Week 1 Games

Leader

16 hours ago, LLcheesehead12 said:

I was actually surprised the media wasn't already bumping them before last night.  And I had the week 4 game circled well before then and still would even had the result last night gone the Chiefs way.  Campbell has them playing some fundamentally sound and focused football, a brand of Lions football that hasn't been seen in the lifetimes of some of the current fan generations.  So yes they are different.

But on the flipside ... You really can't argue the Chiefs did their best 2022 Packers impersonation out there.  And I mean seriously, they really had a lot of similarities to our team last year, and I'd say Andy Reid did two bad things that killed his team:

1. Signing and starting Amari Rodgers Toney out there

2. Borrowing LaFleur's junky playbook and killing drives by using it

Obvious only one game disclaimer...  But Mahomes reminded me more of 2018 Rodgers.  Most of the missed throws were way too short or way too long.  He was breaking the pocket whether pressure was there or not, and a few times created a better situation for the pass rushers when he did it.  And he ran for a first down or a few yards many times instead of making a more risky throw, or taking a check down.  

He also has his own frustrated face.  Rodgers had the "I am perfect, you are beneath me," scowl, when things weren't going his way.  Mahomes has a "roasted at an award show and trying to play along, even though I am actually pissed," smirk and look into the distance.

29 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Obvious only one game disclaimer...  But Mahomes reminded me more of 2018 Rodgers.  Most of the missed throws were way too short or way too long.  He was breaking the pocket whether pressure was there or not, and a few times created a better situation for the pass rushers when he did it.  And he ran for a first down or a few yards many times instead of making a more risky throw, or taking a check down.  

He also has his own frustrated face.  Rodgers had the "I am perfect, you are beneath me," scowl, when things weren't going his way.  Mahomes has a "roasted at an award show and trying to play along, even though I am actually pissed," smirk and look into the distance.

Mahomes had every right to be pissed. Chiefs WRs were dropping passes like like crazy. You could have caught half those passes Toney dropped. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I'm a bit shocked Tony is still employed today. 

I honestly don't know the difference:

Bo Melton:  https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/bo-melton-1.html

https://twitter.com/MathBomb/status/1514287303220502540

Kadarius Toney:  https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/kadarius-toney-1.html

https://twitter.com/MathBomb/status/1387960941032230922

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I don’t watch enough NCAA to say how they performed but Toney obviously has the size advantage and was looked at as a much higher value. He could still turn out to be very good. Davante had a pattern of terrible hands in his sophomore year.

I do think Melton has a good shot as a call up being that he has field stretching speed  and has been here longer than the rookies.  Heath earned his spot, but he’s as green as it gets and doesn’t have top end speed. We’ll see what the coaches think tomorrow. 

Edited by Refugee

1 hour ago, Refugee said:

I don’t watch enough NCAA to say how they performed but Toney obviously has the size advantage and was looked at as a much higher value. He could still turn out to be very good. Davante had a pattern of terrible hands in his sophomore year.

I do think Melton has a good shot as a call up being that he has field stretching speed  and has been here longer than the rookies.  Heath earned his spot, but he’s as green as it gets and doesn’t have top end speed. We’ll see what the coaches think tomorrow. 

Toney is 5'11.5 and 193 pounds

Melton is 5'11.0 and 189 pounds

I don't have a lot of confidence in Melton.  But I have the same confidence in Toney.  One of them gets PT, the other is on a PS, and is likely the second WR of choice from that PS.

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Toney is 5'11.5 and 193 pounds

Melton is 5'11.0 and 189 pounds

I don't have a lot of confidence in Melton.  But I have the same confidence in Toney.  One of them gets PT, the other is on a PS, and is likely the second WR of choice from that PS.

So he has the advantage, then. Toney produced in the SEC and after the Giants let him go, was making some progress in KC. He has a 64 yd punt return in the SB. They see him as a versatile weapon and he might still become that but obviously just had a bad game in the spotlight of opening day. We’ll see how he responds and I guess he just had meniscus surgery in July so probably hasn’t gotten reps to get locked in yet. Going 20th overall doesn’t mean you will pan out, but it means you have some special qualities that evaluators think will translate. Ht/Wt comparisons are not really going to supersede production. I hope both pan out but it’s a tough business. 

Edited by Refugee

On 9/9/2023 at 8:15 AM, ThatJerkDave said:

so then Mahomes and Rodgers get upset when receivers drop catchable passes, mahomes was only off a little on several throws, K. Toney was targeted 5 times and dropped 4, 1 for a pick six Mahomes played well enough to win, his receivers didn't.

both Rodgers and Mahomes get frustrated and show it when receivers screw up, and both are/where better then everyone else, I thought thats has always been a forgone conclusion, right?😁

Edited by turf toe

4 minutes ago, turf toe said:

so then Mahomes and Rodgers get upset when receivers drop catchable passes, mahomes was only off a little on several throws, K. Toney was targeted 5 times and dropped 4, 1 for a pick six Mahomes played well enough to win, his receivers didn't

Correct, they both get pouty.  Mahomes didn't play very well either though.  It is easy to blame Toney as the number one bum, because he is.  The Chiefs looked like some of the Packers teams, especially the McCarthy teams, that lacked patience.  Opponent is chugging down the field 3-5 yards at a time, burning the clock away.  Chiefs get the ball and they try to score immediately.  Playing the entire game as if there were 35 seconds left.  If we can't get a 40 yard chunk play, we aren't moving the ball.  Not that they can't, just that they don't.  

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Correct, they both get pouty.  Mahomes didn't play very well either though.  It is easy to blame Toney as the number one bum, because he is.  The Chiefs looked like some of the Packers teams, especially the McCarthy teams, that lacked patience.  Opponent is chugging down the field 3-5 yards at a time, burning the clock away.  Chiefs get the ball and they try to score immediately.  Playing the entire game as if there were 35 seconds left.  If we can't get a 40 yard chunk play, we aren't moving the ball.  Not that they can't, just that they don't.  

agree, KC looked flat the same way we have for the first game several seasons recently, I think it has to do with avoiding mistakes, not gambling, and the deeper routes tend to be the safer routes to use, and KC's mo just like ours is big chunk plays.

and QB's who rarely make mistakes like Mahomes or Rodgers push players to rise up, when they don't the QB is demanding accountability with a scowl, can it become over board, sure, but I'd rather that then the opposite, a dropped pass often puts the offense on the bench, as it did with Toney's 4 drops, every one was a drive ender, 1 a pick six, KC lost because of Toney's stone hands, Mahomes imho had every right to scowl at his receiver, and Toney needs to improve on that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, turf toe said:

agree, KC looked flat the same way we have for the first game several seasons recently, I think it has to do with avoiding mistakes, not gambling, and the deeper routes tend to be the safer routes to use, and KC's mo just like ours is big chunk plays.

and QB's who rarely make mistakes like Mahomes or Rodgers push players to rise up, when they don't the QB is demanding accountability with a scowl, can it become over board, sure, but I'd rather that then the opposite, a dropped pass often puts the offense on the bench, as it did with Toney's 4 drops, every one was a drive ender, 1 a pick six, KC lost because of Toney's stone hands, Mahomes imho had every right to scowl at his receiver, and Toney needs to improve on that.

The Chiefs need to do better than Toney on their receiving group.  Their top 3 WRs on the depth chart are:  MVS, Toney, and Skyy Moore.  I like MVS a lot, but we know he has his own niche, and he needs to be a compliment to other WRs. Moore is a guy that I really liked in the draft, but they have been bringing him along very slowly.  He was a second rounder with only 33 targets, and he was competing for those targets with JuJu Smith-Shuster and whatever a Justin Watson is.  And Toney is a reclamation project from the Giants.  He was so bad that the Giants gave up on him, a first round pick, after 12 games.  And the Giants WR room is not stacked by anyone's definition.  The Chiefs also signed another Giants cast-off Richie James.  

Without Travis Kelce, the Chiefs have a complimentary WR and a bunch of bums for pass catchers.