Preseason Week #3 GDT: Raiders @ Cowboys (SAT 08/26 6:00 PM MDT)

RaidersAreOne

7 hours ago, reddevil said:

Agree. You can see how strong he is. There were one or two plays where he just walked the olineman straight backwards with ease.

I think he will take time. Who knows what he is like mentally - how tactically smart he is and how he studies, but I find it hard to imagine how he won’t be able to make an impact through his physical traits alone.

The strength is definitely there.  Imo his success is level will be determined by his ability to develop counter moves to the bull rush and his development in his ability to bend the edge / beat OTs on the edge.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Physical tools are there with Tyree. Just have to mold the rest. Gonna be fun watching him progress as the year goes on. 

Maxx is going to be a great mentor. Tyree is basically a rich mans Maxx coming in. Toolsy, but needs to develop. His brute strength and length are going to help push the pocket this year. if he can put it all together the way Maxx did, look out. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, OldManWillis said:

Man I hope we hang on to Silvera, but can see the numbers working against him. Personally I'd keep him and put Jenkins and A. Butler on PS.  Less chance they get poached.

Gota feeling either Tillery or Nichols will be a let down, so be nice to keep some of the youth we invested in.

I think we can get Silvera to safely slide thru waivers to the practice squad.  

I think we keep 9-10 DL with 5 DTs: Nichols, Tillery, Byron Young, Farrell Jr, and Jenkins but 25% chance of Adam Butler making the team instead.  Matthew Butler and Silveria hopefully slide To Practice Squad.

31 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Maxx is going to be a great mentor. Tyree is basically a rich mans Maxx coming in. Toolsy, but needs to develop. His brute strength and length are going to help push the pocket this year. if he can put it all together the way Maxx did, look out. 

I’m not saying you’re wrong, what I am saying is as far as physical abilities and capabilities Crosby and Wilson are very different.  Crosby is way more flexible and bendy and was able to develop counters and setup moves.  Wilson is super strong and has a lengthy frame.  He’ll need to add 1-2 dependable, fully developed moves outside of a bull rush in order to reach his max potential.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Wilson is gonna add at least 5 sacks for Maxx this season with that bull rush. I don’t care if that was a PS level tackle, that’s gonna happen to TEs , RBs and some lineman during the season

Having pressure come from inside and the other outside edge will always help out an already solid defensive end. 
Getting pressure from the other edge keeps QBs from rolling away and pressure inside keeps them from stepping up.  Heck, it’s probably close to half time the 2nd guy off his block that gets the sack because the initial pressure pushed the QB in his direction.

All that said, now that we hopefully have solid DEs I think we should spend a high (round 1 or 2) ‘24 draft pick on a DT who has pass rush ability.  It’s just too expensive to sign quality DTs in FA.  Drafting is the Way to go imo.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, true2form said:

Would have really liked to see Wilson dominate lower competition. That’s what I expect from a top 10 pick. Just have to hope it’s the rust and nothing more. Seemed to get caught in the wash more than anything last night. 

I honestly expect a few sacks from Wilson his rookie year where he just bull rushes the OLman into a sack AND solid run defense, but not much more.  His strength is top notch but he’s tall and plays upright too much, which makes it easy for OLman to mitigate that strength.  He’s IMO rawer then most believe.  I’m not saying the tools aren’t there, he’s the type of guy who leaves you wishing you got more from him year 1 then has big jumps in years 2 and 3.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dessie said:

I just watched some of the game and especially looked at the Dline and Wilson in particular, my thoughts:

Tyree Wilson has elite length and power (that we already knew), great bull rush a couple times but that is all he has really at this stage (or that is all he showed), no counters, no advanced hand usage or fighting and was slow off the snap a couple times, you could see he was a yard or two behind Willis after 2 or 3 strides. Definitely raw tools to work with there and as Maxx was raw coming out that could bode well with both those guys working together.

DTs Young, Farrell and Butler were disappointing.

Butler just get handled easily and his hands are not heavy at all, he flashes quickness at times but I wouldn't have him making the team.

Young looks like he is strong and has a solid punch but then gets bogged down and doesn't know what to do when his first move doesn't work, kind of like Wilson a bit. I think he makes the team by virtue of being a 3rd round pick of course but he's got a lot of finessing to add to his game IMO. I realise he missed time on PUP and it shows I think.

Farrell Jr has improved from last year but is still only average at best. Pass rush even in 1 on 1 is very limited and he got his hips turned around a few times in run defence so was easily washed out. He's better than Butler and Young at this stage but I'm not sure I'd have him making the team either.

Silvera looks the best DT to me of all the young guys. He's the strongest, plays with the best leverage, has violent hands and if you leave him 1 on 1 he marches the OG back. He's obviously got a lot to learn but outside of Adam Butler and John Jenkins he looked the best DT we have. 

Overall, I think we'll be yet again below average to bad at DT this year. Tillery is a waste of space in run defence and flashes in pass rush but you simply can't rely on his assignment. Nicholls is an unknown really, did he play at his talent level last year or was he injured and hindered?. The two vets Butler and Jenkins look the best bets IMO. If it was me (and the FO won't do this) but I'd go with Jenkins and Silvera at NT and Young, Adam Butler and Nicholls at DT with Farrell Jr initially on the team but I'd be looking for an upgrade in other teams cuts. This DT group is not going to cut it when the bullets really start flying. I'd try to bring Farrell Jr to the PS. 

At DE it's Crosby, Jones, Wilson, Willis and Koonce for me, maybe Plant makes the PS.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I think we can get Silvera to safely slide thru waivers to the practice squad.  

I think we keep 9-10 DL with 5 DTs: Nichols, Tillery, Byron Young, Farrell Jr, and Jenkins but 25% chance of Adam Butler making the team instead.  Matthew Butler and Silveria hopefully slide To Practice Squad.

Silvera has easily outplayed all the other young DTs and has the better fundamentals. He's earned his spot over all the others IMO.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Silvera has easily outplayed all the other young DTs and has the better fundamentals. He's earned his spot over all the others IMO.

Don't be surprised if Wilson improves quickly in that first drive he looked like a guy knocking off the rust still almost had a sack driving the RT into the QB. But the 2nd drive he looked way better just that fast. Like his confidence was already starting to grow.

On 8/27/2023 at 8:55 PM, raidr4life said:

Don't be surprised if Wilson improves quickly in that first drive he looked like a guy knocking off the rust still almost had a sack driving the RT into the QB. But the 2nd drive he looked way better just that fast. Like his confidence was already starting to grow.

Yeh absolutely, he clearly is undercooked at this point having only had a few days practice. The upside is clearly there, he has the raw ingredients for sure and the couple bull rushes were very impressive especially when he drove the RT right into the ground and almost went past the sack, if any of our other Dline got any penetration at all that would have been a sack instead of a 15 yard gain or whatever it was. 

I liked what I saw from Wilson, and we know through Maxx that he can successfully work on his techniques if he has the appetite.

Edited by Darbsk

Finally watched it loved seeing guys play when it’s not all good

wilson- on that td by Grier idc what anyone one say he didn’t trust his foot.  That’s a easy change of direction play imo. He has a mean bull rush and I still say I’d stick him at 3t

williams 32 the rb- looks better than zues

Mayer- good on clean up plays still not impressed 

masterson- solidified #3 lb

we need lbs

grier with dak calling play’s getting us

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Finally watched it loved seeing guys play when it’s not all good

wilson- on that td by Grier idc what anyone one say he didn’t trust his foot.  That’s a easy change of direction play imo. He has a mean bull rush and I still say I’d stick him at 3t

williams 32 the rb- looks better than zues

Mayer- good on clean up plays still not impressed 

masterson- solidified #3 lb

we need lbs

grier with dak calling play’s getting us

Nah Wison going to push so many sacks into Crosby and vice versa.

• Like 1