2023 Offensive line.

Old Guy

Does anyone know what happened to Andrew Vorhees? He was a pretty highly rated G coming out last year but tore an ACL in combine drills. Wonder if he would be someone that the Packers could sign as a FA and keep him on IR until next season. Would be like stealing a highly rated mid round IOL if he is able to come back from the injury.

58 minutes ago, Tperk said:

Does anyone know what happened to Andrew Vorhees? He was a pretty highly rated G coming out last year but tore an ACL in combine drills. Wonder if he would be someone that the Packers could sign as a FA and keep him on IR until next season. Would be like stealing a highly rated mid round IOL if he is able to come back from the injury.

He's a Raven

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Watching the Niners OL and watching our OL is night and day difference. We really need to get some run graders in there this offseason to open up the run. Makes everything easier on offense 

I wonder what their line would look like without Trent Williams whoever is their 2nd best player.

I bet it's really good.

8 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

I wonder what their line would look like without Trent Williams whoever is their 2nd best player.

I bet it's really good.

He missed weeks 4-6 last season

Week 4: Niners beat Rams 24-9

Rushed 22 times for 88 yds. 4 YPC

Week 5: Niners beat the Panther 37-15

Rushed 27 times for 155 yds. 5.74 YPC

Week 6:  Niners lost 28-14 to the Falcons

Rushed 13 times for 39 yds. 3 YPC

When the Niners don't get the run game going, they tend to lose. Crazy concept 

4 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

He missed weeks 4-6 last season

Week 4: Niners beat Rams 24-9

Rushed 22 times for 88 yds. 4 YPC

Week 5: Niners beat the Panther 37-15

Rushed 27 times for 155 yds. 5.74 YPC

Week 6:  Niners lost 28-14 to the Falcons

Rushed 13 times for 39 yds. 3 YPC

When the Niners don't get the run game going, they tend to lose. Crazy concept 

So what you're saying is when you lose your best linemen, your line gets worse??

I don't believe you. Have any more examples?

2 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

So what you're saying is when you lose your best linemen, your line gets worse??

I don't believe you. Have any more examples?

Niners were 2-1 and averaged 4.54 ypc in games Williams didn't play. Our offense consistently is middle of the pack when it comes to rushing and gets shut down against good defensive fronts

2023: 74.5 yds/g 29th in the league

2022: 122 yds/g 15th in the league

2021: 111.8 yds/g 18th in the league

2020: 132.4 yds/g 8th in the league

2019: 112.2 yds/g 15th in the league

This is with Aaron Jones and Jamal Williams being one of the best 1-2 punches in football and Gute investing a premium pick at RB(Dillon)

We draft OL that are more finesse for pass blocking. Need to beef up the IOL and actually get some maulers in there. Establishing a run game makes life significantly easier for the QB and the rest of the offense.

43 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Niners were 2-1 and averaged 4.54 ypc in games Williams didn't play. Our offense consistently is middle of the pack when it comes to rushing and gets shut down against good defensive fronts

2023: 74.5 yds/g 29th in the league

2022: 122 yds/g 15th in the league

2021: 111.8 yds/g 18th in the league

2020: 132.4 yds/g 8th in the league

2019: 112.2 yds/g 15th in the league

This is with Aaron Jones and Jamal Williams being one of the best 1-2 punches in football and Gute investing a premium pick at RB(Dillon)

We draft OL that are more finesse for pass blocking. Need to beef up the IOL and actually get some maulers in there. Establishing a run game makes life significantly easier for the QB and the rest of the 

Your 3 examples. Awful rams team. Awful Panthers team. Mid falcons team.

Cmon are you really arguing Trent Williams is am insignificant part of their line or their success as a unit?

What's the correlation between bulk rushing totals and wins... think we did OK on the wins front with our "mediocre" rushing attack through the last decade.

lets just give our unit a little break before we tear the whole philosophy apart. I think we can all agree, with hindsight, that the whole bakhtiari thing has been a disaster. But it undoubtedly would look better with Elgton and him in there. 

2 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Your 3 examples. Awful rams team. Awful Panthers team. Mid falcons team.

Cmon are you really arguing Trent Williams is am insignificant part of their line or their success as a unit?

What's the correlation between bulk rushing totals and wins... think we did OK on the wins front with our "mediocre" rushing attack through the last decade.

lets just give our unit a little break before we tear the whole philosophy apart. I think we can all agree, with hindsight, that the whole bakhtiari thing has been a disaster. But it undoubtedly would look better with Elgton and him in there. 

I'm not arguing that Trent Williams is an insignificant part, but their philosophy of running the football and punishing other teams has proving time and time again as a more effective strategy come January. Our blocking philosophy is built for the regular season.  Our run game has **** the bed every playoffs and it's cost us. We run into teams that will punch us in the mouth and we have no response for it. 

17 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

I'm not arguing that Trent Williams is an insignificant part, but their philosophy of running the football and punishing other teams has proving time and time again as a more effective strategy come January. Our blocking philosophy is built for the regular season.  Our run game has **** the bed every playoffs and it's cost us. We run into teams that will punch us in the mouth and we have no response for it. 

I bet they **** the bed in the playoffs if they dont have trent.

I think I'm done with this conversation. 

Edited by HighCalebR

On 10/2/2023 at 1:27 PM, Mdpackfan22 said:

I mean, isn't it pretty much identical philosophically? I feel like you're conflating the Harbaugh years with now.

On 10/2/2023 at 12:11 PM, Mdpackfan22 said:

Watching the Niners OL and watching our OL is night and day difference. We really need to get some run graders in there this offseason to open up the run. Makes everything easier on offense 

Would you rather a have great run blocking OL or a great pass blocking OL?  Because you're rarely going to get both.