53 Man Roster Announced

Jakuvious

Thought I'd make this it's own new thread for this for proper visibility.

https://www.chiefs.com/news/chiefs-2023-roster-down-to-nfl-mandated-53

Released

Blanton, Kendall (TE - Missouri)
Bush, Deon (DB - Miami)
Reiter, Austin (C - South Florida)
Shelton, Danny (NT - Washington)  

Waived

Bootle, Dicaprio (DB - Nebraska)
Boye-Doe, Ekow (DB - Kansas State)
Buechele, Shane (QB - Southern Methodist)
Bushman, Matt (TE - Brigham Young)
Christiansen, Cole (LB - Army)
Cook, Anthony (DB - Texas)
Ealy, Jerrion (RB - Mississippi)
Fryfogle, Ty (WR - Indiana)
Gathings, Izaiah (WR - Middle Tennessee)
Godrick, Chukwuebuka (T - No College)
Green, Juwan (WR - Albany, N.Y.)
Gutierrez, Sebastian (T - Minot State)
Hailassie, Kahlef (DB - Western Kentucky)
Hardy, Anderson (T - Appalachian State)
Hoskins, Phil (DT - Kentucky)
Jackson, Lamar (DB - Nebraska)
Jones, Truman (DE - Harvard)
Kaindoh, Joshua (DE - Florida State)
Kinnard, Darian (T - Kentucky)
Lowe, Duron (DB - Liberty)
Norman, Isaiah (DB - Marshall)
Oladokun, Chris (QB - South Dakota State)
Perine, La'Mical (RB - Florida)
Powell, Cornell (WR - Clemson)
Prince, Deneric (RB - Tulsa)
Scott, Ty (WR - Missouri State)
Taylor, Reese (DB - Purdue)
Williams, Chris (DT - Wagner)
Wise, Daniel (DE - Kansas)  

Waived, Injured

Carvin, Jerome (G - Tennessee)
Fatukasi, Olakunle (LB - Rutgers)
Remigio, Nikko (WR - Fresno State)

Traded to Panthers

Smith-Marsette, Ihmir (WR - Iowa)

Reserve/Did Not Report

Jones, Chris (DT - Mississippi State)  

Acquired Via Trade with Raiders

Farrell, Neil (DT - Louisiana State)

• Like 1

At a glance, a few mild surprises, but nothing truly shocking. I thought Shelton would make it, especially without Jones to start the season. Smith-Marsette being traded is a shame but not surprising. I kind of thought either Bush or Bootle would make it given Sneed's recent health issues. I think this would only leave 8 DBs if Sneed is out week 1. But, they would know more about Sneed than me, so maybe they aren't concerned there. I know nothing about Neil Farrell, so will try to read up there. I know some expected Prince and/or Perine to be kept over CEH, but always seemed unlikely to me. Feels like the nail in the coffin here for Kinnard and Kaindoh, though either signing to the PS wouldn't surprise me that much.

There are definitely some PS guys in here, though. One of the QBs will almost unquestionably be back. The older guys skip waivers, so Shelton, Reiter, Bush, and Blanton (least likely of the 4, IMO) could only be gone temporarily. Remigio, Prince, Perine, Bootle, Bushman, Buechele, all seem likely to hang around in some form. Whether that's a new deal after roster reshuffles, or the practice squad, if they don't get claimed.

I am curious what in all this got us salary cap compliant. The shift from top 51 to the full 53 was going to put us over cap. We'd save a very small amount of money from the Bush, Kaindoh, and Blanton cuts, but not enough to pay for one player, let alone two. I haven't seen a solid answer on when we get any of the cap relief from Jones not getting paid, and we'd only need a week or two of that, honestly. But I doubt that kicks in until the relevant weeks of the season.

So if I'm counting correctly

QB (2) - Mahomes, Gabbert

RB (3) - Pacheco, CEH, McKinnon

WR (7) - MVS, Toney, Moore, James, Watson, Ross, Rice

TE (3) - Kelce, Gray, Bell

OL (10) - Thuney, Humphrey, T.Smith, D.Smith, Taylor, Allegretti, Morris, Niang, Wanogo, Callendo

DL (10) - Nandi, FAU, Karlaftis, Wharton, Danna, Herring, Thompson, Farrell, Coburn, Dickerson

LB (6) - Gay, Bolton, Tranquil, Chenal, Cochrane, Cam Jones

DB (9) - Reid, Edwards, Sneed, Williams, McDuffie, Watson, Cook, Conner, Nic Jones

ST (3) - Butker, Townsend, Winchester

Edited by TedLavie
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

So if I'm counting correctly

QB (2) - Mahomes, Gabbert

RB (3) - Pacheco, CEH, McKinnon

WR (7) - MVS, Toney, Moore, James, Watson, Ross, Rice

TE (3) - Kelce, Gray, Bell

OL (10) - Thuney, Humphrey, T.Smith, D.Smith, Taylor, Allegretti, Morris, Niang, Wanogo, Callendo

DL (10) - Nandi, FAU, Karlaftis, Wharton, Danna, Herring, Thompson, Farrell, Coburn, Dickerson

LB (6) - Gay, Bolton, Tranquil, Chenal, Cochrane, Jones

DB (9) - Reid, Edwards, Sneed, Williams, McDuffie, Watson, Cook, Conner, Jones

ST (3) - Butker, Townsend, Winchester

I was waiting for some less lazy to me to post it in a form like this lol. Thank you very much.

Definitely a couple surprising last inclusions, with it laid out like this. Would be lying if I said Cam Jones was on my radar to make the final roster. Would've thought one of Niang or Caliendo would get dropped as well. And then Matt Dickerson is ultimately who I thought would've been cut instead of Shelton.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I am curious what in all this got us salary cap compliant. The shift from top 51 to the full 53 was going to put us over cap. We'd save a very small amount of money from the Bush, Kaindoh, and Blanton cuts, but not enough to pay for one player, let alone two. I haven't seen a solid answer on when we get any of the cap relief from Jones not getting paid, and we'd only need a week or two of that, honestly. But I doubt that kicks in until the relevant weeks of the season.

Oh hello, got my answer on this one. We are officially waaaaaaaaaay under the cap now lol. Not that we can spend it, but this was NOT how I thought this worked.

• Like 1

Just now, Jakuvious said:

I was waiting for some less lazy to me to post it in a form like this lol. Thank you very much.

Definitely a couple surprising last inclusions, with it laid out like this. Would be lying if I said Cam Jones was on my radar to make the final roster. Would've thought one of Niang or Caliendo would get dropped as well. And then Matt Dickerson is ultimately who I thought would've been cut instead of Shelton.

I haven't really been in tune with preseason games to be fair, but I had to google who Cam Jones was if I'm honest. Surprised that we kept 6 LBs honestly. But good for him, I always root for those UDFAs.

I'm surprised we kept Niang, Morris AND Wanogo. I did expect Niang or Wanogo to go. I think they're still in danger of losing their spot should we claim someone from another team.

16 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

I haven't really been in tune with preseason games to be fair, but I had to google who Cam Jones was if I'm honest. Surprised that we kept 6 LBs honestly. But good for him, I always root for those UDFAs.

I'm surprised we kept Niang, Morris AND Wanogo. I did expect Niang or Wanogo to go. I think they're still in danger of losing their spot should we claim someone from another team.

I was confident in Morris and Wanogho making it. Wanogho looked the best of the backup OL in preseason, so I figured he'd backup the OT spots, Allegretti would backup the interior, and then you'd at least keep Morris around just for draft value and the fact that someone would unquestionably claim him. So yeah, Niang feels like overkill now, to me. But maybe they like the progress and think he's still in the cards to replace Smith down the road? I dunno. Of course, some of these will be cut in the next few days anyways as I'm sure we claim a guy or two from some other team. So maybe Niang will just be slightly late out.

Here is the 53 in a fairly tidy format.
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2023/8/29/23850890/chiefs-roster-53-man-2023-nfl-season

To my eye, they waived those that they thought might not be claimed. The trade of ISM falls that way. If they waived him he would be gone so they got what they could get. As much as I like Perine they can probably re-sign him to the PS.

This just posted
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/kansas_city_chiefs_announce_initial_2023_53_man_roster/s1_16880_39189987

QUARTERBACKS
Patrick Mahomes
Blaine Gabbert

RUNNING BACKS
Isiah Pacheco
Jerick McKinnon
Clyde Edwards-Helaire

WIDE RECEIVERS
Kadarius Toney
Marquez Valdes-Scantling
Skyy Moore
Richie James
Rashee Rice
Justyn Ross
Justin Watson

TIGHT ENDS
Travis Kelce
Noah Gray
Blake Bell

OFFENSIVE LINE
Donovan Smith
Joe Thuney
Creed Humphrey
Trey Smith
Jawaan Taylor
Prince Tega Wanogho
Mike Caliendo
Nick Allegretti
Lucas Niang
Wanya Morris

DEFENSIVE LINE
George Karlaftis
Mike Danna
Felix Anudike-Uzomah
Derrick Nnadi
Keondre Coburn
Tershawn Wharton
Malik Herring
BJ Thompson
Neil Farrell Jr. (acquired via trade from Raiders on Tuesday, August 29th)
Matt Dickerson

LINEBACKERS
Nick Bolton
Willie Gay
Drue Tranquill
Leo Chenal
Jack Cochrane
Cam Jones

CORNERBACKS
L’Jarius Sneed
Trent McDuffie
Jaylen Watson
Joshua Williams
Nic Jones

SAFETIES
Justin Reid
Bryan Cook
Mike Edwards
Chamarri Conner

KICKER
Harrison Butker

PUNTER
Tommy Townsend

LONG SNAPPER
James Winchester

Edited by onejayhawk

I dig the 5 OT’s.   Likely won’t stay that way all year,  but Taylor definitely isn’t ready.. and we still haven’t seen enough of PTW or Niang.  

Tbh if I had to pick one fail.  It would be CEH.  As probably his biggest supporter left,   He moves quicker from the sidelines to celebrate a score than he does with the ball in his hands.   Perine was hungry.   

Edited by RedGold

The only KC player claimed on waivers in Khalef Hailassie (to Cleveland).

All others are free agents and good to sign up to the practice squad.

Perine, Boye-Doe, Kaindoh, Kinnard, Prince, Bushman, Bootle, Buechele, Hoskins ...

EDIT: And I missed it: Chiefs claimed DB Darius Rush from IND - so another head is on the chopping block.
Wouldn't be surprised if it was an OL.

Edited by KC_Guy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Sad to see Hailassie get claimed.

Maybe I just completely missed seeing him, but I don’t get keeping LB Cam Jones. So he’s my guess for being cut. 

I think with no Full Back we need a dedicated core special teamer? Only thing I can think of

5 hours ago, Chiefer said:

I think with no Full Back we need a dedicated core special teamer? Only thing I can think of

Considering Cam Jones, I would say you are exactly right.

We already lost our ace gunner--Nazeeh Johnson--for the season. We need to make a few other positional concessions. Toub is very good but we saw last year that he cannot work with nothing.