2024 Draft

Ftn49

I’m thinking we stay away from a Darnold replacement and find a long term back up in the draft. I don’t know that I’d want to get a QB they early, but if Rattler falls to us in the third I think I’d consider it. But I’d rather get someone in the 4th or 5th with a lot of starting experience in college. 

19 hours ago, Forge said:

I'm almost positive I'm going to take a 4th round running back in my shadow draft 

I just love so many of the guys in that 3-4 range 

Ray Davis, Jalen Wright, Issac Guerendo, Audric Estime are some of the RBs I like.. No clue where they are being mocked right now though 

3 minutes ago, straighthate said:

I’m thinking we stay away from a Darnold replacement and find a long term back up in the draft. I don’t know that I’d want to get a QB they early, but if Rattler falls to us in the third I think I’d consider it. But I’d rather get someone in the 4th or 5th with a lot of starting experience in college. 

I haven't watched any of the QBs outside of the top 5 or 6 guys, but from what ive heard Michael Pratt could be that guy. Ton of experience, his big knock is arm strength.. a lot of the same things they said about Purdy

1 minute ago, adamq said:

Ray Davis, Jalen Wright, Issac Guerendo, Audric Estime are some of the RBs I like.. No clue where they are being mocked right now though 

Estime's 40 probably makes him a non starter. I'm not a guy who is all in on 40 times (I like 3 cone times more for running backs anyway), but you can't be a 4.7 guy. The only guy I can think of who was remotely successful with that kind of testing was Arian Foster, so I'll just miss on the very few outliers those kind of number produce. 

But Jaylen Wright is one of my favorite running backs in this class. Guerendo in an outside zone scheme is pretty self explanatory. 

But I love me some Will Shipley in round 4 as well. Late round guys like Tyrone Tracy and Laube has a very clear future role as a receiving back in the NFL. He tested better than I thought, but I figured he could easily have a James White role in the NFL. Tracy is older, but has limited wear and tear, so I'm not concerned about his age much.  I also like Ali in the later rounds. Couldn't test because of the injury from the senior bowl, but he's got clearly evident explosion when you watch him at Marshall. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

Estime's 40 probably makes him a non starter. I'm not a guy who is all in on 40 times (I like 3 cone times more for running backs anyway), but you can't be a 4.7 guy. The only guy I can think of who was remotely successful with that kind of testing was Arian Foster, so I'll just miss on the very few outliers those kind of number produce. 

But Jaylen Wright is one of my favorite running backs in this class. Guerendo in an outside zone scheme is pretty self explanatory. 

But I love me some Will Shipley in round 4 as well. Late round guys like Tyrone Tracy and Laube has a very clear future role as a receiving back in the NFL. He tested better than I thought, but I figured he could easily have a James White role in the NFL. Tracy is older, but has limited wear and tear, so I'm not concerned about his age much.  I also like Ali in the later rounds. Couldn't test because of the injury from the senior bowl, but he's got clearly evident explosion when you watch him at Marshall. 

I really like those you mentioned. I'd add Ray Davis, too.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, straighthate said:

Yeah, I think they are actually pretty happy with brandon allen as the backup. If Brock goes down, I wouldn't be surprised if they then put in a call to Tannehill as I don't think he's going to sign anywhere if they want to try another vet starter. 

Given how bad the end of this draft is, I think it's a pretty solid idea to just throw a dart at a QB in the later rounds. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I'll be curious to see what he does at NDs pro day, if he was able to drop that time down to the sub 4.6 range, like a 4.58, would that sway you some? I did see an article where he was clocked at 20 mph on that 80 yarder vs NC state 

21 minutes ago, adamq said:

I'll be curious to see what he does at NDs pro day, if he was able to drop that time down to the sub 4.6 range, like a 4.58, would that sway you some? I did see an article where he was clocked at 20 mph on that 80 yarder vs NC state 

Sub 4.6 and I'd check back in. I would expect him to drop it some, pro days usually do, but it has to be noticeable for me. I'd expect him to be a 4.65 at his pro day if he's a 4.71 at the combine. If he's somehow 4.55, then maybe it's just a mulligan at the combine. He's got good burst, the 40 just tells me that it dies rather quickly.

Like, right now I feel like maybe he's just Alexander Mattison

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Sub 4.6 and I'd check back in. I would expect him to drop it some, pro days usually do, but it has to be noticeable for me. I'd expect him to be a 4.65 at his pro day if he's a 4.71 at the combine. If he's somehow 4.55, then maybe it's just a mulligan at the combine. He's got good burst, the 40 just tells me that it dies rather quickly.

Like, right now I feel like maybe he's just Alexander Mattison

Estime's 10 yard split was pretty damn good from what i remember. The guy just has 0 long speed which is pretty evident when you look at the tape and his stats. He has a ton of 10+ yard runs but almost nothing 15+.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Justone2 said:

Estime's 10 yard split was pretty damn good from what i remember. The guy just has 0 long speed which is pretty evident when you look at the tape and his stats. He has a ton of 10+ yard runs but almost nothing 15+.

Yep, his explosion numbers are pretty good. I think he's a backup with some short yardage cache, with his upside around Alexander mattison and  fairly capped.  I don't think he's wiggly either....I'd be surprised if he ran the 3 cone, but I don't think those numbers would be good (which is the reason why I wager he passes on that). I'd guess like 7.15 or so if he ran. 

Thats not to say he couldn't be better than someone like Mattison....Jeff Wilson was probably less athletic than Estime overall and look how effective he was / is....but also, that's not the type of upside I'm chasing in the middle rounds at 3/4. Take that late day 3 or as a priority UDFA. 

• Like 1

Curious what you guys think - depending on how the draft of course plays out, but if we don’t bring in Simmons, Diggs or anyone else, could we possibly take one of the top safeties at 31? They already stated that Huf’s position isn’t guaranteed and they haven’t filled it yet. Just curious which other direction we could possibly go if all the top Oline prospects are gone. 

4 minutes ago, StevenK said:

Curious what you guys think - depending on how the draft of course plays out, but if we don’t bring in Simmons, Diggs or anyone else, could we possibly take one of the top safeties at 31? They already stated that Huf’s position isn’t guaranteed and they haven’t filled it yet. Just curious which other direction we could possibly go if all the top Oline prospects are gone. 

If Huf is fit and ready to play surely his spot is secure,no??

2 hours ago, JIllg said:

I really like those you mentioned. I'd add Ray Davis, too.

I'd add Dylan Laube in there as well.

Dude has some nice hands and seems to have a knack for finding space.

One of the last picks or UDFA.

15 minutes ago, StevenK said:

Unless it's dejean, there's not a safety worth 31. And I don't think it's that close for me. I don't even have a lot of guys at the position I would take at 63. Nubin probably, but I'm not a Kinchens fan. 

Also, given the market for safeties right now, I think it's just a poor investment at 31. Maybe the safety market goes bonkers in the next couple of years, but it's not great this year at all and there are plenty of guys available who are perfectly competent nfl players who won't cost much. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DTMW78 said:

If Huf is fit and ready to play surely his spot is secure,no??

Not according to Mike Silver. 

• Like 1