2024 Draft

Ftn49

17 hours ago, Ftn49 said:

Excited about the switch to the greatest conference next season? If you haven't already subscribed to Matt Mitchell and SEC shorts make sure you do

Actually, yes. However, I am certain it will be more competitive than the lame 12, so my expectations of my Sooners initial season are not all that high...

I think the lame 12 has actually let in a wolf among the sheep...Utah could dominate for awhile. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Dumb....Always dumb when these backs return for their senior season. The stock will not improve and you are just adding extra punishment after dealing with some injuries this year in the first place. 

In fairness, he makes more than kyren Williams right now lol

• Like 2

On 12/7/2023 at 3:14 PM, J-ALL-DAY said:

Dumb....Always dumb when these backs return for their senior season. The stock will not improve and you are just adding extra punishment after dealing with some injuries this year in the first place. 

Financially, if you're not a 1st round lock, you should probably go back to school and collect your pay that's going to be significantly more than your rookie contract. 

I don't really know how I feel about the NIL yet, but one thing I do like is that there will be less underclassmen in the draft. Too many are declaring and torching their playing careers because of it. 

It's worth noting that the offensive line has been a lot better recently. If it keeps up, wouldn't at all be shocked if we stick with defensive line in the first and then maybe take a G/C type in the second and a project tackle in the third / fourth and just roll with mckivitz another year

1 hour ago, Forge said:

It's worth noting that the offensive line has been a lot better recently. If it keeps up, wouldn't at all be shocked if we stick with defensive line in the first and then maybe take a G/C type in the second and a project tackle in the third / fourth and just roll with mckivitz another year

I feel like that was most likely all along - mostly because it's easier for the first round d lineman to learn on the job as a part of a rotation. Plus, they value the non LT OL positions below defensive linemen. I figure we'll get a Chase Young and/or Clelin Ferrell replacement first and wouldn't be surprised if there's a Kinlaw/Givens replacement as one of the next two picks. If they don't hat Oliver as a backup S, they might not take a defensive back until late.

Just now, JIllg said:

I feel like that was most likely all along - mostly because it's easier for the first round d lineman to learn on the job as a part of a rotation. Plus, they value the non LT OL positions below defensive linemen. I figure we'll get a Chase Young and/or Clelin Ferrell replacement first and wouldn't be surprised if there's a Kinlaw/Givens replacement as one of the next two picks. If they don't hat Oliver as a backup S, they might not take a defensive back until late.

If we don't re-sign Young, I obviously think Edge will be high on the list here if available....but I'm really starting to circle back around on the interior defensive line. I had mentioned it as a possibility earlier in the year and now here we are in week 15 - 16 and playing huge games and both of our (aging) DTs are hurt. Guys don't typically get healthier as they age, and frankly, even with the improvement from Kinlaw, he's not a guy that can anchor a defensive front (and he's a pending ufa, obviously). I don't think this is a particularly strong DT class at the top, can't imagine us having a realistic shot at someone like Newton, so it may be a bit interesting.

• Like 1

You guys may be right but I feel like they would be trying to force something if they did and it would be wrong. Hargrave is expected to be here I would assume at least 3 more years and cap said he expects AA to be extended so you are talking about at best a 2nd stringer when you do draft an interior guy at least for the forseable future. Pair that with a combination of you can absolutely tell a difference when we run to the right vs run to the left and I still see OT as our #1 need, who knows how long Trent is going to stick around and this is an ELITE tackle class and I don't see how it is anything but an OT. Plus these guys drafted McGlinchey in the top 10 so I wouldn't say they don't value the RT either.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ftn49 said:

You guys may be right but I feel like they would be trying to force something if they did and it would be wrong. Hargrave is expected to be here I would assume at least 3 more years and cap said he expects AA to be extended so you are talking about at best a 2nd stringer when you do draft an interior guy at least for the forseable future. Pair that with a combination of you can absolutely tell a difference when we run to the right vs run to the left and I still see OT as our #1 need, who knows how long Trent is going to stick around and this is an ELITE tackle class and I don't see how it is anything but an OT. Plus these guys drafted McGlinchey in the top 10 so I wouldn't say they don't value the RT either.

I agree solely on the talent that is coming out this yr and Trent’s decision to possibly retire. There were rumblings last offseason and I think this is the year to get a rookie to either learn under Williams or possibly play at RT for the time being. 

I do however think that our second/third round pick will be a big body DT depending on talent as it falls. 

On 12/19/2023 at 5:13 AM, Ftn49 said:

It's really about whether or not they view McKivitz as a large problem that needs to be solved immediately. I think they can definitely make the case that Brendel / RG is a much bigger issue in the immediate future. Brendel has been a nightmare this year. 

As @JIllg mentioned, the rotation on the defensive line is important. Second string DT is still likely to play half the snaps. That's not a small role, so I don't think that taking a DT as a second string guy is really something that would preclude them from targeting that. With Kinlaw a UFA and seeing the age on armstead and hargrave show, they are going to have to consider it. Armstead in particular has to have some real concerns moving forward. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forge locked and unlocked this topic