2023-24 College Football Prospect Watch

KingTitan

1 hour ago, TitanRedd said:

Okay so Corey Davis was a good pick at 5 that we let walk in FA. 1 thing we agree on we have to hit on our 1st rd picks but I don’t believe in drafting a player because of need over value. I feel if we stay at 7 they’re other players better than Alt. I really hope we trade down for me. There’s too much talent in key positions of need in this draft, we need more draft capital. 

Did Corey Davis play for 10 years for us? He didn't even make it 10 years total in the league. You can look at any draft and hindsight pick "value" players. I would bet if you asked any GM, they would tell you that a 10 year starter in the first round is a good pick and a good value.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andrei01 said:

Again, Cosell kind of explains this, that he plays with good technique, leverage, and pretty much takes the best angles to take out defenders in the run game. Hence, he wins by being a "finesse" player and not necessarily with power or strength.

Which, though Cosell did sound much more negative than I would've ever expected him to on Alt in general, is not an attack on him as a prospect but rather an acknowledgement of his style of play.

Otherwise, yes, I do believe Alt is a pretty good and effective run blocker and will be so at the next level.

The way Ramon Foster explained it.  
Seems like GM's or talent evaluators who like the "mean and nasty" guy over the technical guys are more down on Alt.  

I don't see Alt's technical positives as a bad thing. I'd think that would be more sustainable.  Someone that is always in the right position, etc. 

16 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Seems like GM's or talent evaluators who like the "mean and nasty" guy over the technical guys are more down on Alt.  

I don't see Alt's technical positives as a bad thing. I'd think that would be more sustainable.  Someone that is always in the right position, etc. 

I don't, necessarily, either. Just tried to explain what he was trying to articulate, not saying I necessarily agree with his POV.

Just listened to Foster, now. Very interesting listening to him talk about Mims, especially viewing him as the only RT prospect that could translate over to left side. He also praised him as basically the highest-ceiling T prospect, while Alt as the highest-floor prospect, and that's how I see them as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TitanRedd said:

Stay away from Koop Aid Mckinstry I wouldn’t touch him unless im running a cover 2 system, he’s all hype. You want a quality cover corner that can mix it up, check out Caelen Carson from wake forest. Plays the run well, aggressive in man coverage & is good in press bump & run, fluid hips. Not as instinctive playing zone coverage & playing off. But I think he’s going to be a mid round steal

To be fair, Kool-Aid is basically nothing if not a press corner, not sure where the cover-2 is coming from.

1 minute ago, Andrei01 said:

To be fair, Kool-Aid is basically nothing if not a press corner, not sure where the cover-2 is coming from.

Okay, allow me to break it down, you typically want a press CB playing in a cover 2 defense. For ex, Rhonda Barber, Nick Harper, Cortland Finnegan, Carlton Davis, Meaning guys who strengths are being aggressive & pressing, but not great at man playing on a island, you put them in cover 2 with safety help over the top. Kool aid is a CB you want him pressing playing Man Underneath with bracket coverage over the top or siting on routes playing off coverage. 

40 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I like him don’t get me wrong, I just don’t want him at 7, I feel if we stay at 7 we need a game changer at WR, & go OT in 2nd if not trade down acquire more picks. Now if I saw Joe Thomas, Trent Williams, Tyron smith, or Larry Tunsil type play on film im all for taking him at 7, those guys had a ceiling, upside. 

11 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

Okay, allow me to break it down, you typically want a press CB playing in a cover 2 defense. For ex, Rhonda Barber, Nick Harper, Cortland Finnegan, Carlton Davis, Meaning guys who strengths are being aggressive & pressing, but not great at man playing on a island, you put them in cover 2 with safety help over the top. Kool aid is a CB you want him pressing playing Man Underneath with bracket coverage over the top or siting on routes playing off coverage. 

But he is pretty solid at playing man coverage, that's the thing, still not sure what that is all about.

1 hour ago, Andrei01 said:

But he is pretty solid at playing man coverage, that's the thing, still not sure what that is all about.

He’s good at playing underneath man coverage. He’s not a corner you leave 1 on 1 on a island. I’ve seen him get stacked plenty of times.

Odunze starting to be put in multiple draft analysts top 5 overall players…. He’s also the only top 3 receiver in this draft that has the balls to workout at the combine. Dudes a stud and should be a top 10 pick and 7 is definitely not too rich for me. Been saying it for a while now.

Edited by ttitansfan4life
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Odunze starting to be put in multiple draft analysts top 5 overall players…. He’s also the only top 3 receiver in this draft that has the balls to workout at the combine. Dudes a stud and should be a top 10 pick and 7 is definitely not too rich for me. Been saying it for a while now.

Yea I’d definitely be ok wit taking Odunze at 7. The more I watch him the more I like him

Been working on the center class lately, and I'm not gonna bore yall with IOL tape, but here's my thoughts:

Jackson Powers-Johnson is a tad overrated.  Yeah, he ragdolls lesser DLs and LBs on the reg because he's stupid strong, but he's also honestly pretty sloppy.  He often only gets like half a block in with one hand on the guy he's supposed to be blocking.  It was particularly bad against Washington, but it showed up on Utah too.  He's just got a ton of power to his game, so he still is pretty effective at getting guys off their mark even with one hand.  But he's got a lot of technique to polish.  I'd take him in the second.

Sedrick Van Prann isn't all that different than JPJ.  They're both powerful Cs who need cleaning up.  SVP is more likely to get both hands on a guy, and he doesn't play it as loose as JPJ, but he doesn't really move that well in space, and you never see him block anyone but the guy right in front of him.  Still, long term starter, with good tape, just needs work.  I think he's a late second rounder.

Zach Frazier, I think, is very close to these guys in terms of quality.  He's not graceful in space, and he's a terrible pull blocker, but in space and at the second level, he has a real nose for where to move to cut off defenders.  It's choppy, but he moves extremely efficiently.  He doesn't have the power that the top two do, but he maximizes his length when facing a power DL.  Plenty enough strength to play at the next level.  Also a late second rounder.

Dominic Puni I'm putting with Centers because he took snaps there at the Senior Bowl and there are fewer.  I think he's the most graceful mover of the bunch, and he can actually pull since he played tackle.  He's got a ton of positional versatility as well, but I don't think he's a tackle.  Good at containing guys with his hands via quick punches.  Might be up with the top 3, but it's harder to project him.  I think he's maybe an early to middle third rounder now.

Beau Limmer is just a guy.  He's good at moving around and establishing blocks at the next level, but probably only looks that way because it's an area most of the top guys struggle in.  He has a lot of trouble at the point of attack, particularly in the Bama game.  Still, he holds up.  Day 3 guy.

Sincere Haynesworth from Tulane I have in the back of my mind.  I think he's not got the strength to play at the next level (he may be a little small), but he's a polished blocker with four years of experience and quality tape.  No combine invite, but if he has a good pro day, he's worth looking at as a quality depth guy with some potential.  In the late rounds, he'd be a good fit.

• Like 1