Trey Lance Traded to Cowboys

textaz03

On 8/25/2023 at 8:39 PM, PincheJimmy said:

For a fourth rounder , am I crazy thinking that’s too much ?? 🤔 

Really??? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't our current starting QB a 4th round pick?

So, if Lance can pick up the offense in a year and he's faster, younger, more accurate and decisive than Dak and begins lighting up the scoreboard paired with a top 5 defense, are you going to worry about who we may have missed out on in the upcoming draft in the 4th round???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TVScout said:

Maybe we should have picked Hooker in the 2nd?

I wanted this heavily.

I see a lot of McNabb-esque style to Hookers game. It might take a long while before his knee is good and he can perform enough to actually begin his journey to becoming a starter in the NFL. And at 25, to not see him really blossom potentially until 27, 28, would kind of suck. But the potential for what he could be is very alluring for a mid second, and hell I'd have even gone very late first if I knew his knee would heal well. 

From the few contacts I still have in the scouting world (we all got old really freaking quickly....)the word is there's a lot of mixed reports on the projected outcome of his knee. Which is why he was selected so late compared to what he could be come.

Still, I was totally onboard with Hooker in the second. Age aside, he could still easily have a 8, 9, 10 year stretch of playing some really great football as a QB.

Edited by Dallas94Ware

All of Trey Lances pass attempts in high school, plus all his pass attempts in college, plus all his pass attempts in NFL preseason, plus all his pass attempts in NFL regular season are less than the number of passes Geno Smith threw last year. 

Edited by DaBoys
  • Like 1

On 8/29/2023 at 9:44 AM, Dallas94Ware said:

I wanted this heavily.

I see a lot of McNabb-esque style to Hookers game. It might take a long while before his knee is good and he can perform enough to actually begin his journey to becoming a starter in the NFL. And at 25, to not see him really blossom potentially until 27, 28, would kind of suck. But the potential for what he could be is very alluring for a mid second, and hell I'd have even gone very late first if I knew his knee would heal well. 

From the few contacts I still have in the scouting world (we all got old really freaking quickly....)the word is there's a lot of mixed reports on the projected outcome of his knee. Which is why he was selected so late compared to what he could be come.

Still, I was totally onboard with Hooker in the second. Age aside, he could still easily have a 8, 9, 10 year stretch of playing some really great football as a QB.

Comparing him to McNabb isn’t much of a compliment given McNabb’s accuracy shortcomings, but I understand the comparison given their mutual abilities to run the football very well at the collegiate level. 

On 8/29/2023 at 2:05 PM, DaBoys said:

All of Trey Lances pass attempts in high school, plus all his pass attempts in college, plus all his pass attempts in NFL preseason, plus all his pass attempts in NFL regular season are less than the number of passes Geno Smith threw last year. 

Pretty crazy to think about. Talented, but raw. Will be interesting to see if McCarthy and Co. can mold him into a serviceable QB. Long term, it could bode very well for organization.

23 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

Comparing him to McNabb isn’t much of a compliment given McNabb’s accuracy shortcomings, but I understand the comparison given their mutual abilities to run the football very well at the collegiate level. 

McNabb had a tendency to over fire on deep routes, that's a fact. He always put too much on the throw when the the pressure was on. 

But his ability to escape the pocket and extend the play (12 seconds on a Monday Night game vs Dallas one year was nuts!) Was well ahead of his time. The man was also one of the first passers to throw over 30 scores but under 10 picks (2003 or 2004, long before it became a common thing in the league). In fact, I believe up until this more modern passing rules allowing it to happen often, he held the record for the most full seasons started with under 10 picks.

Was part of all that the system in which he played? Surely. But you could say that same thing about Jerry Rice in SF, or Steve Young. Or Peyton, or Tom, or pretty much any good player ever...

I hated hated hated McNabb for the better part of a decade. And as you pointed out, his misfires down field were notorious. But you have to respect his talent and what he did on the field, including four straight NFC title games with a relatively average/slightly above average team. Sure he had Brian Dawkins, and T.O. for like a season and a half, and an oft injured Brian Westbrook. But aside from McNabb himself, no one on that offense will even catch a whiff of the HoF...this wasn't exactly the 2007 Patriots offense you know?

That's what I saw in Hooker. That ability to just love the game enough that he becomes impossible to contain in a pocket, who may not be the best pure passer but has no problem taking those risky shots down field, even if they don't always work. Who is escapable enough from the pocket that those short passing patterns become extremely dangerous to defend against, opening up a ton of YAC chances. With the potential to develop a technique in the pocket sharp enough to carve up a weak set of man coverages.

1 hour ago, Dallas94Ware said:

McNabb had a tendency to over fire on deep routes, that's a fact. He always put too much on the throw when the the pressure was on. 

But his ability to escape the pocket and extend the play (12 seconds on a Monday Night game vs Dallas one year was nuts!) Was well ahead of his time. The man was also one of the first passers to throw over 30 scores but under 10 picks (2003 or 2004, long before it became a common thing in the league). In fact, I believe up until this more modern passing rules allowing it to happen often, he held the record for the most full seasons started with under 10 picks.

Was part of all that the system in which he played? Surely. But you could say that same thing about Jerry Rice in SF, or Steve Young. Or Peyton, or Tom, or pretty much any good player ever...

I hated hated hated McNabb for the better part of a decade. And as you pointed out, his misfires down field were notorious. But you have to respect his talent and what he did on the field, including four straight NFC title games with a relatively average/slightly above average team. Sure he had Brian Dawkins, and T.O. for like a season and a half, and an oft injured Brian Westbrook. But aside from McNabb himself, no one on that offense will even catch a whiff of the HoF...this wasn't exactly the 2007 Patriots offense you know?

That's what I saw in Hooker. That ability to just love the game enough that he becomes impossible to contain in a pocket, who may not be the best pure passer but has no problem taking those risky shots down field, even if they don't always work. Who is escapable enough from the pocket that those short passing patterns become extremely dangerous to defend against, opening up a ton of YAC chances. With the potential to develop a technique in the pocket sharp enough to carve up a weak set of man coverages.

I agree, but you known me for how long now? 20-ish years? You know that I can never resist taking a few digs at McNabb. 

22 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

I agree, but you known me for how long now? 20-ish years? You know that I can never resist taking a few digs at McNabb. 

I went to the 2005 Cowboys-Eagles game in Dallas with a Philly friend, where the Eagles were heavy favorites, but Cowboys dominated.

We were sitting next to this British guy who decided to go to the game just because he was in town, but knew nothing about football. At one point, after a dreadful throw from McNabb, the guy asked “Why does that chap keep throwing the ball into the ground?”

And I’ve been texting that quote to my friend for almost 20 years now, haha.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I went to the 2005 Cowboys-Eagles game in Dallas with a Philly friend, where the Eagles were heavy favorites, but Cowboys dominated.

We were sitting next to this British guy who decided to go to the game just because he was in town, but knew nothing about football. At one point, after a dreadful throw from McNabb, the guy asked “Why does that chap keep throwing the ball into the ground?”

That’s hilarious. 

11 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

Too long. Since Testaverdes year here I believe, when they first opened the DC com forum. Remember when Derek Eagleton banned my IP from it after hiring me as the admin, cause I promoted an Eagles fan to moderator? Haha

11 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

The year McNabb returned from his big knee injury, I forget the year. He was playing at the Giants. My brothers (Giants fans) and I had fourth row seats on the visitor sideline.

By second quarter it was apparent McNabb was never going to be the same, walking back to the bench after every poor attempt on Third down hobbling and limping.

After my fourth beer, I shouted Hey McNabb you're done, careers over you washed up gimp! But, you know, with a ton of Ny style profanity mixed in. Well, when I shouted it, I was close enough to the sideline for him to hear me. He looked right up at me, made eye contact with me, and I repeated it, adding that's right, you heard me you washed up chunky soup eating four time failure!

Best feeling in the world to haggle the QB that made your team look a high school JV team for nearly a decade.

(Safely from the stands, anyway)