2024 Draft

Ftn49

1 - 31: Leonard Taylor, DI

2- 63: Kingsley Suamatai, OT

3-94: Zak Zinter, OG (pff gave me a C- for this which I find crazy)

Traded 98 + 252 for 119, 120, 198

4-119: Mohamed Kamara, Edge

4-120: Kamal Hadden, CB (admittedly a gamble)

4-131: got absolutely sniped for Jordan Travis. Was sad. Took Beau Brade, S

5-177: Frank Gore Jr. It wasn't planned lol. Almost took Lloyd or Davis after losing Travis. Passed on them and Frank was one of the guys at the top of pff's big board here

6-198: Brandon Coleman, OT.  Just a bpa situation

6-209: Isaiah Williams, WR

6-213: Josh proctor, S

6-215: Taulia Tagovailoa, QB. Honestly didn't even want to make this pick by this point

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

1 - 31: Leonard Taylor, DI

2- 63: Kingsley Suamatai, OT

3-94: Zak Zinter, OG (pff gave me a C- for this which I find crazy)

Traded 98 + 252 for 119, 120, 198

4-119: Mohamed Kamara, Edge

4-120: Kamal Hadden, CB (admittedly a gamble)

4-131: got absolutely sniped for Jordan Travis. Was sad. Took Beau Brade, S

5-177: Frank Gore Jr. It wasn't planned lol. Almost took Lloyd or Davis after losing Travis. Passed on them and Frank was one of the guys at the top of pff's big board here

6-198: Brandon Coleman, OT.  Just a bpa situation

6-209: Isaiah Williams, WR

6-213: Josh proctor, S

6-215: Taulia Tagovailoa, QB. Honestly didn't even want to make this pick by this point

Those first three pick:
italian-si.gif

Also really like Frankie G Jr and Proctor picks. I don't know much of the other players except Tualia and Kamara (mostly just saw the one game where they played CU)

• Like 2

Six comp picks is the projection for us with minority hire plus the players we lost in free agency. We also have our first and second round picks this year.

We will remember the 2024 draft one way or another as the reason this run continued or it being a big reason for why the team fell apart ala the late drafts we had during the Harbaugh era. 

A lot of draft capital and the draft is supposedly strong at some of our biggest position of needs. 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Six comp picks is the projection for us with minority hire plus the players we lost in free agency. We also have our first and second round picks this year.

We will remember the 2024 draft one way or another as the reason this run continued or it being a big reason for why the team fell apart ala the late drafts we had during the Harbaugh era. 

A lot of draft capital and the draft is supposedly strong at some of our biggest position of needs. 

Gotta get younger in the trenches with guys that can start/rotate and not suck right away and develop into quality players the team can rely on later on. Guard, Tackle, Center, Edge, Defensive Interior. Don't care what order, just need 3 or 4 that fit the bill.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

We don't get both Ryans / carthon this year. One will come next year. 

We've also already traded the Ryans / carthon pick in the chase young trade

1 hour ago, Forge said:

We don't get both Ryans / carthon this year. One will come next year. 

We've also already traded the Ryans / carthon pick in the chase young trade

Got it, that makes more sense. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I just go to @JIllg

So, I've gotten my process to be very 49ers-specific. I have a spreadsheet every year with the predicted next year's roster - I look at the roster spots that are likely to open up and which high leverage roles definitely need filling - this coaching staff has a history of drafting guys not entirely for value but for meeting their perceived specs of spots and roles. I then do a series of mock drafts on the pff simulator with relatively high randomness - especially after the first round things are always more random than perceived. This added randomness really helps you to get a feel for value ranges and where it can be right to take a guy half a round or even a full round ahead of perceived consensus just to avoid randomness sniping. You obviously don't want to do more than that because of the opportunity cost of taking guys early that aren't actually wanted yet - you could draft someone first that you couldn't actually get later.

I then use the pff data as a first filter on which guys I watch. Like, if you have a low run blocking grade as an offensive lineman for this staff, I might check you out in the third go around but there's a snowball's chance in hell for you to be drafted by this current 49ers setup given their priorities. pff's data even has zone blocking grades for offensive linemen - guys with grades in zone blocking above 80 get first priority for me to watch. Even though I don't always agree with pff, it allows me to cut down on data points that are unlikely to be 49ers relevant. With wide receivers, if they don't break a high number of tackles per reception, what's the point? They ain't being drafted by the 9ers. That high broken tackles per reception metric made me adore Sam LaPorta, for instance. Malachi Corley and Malik Washington and such are therefore way more likely than other guys at their draft position. Same with gigantic defensive tackles in the 350 pound range - the Niners don't want them as their decision makers clearly value other things.

Then, I try to watch players with an eye to them performing techniques that I see us use every week. Can you reach block, pick out a guy on the second level, penetrate quickly in your gap, have instinctual zone awareness, break tackles? These are 49er preferred characteristics. Then, when the visits come out, I tend to focus in further on the guys the 49ers have brought in for a visit and understand which ones I think will be useful and which I really hope we avoid because I think that the 49ers staff made a mistake in pick valuation (say, Moody) or just generally lost their minds for reasons I don't understand (Latu) or if I think that they are actually dead right and have their eyes set on a guy that I agree has more value than consensus (Ji'Ayir Brown). At that point, when it comes to the draft, I am rarely surprised any more. Early on, it might have been hard to get this staff's preferences, but I think they've established what they want pretty clearly now.

So, long story short, I'm not attempting to be an independent arbiter of default value. I watch with an eye for the 9ers and to make myself feel knowledgeable about our staff's decision making process.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, JIllg said:

So, I've gotten my process to be very 49ers-specific. I have a spreadsheet every year with the predicted next year's roster - I look at the roster spots that are likely to open up and which high leverage roles definitely need filling - this coaching staff has a history of drafting guys not entirely for value but for meeting their perceived specs of spots and roles. I then do a series of mock drafts on the pff simulator with relatively high randomness - especially after the first round things are always more random than perceived. This added randomness really helps you to get a feel for value ranges and where it can be right to take a guy half a round or even a full round ahead of perceived consensus just to avoid randomness sniping. You obviously don't want to do more than that because of the opportunity cost of taking guys early that aren't actually wanted yet - you could draft someone first that you couldn't actually get later.

I then use the pff data as a first filter on which guys I watch. Like, if you have a low run blocking grade as an offensive lineman for this staff, I might check you out in the third go around but there's a snowball's chance in hell for you to be drafted by this current 49ers setup given their priorities. pff's data even has zone blocking grades for offensive linemen - guys with grades in zone blocking above 80 get first priority for me to watch. Even though I don't always agree with pff, it allows me to cut down on data points that are unlikely to be 49ers relevant. With wide receivers, if they don't break a high number of tackles per reception, what's the point? They ain't being drafted by the 9ers. That high broken tackles per reception metric made me adore Sam LaPorta, for instance. Malachi Corley and Malik Washington and such are therefore way more likely than other guys at their draft position. Same with gigantic defensive tackles in the 350 pound range - the Niners don't want them as their decision makers clearly value other things.

Then, I try to watch players with an eye to them performing techniques that I see us use every week. Can you reach block, pick out a guy on the second level, penetrate quickly in your gap, have instinctual zone awareness, break tackles? These are 49er preferred characteristics. Then, when the visits come out, I tend to focus in further on the guys the 49ers have brought in for a visit and understand which ones I think will be useful and which I really hope we avoid because I think that the 49ers staff made a mistake in pick valuation (say, Moody) or just generally lost their minds for reasons I don't understand (Latu) or if I think that they are actually dead right and have their eyes set on a guy that I agree has more value than consensus (Ji'Ayir Brown). At that point, when it comes to the draft, I am rarely surprised any more. Early on, it might have been hard to get this staff's preferences, but I think they've established what they want pretty clearly now.

So, long story short, I'm not attempting to be an independent arbiter of default value. I watch with an eye for the 9ers and to make myself feel knowledgeable about our staff's decision making process.

This is way more involved than my process. I typically just use a paper fortune teller to tell me if I should like a guy or not

Paper-fortune-teller GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

I'm torn between whether I would draft Jordan Morgan in round 1, knowing that he may have to kick in to guard and thus not solving our OT issue, or drafting defensive line in round 1 and maybe making a move up from our second round pick to draft a surefire tackle like Amegadjie or Suamatai  who may take a year to cook before playing. 

I really like Morgan more than guys like Guyton and Paul 

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm torn between whether I would draft Jordan Morgan in round 1, knowing that he may have to kick in to guard and thus not solving our OT issue, or drafting defensive line in round 1 and maybe making a move up from our second round pick to draft a surefire tackle like Amegadjie or Suamatai  who may take a year to cook before playing. 

I really like Morgan more than guys like Guyton and Paul 

I like Morgan too. I don't think that he's gonna be special, but I think he'll just be a solid starter for a long time. And he'll be fine to start right away, at least at guard. I don't trust Guyton whatsoever. He's got the athletic profile, but was even more raw than Mims for me even though he's had a lot more snaps to learn. Paul I basically through out as an option on this team because of the run blocking. 

• Like 1

• Forge locked and unlocked this topic