2023-24 College Football Prospect Watch

KingTitan

Just now, -Hope- said:

man, if the first two rounds look like that i don't much care what comes next lol. i fear mitchell will be a riser in the pre-draft process. with how fluid he is on the field for his size i suspect he'll test well

I think a lot of the guys on this list will go higher than they're currently projected, haha.  No way Theo Johnson is on the board round 7.

But I think you're right about Mitchell.  He looked like the superior Texas receiver all season, and he's probably going round 1.  I don't know who will fall for him to rise though, and I like a lot of the guys.  Even Xavier Worthy I wouldn't mind in the second.  Those drops got a lot better towards the season's end.  Coleman too, if he slips.  Brian Thomas and Xavier Legette I like a lot too.  Someone good will be there at 38.

20 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I think a lot of the guys on this list will go higher than they're currently projected, haha.  No way Theo Johnson is on the board round 7.

But I think you're right about Mitchell.  He looked like the superior Texas receiver all season, and he's probably going round 1.  I don't know who will fall for him to rise though, and I like a lot of the guys.  Even Xavier Worthy I wouldn't mind in the second.  Those drops got a lot better towards the season's end.  Coleman too, if he slips.  Brian Thomas and Xavier Legette I like a lot too.  Someone good will be there at 38.

yeah, i've seen brian thomas being mocked as high as the top half of the first round even, which seems plenty believable if he runs and tests well. i suppose i just have to hope that not that many teams need a WR lol

I'm curious how the possible infusion of a reputable line coach changes the draft strategy. 

I've been of the mindset the the oline has been poorly coached. I think Keith Carter was a Vrabel crony that maybe should have never been the coach. I wouldn't be surprised if when his hand was forced on Carter last, he picked Houghtaling as an f you to the admin. It's asine to conclude that a coach needs to be fired because he's not getting the job done, but the guy to replace him is the assistant line coach whose going into only his second year even coaching pros? 

Dennis Daley led the league in sacks, Andre Dillard led the league in sacks, Jaylen Duncan was on pace to eclipse Dillard if he got enough snaps. I don;t believe we just happened to acquire the 3 worst LTs in football over the past 2 years. To me the problem is systematic. Yea those dudes are mediocre talents, but I think a better coach would have been able to stop them from being an every down turnstile on the edge. 

• Like 3

Listening to Coach Callahan on the radio talking about how they built the culture in Cincy. He mentioned how the Bengals focused on drafting guys from BIG schools that were captains that played in BIG games to turn around their program. Also said they focused on FAs from playoff team

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chocolateman78 said:

I'm curious how the possible infusion of a reputable line coach changes the draft strategy. 

I've been of the mindset the the oline has been poorly coached. I think Keith Carter was a Vrabel crony that maybe should have never been the coach. I wouldn't be surprised if when his hand was forced on Carter last, he picked Houghtaling as an f you to the admin. It's asine to conclude that a coach needs to be fired because he's not getting the job done, but the guy to replace him is the assistant line coach whose going into only his second year even coaching pros? 

Dennis Daley led the league in sacks, Andre Dillard led the league in sacks, Jaylen Duncan was on pace to eclipse Dillard if he got enough snaps. I don;t believe we just happened to acquire the 3 worst LTs in football over the past 2 years. To me the problem is systematic. Yea those dudes are mediocre talents, but I think a better coach would have been able to stop them from being an every down turnstile on the edge. 

My excitement behind the possibility of line coach with some real history of success goes beyond the coaching, but moreso the identifying.  

I just think back to Munch saying he could work with Roos and he will be just as good or greater than the 1st round OTs in that draft. Then going back and getting David Stewart in the 4th. Having those bookend OT's for decade or so was huge. 

My hope is that Callahan and Ran are able to get coaches that of course know how to develop, but a big part that we've been missing, they know how to identify. 

7 hours ago, Chocolateman78 said:

I mean, I think that this is probably true for a lot of positions other than just OL.  We've also gotten suspiciously poor play from WRs and CBs.  The team has done a pretty obviously bad job at developing talent.

But I don't think it changes the draft strategy at all.  Needs are still needs, and the new coaching staff is going to get almost no time with current players before the draft.  You can't just hedge your bets that one of the tackles we have will suddenly be a capable starter, or that Treylon Burks will suddenly have a 1000 yard season, or that Caleb Farley will suddenly get healthy and be a good corner.

You draft for the needs you have (which is almost every position, lol), and if some underwhelming players turn better, then great, we have better depth or tradable assets.

You still go into the draft with OT, WR, and CB being the biggest needs, at least until free agency.

The Callahan/Stillman interview about the WR/OT convo is obviously super interesting. I do lean toward WR if all things are even in terms of evaluation. Either way, it's a pick we cannot afford to miss right now.

Anxious to see this staff fill out and who we hire for OL coach.

28 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

The Callahan/Stillman interview about the WR/OT convo is obviously super interesting. I do lean toward WR if all things are even in terms of evaluation. Either way, it's a pick we cannot afford to miss right now.

Anxious to see this staff fill out and who we hire for OL coach.

The next few months is going to be so interesting.

For example, let’s say we do get Bill Callahan and sign say, Jonah Williams. Would they view Williams as a LT and Callahan feel he could coach NPF/Duncan to competent starting RT level. Then that leaves the door obviously open to take a WR at 7. Or maybe they sign Williams, view him as the starting RT, making Alt/Fashanu the obvious pick at 7 to be our LT.

I still don’t know where I fall in the WR vs OT debate at this point. Should be fun discussion the next few months though.

i like both of the michigan WRs, roman wilson and cornelius johnson, as day 3 guys to fill out the back half of the WR room with solid depth. different prospects, but they've both got some fun traits to work with and would likely be going higher had they not played in such a run-heavy offense.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

i like both of the michigan WRs, roman wilson and cornelius johnson, as day 3 guys to fill out the back half of the WR room with solid depth. different prospects, but they've both got some fun traits to work with and would likely be going higher had they not played in such a run-heavy offense.

I’ve heard Wilson runs in the 4.3s as well.. I don’t really see it on tape but he’s definitely intriguing in later rounds.

Im also starting to like Malik Washington and Malachi Corley. 

• Like 1

On 1/27/2024 at 3:26 PM, 615finest said:

I’ve heard Wilson runs in the 4.3s as well.. I don’t really see it on tape but he’s definitely intriguing in later rounds.

Im also starting to like Malik Washington and Malachi Corley. 

I know people don't want to hear it but Washington and Corley might be just faster versions of Burks. 

I am starting to believe the Giants take the best OL. 

I'm not really in love with the guy from Penn State. 

I'd like to trade down a few spots. Get the OT from Oregon State. Get a a LT in FA that can be a serviceable stop gap. Trusting in the front office to find that guy. 

Looked at Becton, he still has some upside. Maybe try to rectify Williams. Sign Donovan Smith. Try for Trenton Brown. 

Trade down. Get AD Mitchell, who I think compares to Tee Higgins and Devontez Walker. 

Double down on WR in the 2nd and 3rd. 

Just one approach I'm feeling. 

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

I am starting to believe the Giants take the best OL. 

I'm not really in love with the guy from Penn State. 

I'd like to trade down a few spots. Get the OT from Oregon State. Get a a LT in FA that can be a serviceable stop gap. Trusting in the front office to find that guy. 

Looked at Becton, he still has some upside. Maybe try to rectify Williams. Sign Donovan Smith. Try for Trenton Brown. 

Trade down. Get AD Mitchell, who I think compares to Tee Higgins and Devontez Walker. 

Double down on WR in the 2nd and 3rd. 

Just one approach I'm feeling. 

I’ll forever say Becton biggest issue is he’s lazy, he has all the tools I thought he was the 2nd coming of Trent Williams for that I’m not interested, he has yet to fix being lazy 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KingTitan said:

I know people don't want to hear it but Washington and Corley might be just faster versions of Burks. 

I’d be ok with that since we actually have a coach that plays to player strengths lol.

i also been starting to see that the chargers really like Bowers so maybe Nabers will fall to us(a guy can dream) 

• Like 1