2024 Draft

Ftn49

22 hours ago, Forge said:

So right now, I'm thinking we pick between 23-28. 

I definitely think edge will be the tops on our list unless we somehow manage to re-sign Chase. Barrows thinks it'll be EDGE or OT. I Think that's a bit of a rough spot for a tackle if you want an immediate starter, though there's a chance that all of the main EDGE guys that I'd be looking at in the first round will be gone. 

EDGE: 

Primaries I am thinking here are Jared Verse and Chop Robinson. 

Jared Verse probably should have come out last year. I think he's probably going to be like EDGE 3 this year and may go off the board in the late teens / early 20's. I don't think he'll test off the charts. If we are sitting at 23 for the draft and need to move up a little to go get him, I think I'm fine with that. 

Chop Robinson is so raw as a pass rusher that I'm afraid he's just going to wash out, but he's got a lot of the juice that this defensive front probably needs. I'm also nervous that he's had some games missed due to injury because I have some concerns just about how his body will hold up. I've been underwhelmed this year. 

Dallas Turner I think will go in the teens / early 20's as well. Latu I'm guessing will be the first edge off the board when all is said and done, but i know that some people don't love him or have him rated that highly because he's not the most twitchy edge guy. 

If we go Tackle we are more or less looking at Amarius Mims, who I don't think will be able to come in and play right away. I really dislike that he's already fighting through nagging injuries though, especially at 6'7 or 6'8. Given that he's raw and missing time, I really worry about a very low floor and high bust potential. 

Jordan Morgan could be a good pull here. He's got a lot of experience and he's very good. The one fear which may be a little overblown is that I don't think he's ever played anywhere but LT. 

The biggest concern with Tackle is that I think that there will likely be 4-5 off the board before we pick. The position thins out so quickly. I really don't want to take someone like Patrick Paul in the first round. 

Dane Brugler has 8 tackles in his top 30 prospects of the draft so this looks to be an elite class, I'm hoping for Mims or Fuaga atm, I'm just not familiar at all with Guyton though descriptive wise he'd be interesting to me too.

1. Olu Fashanu Penn St

2.Joe Alt Notre Dame

3.JC Latham Alabama

4.Amarius Mims Georgia

5. Tyler Guyton Oklahoma

6. Taliese Fuaga Oregon St

7. Jordan Morgan Arizona

8. Patrick Paul Houston

From my understanding this edge class is pretty underwhelming, tackle better be the pick imo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ftn49 said:

Dane Brugler has 8 tackles in his top 30 prospects of the draft so this looks to be an elite class, I'm hoping for Mims or Fuaga atm, I'm just not familiar at all with Guyton though descriptive wise he'd be interesting to me too.

1. Olu Fashanu Penn St

2.Joe Alt Notre Dame

3.JC Latham Alabama

4.Amarius Mims Georgia

5. Tyler Guyton Oklahoma

6. Taliese Fuaga Oregon St

7. Jordan Morgan Arizona

8. Patrick Paul Houston

From my understanding this edge class is pretty underwhelming, tackle better be the pick imo. 

For what we do, I really like Fuaga (I think he'd be basically ideal). Mims and Guyton are built of the raw skillsets we like (really good all-around run blockers with the bulk for moving guys in a gap but the juice to get out to the edge in zone) but aren't quite there in terms of pass protection. Latham is a bit too large and lumbering. Alt and Fashanu shouldn't make it to us unless we trade up. Morgan is a very lean, lightweight pass protector. Same for Paul. Those really aren't our vibe.

• Like 2

Trevor Sikkema got spicy for his mock draft 2.0 lol. 

Gave the niners JJ McCarthy. I really like JJ, as much as it pains me to admit as an OSU fan, but I'm also one of those guys who thinks he probably needs more time. 

Also, just no way in hell the 49ers are going to go QB there. But its definitely spicy. Trevor even says that if they are picking at the back end of the first, they are just going to continue rolling with Purdy, but he like McCarthy with Shanny 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

Gave the niners JJ McCarthy. I really like JJ, as much as it pains me to admit as an OSU fan, but I'm also one of those guys who thinks he probably needs more time. 

Also, just no way in hell the 49ers are going to go QB there. But its definitely spicy. Trevor even says that if they are picking at the back end of the first, they are just going to continue rolling with Purdy, but he like McCarthy with Shanny 

I was taking McCarthy a lot in drafts before the season (in the second round). The reps from under center will probably be (over)weighted highly by this staff. I’d like to see more Purdy data - I’m not sure what is most representative of who he actually is. And on a rookie contract, he’s still good value so I think I’d like to load up for one more all in year either way probably. I am sad that Rome Odunze is finally getting the external love that matches how much I liked him in this offseason’s pre-draft work. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I really like JJ. I also agree that us taking a QB is very unlikely, but he’s the guy I wouldn’t be mad about. 

I have a feeling this might be it for Big Trent, so I think OT has to be very high on our priority list. 

• Like 4

On 11/9/2023 at 5:44 PM, GW21 said:

I really like JJ. I also agree that us taking a QB is very unlikely, but he’s the guy I wouldn’t be mad about. 

I have a feeling this might be it for Big Trent, so I think OT has to be very high on our priority list. 

This all depends on who is available in the later rounds, I'd take Jordan Travis in the third in a heartbeat. I can't believe there isn't more hype surrounding Jayden Daniels after Anthony Richardson last year. Daniels is 100x the QB that Richardson was just not quite as thick. Also a homer pick and Carson Beck might not have the movement skills but his ability to diagnose and arm talent is very good too.  Way too much good QB talent coming out in this draft to spend a first round pick on a maybe guy. 

• Like 1

On 11/6/2023 at 10:11 AM, JIllg said:

For what we do, I really like Fuaga (I think he'd be basically ideal). Mims and Guyton are built of the raw skillsets we like (really good all-around run blockers with the bulk for moving guys in a gap but the juice to get out to the edge in zone) but aren't quite there in terms of pass protection. Latham is a bit too large and lumbering. Alt and Fashanu shouldn't make it to us unless we trade up. Morgan is a very lean, lightweight pass protector. Same for Paul. Those really aren't our vibe.

I think if we don't trade up and we are looking somewhere at the Morgan / Paul market, Morgan would probably be the pick. He's not a complete zero in the run game and I think he's a little more balanced than Paul. Paul seems a little soft still in the run game. Good pass protector though, I will say. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think if we don't trade up and we are looking somewhere at the Morgan / Paul market, Morgan would probably be the pick. He's not a complete zero in the run game and I think he's a little more balanced than Paul. Paul seems a little soft still in the run game. Good pass protector though, I will say. 

Morgan's grown on me after watching more tape. I don't think he's the sort of guy this staff would choose - but I would given their scheme lol

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Melbourne 9er said:

Who is the best Center in the class? Brendel gets by due to play design but we need an upgrade desperately. I haven't seen too many mocked in the first 3 rounds at the moment so where would the top Centers go?

Graham Barton is the best player that could potentially be a center at the next level. He should be a late first - second round pick. 

Sedrick van pran is probably seen as the best true center. 

I feel like beebe could play all interior positions

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Forge said:

Dane brugler mock 1.0 out today. Has us with Taliese Fuaga and everyone should love that pick if it happens

I'm at the point where I just hope he has a bit of a mediocre testing day or people go gaga for Amarius Mims for some reason - because Fuaga's such a perfect fit. It's not quite Tristan Wirfs as a perfect fit from a couple of years ago because Tristan had unreal physical gifts and because we know now that the rough technique edges were easily cleaned up. But it's close and Fuaga is more polished coming out for me. The other guy that just looked like the exact model of what we want in a tackle in the running game coming out (and let's be real, this staff is looking running game first always) was Ikem Ekwonu - but his pass protection was the most rough of the three and hasn't gotten cleaned up at the next level.

• Like 2

• Forge locked and unlocked this topic