2023-24 College Football Prospect Watch

KingTitan

Went last night and watched some Patrick Paul tape (Texas Tech and UTSA) and was not impressed.  Dude has a terrible punch, so he fails to do much to inhibit defenders on first contact, and he's painfully slow when he tries to pull or get to the second level.

Really hope that I just happen to be watching two bad games.  But he looks like a Day 3 guy to me, and I think we have enough backup tackles on the team already.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 615finest said:

Can somebody explain this to me? lol AJ Brown? I don’t see that at all and calling him a possession WR is wild

He literally said he reminds him of AJ Brown then listed how he’s not anything like AJ Brown  lol. He’s closer to Devonta Smith than AJ Brown. That’s one of the worst comparisons I’ve seen.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Went last night and watched some Patrick Paul tape (Texas Tech and UTSA) and was not impressed.  Dude has a terrible punch, so he fails to do much to inhibit defenders on first contact, and he's painfully slow when he tries to pull or get to the second level.

Really hope that I just happen to be watching two bad games.  But he looks like a Day 3 guy to me, and I think we have enough backup tackles on the team already.

Same. Very inconsistent with placement. I feel like I saw him literally doing an Daley/Dillard chasing of the defender that beat him. 
I really want to see our OL Coach. It would give me more confidence in take a guy that needs some seasoning. 

I do like the top 2 guys. But I don't think they will be a homerun like some think. I've seen Alt compared to people like Jake Mathews and Mike McGlinchey opposed to Joe Thomas and Tony Boselli.

15 minutes ago, 615finest said:

Can somebody explain this to me? lol AJ Brown? I don’t see that at all and calling him a possession WR is wild

completely insane eval. he's closer to a will fuller than an AJ brown (though imo has the potential to be less one-trick than fuller)

45 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Same. Very inconsistent with placement. I feel like I saw him literally doing an Daley/Dillard chasing of the defender that beat him. 
I really want to see our OL Coach. It would give me more confidence in take a guy that needs some seasoning. 

I do like the top 2 guys. But I don't think they will be a homerun like some think. I've seen Alt compared to people like Jake Mathews and Mike McGlinchey opposed to Joe Thomas and Tony Boselli.

If we're taking someone that needs seasoning, I'd like them to at least be athletic.  And Paul does not look athletic on tape.

For later round guys with traits, I really like Christian Jones a lot.  His tape in the playoffs was pretty bad, but his Bama tape was excellent.

As for the top 2, I don't see a McGlinchey comparison.  I think player comps are usually a little dumb, myself.  Unless a guy jumps out as reminding you of someone, just talk about their traits and what they do.  Stretching for comps gets you this Troy Franklin-AJ Brown silliness.

Alt is a powerful run blocker, a solid pass blocker, and has two years of high end tape.  I haven't seen him struggle though a game once.  Smooth mover, sheds and passes defenders easily.  He plays a little high, but that's because he's like 6'8" so it's to be expected.

Ignore the comps, and just watch how he does against a top level DL here (by my count, he loses like one rep to Tuimoloau at 3:30ish, and one to Tylieke at 6:30, where he successfully blocked JT, then passed him off before recovering to try and block Tylieke stunting on the edge).  But you'll see many more instances of him controlling DLs with his length, having an answer to pretty much every pass rushing move, and moving smoothly, quickly, and efficiently both in space and on the line.

I'm all in for Alt unless Marvin Harrison is there.  In my mind, Alt is every bit as good a tackle prospect as Nabers is a WR prospect, if not better.

Incidentally, it's also some good tape for Pat Coogan and Blake Fisher, who would be solid picks later on.  Ohio State has as good a DL, across the board, as you're going to find in college football.  So anyone who has good tape as an OL against them is a stud.

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 4

speaking of troy franklin, i'm actually warming on him if we go WR in the second. i don't know that he's necessarily a #1 guy, but he could be a great #2 and a nice complement to d-hop as a really serious field-stretching deep threat, who also seems to have better-than-average route running ability for someone of his build and skillset.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

If we're taking someone that needs seasoning, I'd like them to at least be athletic.  And Paul does not look athletic on tape.

For later round guys with traits, I really like Christian Jones a lot.  His tape in the playoffs was pretty bad, but his Bama tape was excellent.

As for the top 2, I don't see a McGlinchey comparison.  I think player comps are usually a little dumb, myself.  Unless a guy jumps out as reminding you of someone, just talk about their traits and what they do.  Stretching for comps gets you this Troy Franklin-AJ Brown silliness.

Alt is a powerful run blocker, a solid pass blocker, and has two years of high end tape.  I haven't seen him struggle though a game once.  Smooth mover, sheds and passes defenders easily.  He plays a little high, but that's because he's like 6'8" so it's to be expected.

Ignore the comps, and just watch how he does against a top level DL here (by my count, he loses like one rep to Tuimoloau at 3:30ish, and one to Tylieke at 6:30, where he successfully blocked JT, then passed him off before recovering to try and block Tylieke stunting on the edge).  But you'll see many more instances of him controlling DLs with his length, having an answer to pretty much every pass rushing move, and moving smoothly, quickly, and efficiently both in space and on the line.

I'm all in for Alt unless Marvin Harrison is there.  In my mind, Alt is every bit as good a tackle prospect as Nabers is a WR prospect, if not better.

Incidentally, it's also some good tape for Pat Coogan and Blake Fisher, who would be solid picks later on.  Ohio State has as good a DL, across the board, as you're going to find in college football.  So anyone who has good tape as an OL against them is a stud.

Which reminds me, I’ve seen Delmar Glaze in a few Senior Bowl clips, liked him and decided to check him out.

Watched his tape vs Ohio State, liked it, can pretty much add him to the list of OTs I am a fan of in this class. Big guy with a big frame but light on his feet and moves laterally well, pretty good hand placement. He plays with leverage and anchors really well. Especially if we’re talking sleepers, like him a lot. Has experience playing on both sides.

• Like 1

So here's a followup, for comparison, so I can demonstrate just how good Alt is on tape.  This is Duke's OL, with Graham Barton at left tackle.  Barton is a guy who may be a guard, may be a tackle, but is being called a mid to late first round pick.

At 4:30ish, you'll see him miss on a rep.  He blocks his guy, Mascoll, easily (he dominates him most of the game), but Trotter comes around on a blitz, and he has to shed Mascoll and block Trotter, which he can't do.  He barely gets one hand on Trotter, but doesn't block him and Trotter blows up the play.

Alt, in the clip above, is able to pass JT off, and get fully in front of Tylieke, who still blows up the play, but he's a powerful DT, so of course he does, but Alt still buys his QB like a full second more.

Now don't get me wrong, this is overall some very good tape for Barton (if you want to see him actually struggle, Florida State).  He looks to me like a guy who can play tackle, but is probably an elite guard.  But you can see watching him move, he doesn't have that gliding movement that guys like Alt and Fashanu have.  Really great tackles have this way of moving where they can just be on the other side of the field in what feels like one step. 

It's one reason length is so important in a tackle.  It just makes for a wider area where they can be in the way.  Barton moves efficiently, and effectively, and he holds up extremely well to defenders in his face and when they come to him.

But, when something goes wrong, he doesn't have that elite recovery, where he can be somewhere else before the defender can get around him.  Alt and Fashanu have that in spades.  Fuaga has it to a lesser degree, and so does Mims.

You can see the same issues with Troy Fataunu and sometimes Latham.  They just don't have that elite tackle movement you want on a guy who's playing left side, and usually dealing with the toughest pass rushers and the most complicated blitz packages.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

Rome Odunze is now my current desire in the 1st round. 

I think Alt might be gone and I don't want Fashanu. 

I think we can get someone comparable with the same tools later on. 

I don't know. It actually feels like with the depth with O lineman this year, he will be there. And he may be the best option.

Feel like I could see Rome, Marvin and Malik going right before us. Doubt it, but maybe even Bowers sneaking in before us. Feel like the top 3 are probably locked in to QB.

I feel like Alt will be the sure fire BPA when we are on the clock. Unless we wanted to go Bowers, which is risky because of the needs we have, he better be a frickin guy if we are taking him in our situation.

I just want hits. Look at what the Lions have done. Just drafting guys who make plays. Give me that. Take the best available. We got the coaches at the right positions to coach em up.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, twotonebluenation said:

I don't know. It actually feels like with the depth with O lineman this year, he will be there. And he may be the best option.

Feel like I could see Rome, Marvin and Malik going right before us. Doubt it, but maybe even Bowers sneaking in before us. Feel like the top 3 are probably locked in to QB.

I feel like Alt will be the sure fire BPA when we are on the clock. Unless we wanted to go Bowers, which is risky because of the needs we have, he better be a frickin guy if we are taking him in our situation.

I just want hits. Look at what the Lions have done. Just drafting guys who make plays. Give me that. Take the best available. We got the coaches at the right positions to coach em up.

I think Alt is by far the best OT in the draft.  I think the Chargers will take him. They have invested first round picks in Johnston and Willams at WR. Allen said he wants to come back. And Harbaugh doesn't come off as someone that will want to spend another first round pick on a WR. 

Alt can play RT.

or

I can see the Jets leapfrog us to get the best OT.  I'm not sure the drop-off from Fashanu to the next guy is that big. But the drop-off from Alt to Fashunu is big enough for a team to want to get the best, if that's their goal. 

All early thoughts tho. lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I think Alt is by far the best OT in the draft.  I think the Chargers will take him. They have invested first round picks in Johnston and Willams at WR. Allen said he wants to come back. And Harbaugh doesn't come off as someone that will want to spend another first round pick on a WR. 

Alt can play RT.

or

I can see the Jets leapfrog us to get the best OT.  I'm not sure the drop-off from Fashanu to the next guy is that big. But the drop-off from Alt to Fashunu is big enough for a team to want to get the best, if that's their goal. 

The thing that intrigues me about Fashanu too is having Bill Callahan. I watched a few breakdowns about Fashanu and he seemed to have the highest ceiling out of the tackles in this draft. He feels like a guy that was built in a lab to play the position. His hand issues I feel are fixable with Callahan. He seems to have the traits to overcome his weaknesses. Definitely needs to clean things up, but now knowing we have an absolute guy who can guide him maybe Olu could be an option?

21 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Alt can play RT.

or

Here's the thing though: although this is correct, and I think both Mims and Fuaga are pretty close, talent-wise, to Fashanu, they're going to have to make the switch to the left side, since they played right tackle in college.  Mims I think is built to play left tackle, but he's also a Georgia OT with injury concerns and very little tape.  Not a good combination.

Fuaga is a right tackle, born and bred.  An elite right tackle, but a right tackle nonetheless.  Same for Latham.

Morgan and Guyton I haven't reviewed extensively yet.  Paul and Suimataia are right tackles (and both suck).  Christian Jones and Blake Fisher are the only two others I think are worth second day consideration, and they're also both right tackles.

The class is short on ready to go left tackles.

And even with guys like Guyton and Morgan, we're gambling on them being on the board at all with our second pick.  We don't have the assets to trade up for them.

8 minutes ago, twotonebluenation said:

The thing that intrigues me about Fashanu too is having Bill Callahan. I watched a few breakdowns about Fashanu and he seemed to have the highest ceiling out of the tackles in this draft. He feels like a guy that was built in a lab to play the position. His hand issues I feel are fixable with Callahan. He seems to have the traits to overcome his weaknesses. Definitely needs to clean things up, but now knowing we have an absolute guy who can guide him maybe Olu could be an option?

And also this, 1000%.  Fashanu is athletic, and has a great base to work with.  He needs to be coached up on hand usage and establishing his base a little better, but having a great OL coach makes taking a mild project a much, much more appealing option.

Fashanu has stuff to work on, but he's far from raw.  He's ready to play at an acceptable level right now, but he's got a lot of room for growth, and we're going to have an OL coach with a pretty good history of fostering that growth.

Fashanu is also young.  He won't turn 22 until December, so he probably has some strength to develop as well.

I could see trading down if Alt is gone.  That would at least give us the additional assets we need to trade back up for one of the few remaining left tackles if things go south.  But I cannot see straight up taking Odunze seventh overall with Fashanu sitting there.

• Like 2

Listening to Mary Kay Cabot on radio, she has all the goods on the Browns for years now. 

Callahan isn't an easy OL coach. He is going to work them. So the interviews and make up of the players will really determine a lot.  She talked about Dawand Jones and how he was very frustrated in camp, but of course worked out. 
Sidenote, Conklin might be a cap causality. She thinks Jones will be the RT. 

The draft is short on ready to go LT's. 
Which makes me think we either try to find a patchwork one in FA or have to take one of the top 2 even if we don't value them the same as a playmaker. 

An elite RT is not a bad consolation prize. 
I have nothing against the top 2 OTs. I just really want to recoup an 3rd round pick bad. I think we could still get a great starter in the 3rd. 
I want to trade down a few spots, still land one of the great RT's, then come back in the 2nd and maybe 3rd to get playmakers. 

As of now, I would gamble and take Odunze straight up at 7 and hope to get one of the later OT's in the 2nd. 

The drop-off from Odunze to the next WR isn't as vast at the drop off from Alt to Fashanu, but I think the lack of playmakers might be the factor for Callahan and his offense. 

I'm also trying to factor in the Bill Callahan effect. Which one of our current OL will take a jump with his teachings. Can't cut them all.  I'm hopeful that Radunz or NPF sees a bump with a stable position and OL coach that's worth a flip. 

FA- Skron-FA-Brunksill-Rookie would be my stragergy.
Rookie-Skron-FA-Brunskill-Radunz/NPF is what I think will happen.