2024 Draft Prospects Thread

beardown3231

1 hour ago, Ty21 said:

You really gotta drop the Bagent superhero narrative. There’s absolutely nothing Bagent could do next year to deter us from drafting a qb if Fields fails. Bagent isn’t that guy. His ceiling is a backup qb. It’s such a Chicago bears fan thing to take an UDFA small school player and try to make him into an elite prospect in your head but he’s nowhere near that and no one ever is. 

DLL made fun of me a bit for prematurely getting annoyed with Bagent vs Fields narratives, but they have definitely landed.  The one thing I did not see coming was "Bagent vs Caleb Williams:  more complicated than it might seem"

6 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

DLL made fun of me a bit for prematurely getting annoyed with Bagent vs Fields narratives, but they have definitely landed.  The one thing I did not see coming was "Bagent vs Caleb Williams:  more complicated than it might seem"

If this would actually become a question I may have to stop watching football and start watching Pack Burro Racing.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

I believe you're looking for the Western Pack Burro ***-ociation and you've got to like Tom Strandness' chances this year. 

Thank you for this invaluable information. I will be sure to bookmark this. You are a gentleman and a scholar.

35 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

For the record, if the Bears have the #1 pick, whether that's because they finished 3-14 or Carolina finished 3-14, I'm taking Williams at #1 no matter what

…same. No disrespect to Fields but Fields never had the same ceiling 

5 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Nothing his dad is saying makes any sense though. The pros far outweigh the cons (if there are any) for him to leave

Agreed, the risk of getting injured or getting drafted onto a more dysfunctional team is always a risk. Plus the sooner they declare the sooner they can rake in the bigger contracts. I know there is money being tossed around in college ball now (openly now at least) but that is chump change compared to what a top end QB will fetch. Plus it is hard to be a top QB with the cockiness to believe that you are going to be the cornerstone to build around IMO. 

9 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Agreed, the risk of getting injured or getting drafted onto a more dysfunctional team is always a risk. Plus the sooner they declare the sooner they can rake in the bigger contracts. I know there is money being tossed around in college ball now (openly now at least) but that is chump change compared to what a top end QB will fetch. Plus it is hard to be a top QB with the cockiness to believe that you are going to be the cornerstone to build around IMO. 

If he hates the idea of playing somewhere, declare and pull an Eli or Elway. No matter who has the #1 pick you're probably going to a franchise who stinks with crappy players and some form of dysfunction in the FO

7 hours ago, Ty21 said:

You really gotta drop the Bagent superhero narrative. There’s absolutely nothing Bagent could do next year to deter us from drafting a qb if Fields fails. Bagent isn’t that guy. His ceiling is a backup qb. It’s such a Chicago bears fan thing to take an UDFA small school player and try to make him into an elite prospect in your head but he’s nowhere near that and no one ever is. 

While the odds of him being even Josh McCown level are -extremely- unlikely (ie high level game manager), let alone on the level of anyone better, he is at this point an unknown quantity worth exploring further, if Fields fails to earn his spot. There is at, at the very least, a NON ZERO chance of that happening, and it would frankly be negligent to not explore that and understand what you actually have, particularly when there is historical precedence for overlooked qb success at the nfl level, including the current GOAT, and other qbs in the top 10 of all time, while the cost of drafting another one is usually at least one first rounder, likely 2. 

6 hours ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Except that's not the equation....

Arizona already announced  they're openly tanking this season (which as a side issue, is something that needs to cause changes in how the draft order works, maybe some kind of weighted lottery for position like other leagues use).   Carolina might be bad (hopefully REALLY bad) but I doubt they're going to outdo Arizona.

So anyone betting on us getting #1 via Carolina needs take that into account...

Which means your cost for whoever the top QB is, ends up being both firsts at least (and the players you would have picked with those picks), and that's just moving from #2 to #1.

Even then though, it's STILL not Bagent (or Fields) vs the #2 QB

It's Bagent (or Fields), what looks to be a generational receiver (or a top pass rusher), and an additional future first round draft pick when you trade #2 to whatever team needs a QB over taking the #2 QB yourself.

If you're going to do the math here, at least do all the math.

Edited by Epyon

13 minutes ago, Epyon said:

what looks to be a generational receiver

I don’t see the sense in drafting a receiver that early, even if he is generational. At least when you consider the potential Bagent would have as WR1. He doesn’t have any experience at the position, but his 40 is in like with Anquan Boldin’s. And even if it’s unlikely he makes it as a hall of fame receiver, the odds are non zero, so it would be negligent not to at least try. Hell, if the cards fall in his favor, he might be the one throwing to himself.