2024 Draft

Ftn49

Listened to the draft podcast on the athletic yesterday and a couple of tidbits that were interesting to me...

Tyler Guyton will be at the senior bowl

Compared Amarius Mims to Tyron Smith

Former Niner Jeff Ulbrich will be coaching at least one of the squads? They must have changed this up a year or two ago somehow and I am not clear on the details.

4 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

Former Niner Jeff Ulbrich will be coaching at least one of the squads? They must have changed this up a year or two ago somehow and I am not clear on the details.

Yes, they started allowing non head coaches to run the squads as a way to help groom them for head coaching opportunities or something or other. 

40 minutes ago, Forge said:

that's funny to watch

Ummmmmm that's Christian Mahogany he's doing that to. One of the highest rated pure guard prospects by consensus 

Edited by JIllg
  • Like 1

So Malik Washington is dominating the Shrine Bowl, which doesn't surprise me any, but is annoying because teams will catch on. I think he's just Steve Smith. Check him out before the hype builds further.

13 hours ago, Forge said:

that's funny to watch

UNI has produced some damn good football players for such a small school. My hometown won a lot of championships in their dome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

My fantasy 1st round would be to trade up for Fuaga, my 2024 draft crush. 🤩

Fuaga is one of my favorite players I've scouted, though I doubt it happens. Ditto Laiatu Latu

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JIllg said:

Really getting the feeling that an edge is gonna be the first pick. Looks like the value and definitely the need are going to line up there.

Edge or Interior. We haven't had a traditional nose since Earl Mitchell, so I'm kind of digging the idea of Sweat given out struggles against runs right up the gut. Pushed around too easily. Rest AA and that foot more, given Hargrave at over 30 years old more rest. 

But edge makes a ton of sense too. 

The nice thing is that I believe that you can take a guard in the second round and still get an upgrade on the line. I think it'll be harder to upgrade the tackle spot over McKivitz, but if you get a Zinter and he's an upgrade over Burford / Feliciano from jump, that could help make McKivitz better as well. 

20 minutes ago, Forge said:

Edge or Interior. We haven't had a traditional nose since Earl Mitchell, so I'm kind of digging the idea of Sweat given out struggles against runs right up the gut. Pushed around too easily. Rest AA and that foot more, given Hargrave at over 30 years old more rest. 

The nice thing is that I believe that you can take a guard in the second round and still get an upgrade on the line. I think it'll be harder to upgrade the tackle spot over McKivitz, but if you get a Zinter and he's an upgrade over Burford / Feliciano from jump, that could help make McKivitz better as well. 

Yeah, my drafts currently are whatever guys I think are top ten caliber guys that randomness causes to fail (usually Fuaga, Latu, or Verse) followed by guys that I feel can be solid starters on the line year one (Byron Murphy, Latham, Bralen Trice, Leonard Taylor). I definitely think Sweat is the caliber of player for that eval. Kris Jenkins is also intriguing as mostly a run defender inside. I just don’t like the guards that played tackle in college as much as most (Fautanu and Barton) and Mims makes me uncomfortable with the first round risk.

Edited by JIllg

23 minutes ago, Forge said:

As for the later round IOL dudes, I love Jackson Powers-Johnson if he makes it to the second. Mahogany has dominated at the Shrine Bowl (minus the hilarious meme play) to confirm his really good run blocking reps and solid pass pro for the season, Cooper Beebe has been an absolute stud as both a run and pass blocker for years at Kansas State. I like the depth.