Who are the most surprising busts and the least surprising busts you have seen?

Kiwibrown

Least surprised:  Blaine Gabbert.  Saw him in college, knew he wasn't it.  Same story but double for Ryan Mallett.

Most surprised:  Michael Bush.  I thought Bush was going to be a Brandon Jacobs clone.  I suppose he didn't completely bust, but he wasn't as good as I anticipated after watching him at Louisville.

On 9/18/2023 at 7:15 PM, INbengalfan said:

Vernon Gholston comes to mind for just how quickly his star was extinguished.

He was such an easy evaluation. Great production at a big school, insane testing, and very much passed the eye test. He should have been great.

I feel like everyone should have (and to be fair, I think a lot of people did) seen Manziel being a huge bust. You can't succeed at QB in the NFL without putting out insane effort. Jamarcus Russell was a bust for the same reason, but at least I could see how a team might talk themselves into him because of his physical profile. Manziel was a pipsqueak. I didn't see any positive traits in Manziel.

20 hours ago, minutemancl said:

I feel like everyone should have (and to be fair, I think a lot of people did) seen Manziel being a huge bust. You can't succeed at QB in the NFL without putting out insane effort. Jamarcus Russell was a bust for the same reason, but at least I could see how a team might talk themselves into him because of his physical profile. Manziel was a pipsqueak. I didn't see any positive traits in Manziel.

I saw Manziel have a few good games; if he'd put in the work he could've knocked around as a #2 for a decade.

20 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I could have sworn you said he was completely ineffective 

He was really bad his first two years. I'm talking like, unable to make a tackle at the LB position bad. But he's done a complete 180 since the start of last season and is one of our better defensive players. It was quite the turnaround and frankly one I never saw coming

1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

He was really bad his first two years. I'm talking like, unable to make a tackle at the LB position bad. But he's done a complete 180 since the start of last season and is one of our better defensive players. It was quite the turnaround and frankly one I never saw coming

Queen was 20 years old when he was drafted and did not have much playing experience in college, so it really isn't surprising that he had a slow start to his NFL career. 

55 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

Queen was 20 years old when he was drafted and did not have much playing experience in college, so it really isn't surprising that he had a slow start to his NFL career. 

Yeah I don't disagree, and I expected that on the mental front, but his first two years it was like he was afraid of contact. He legit couldn't tackle in the open field...I had never seen it that bad for a LB at any level before. I think he had a come to jesus moment at some point in the 2021 offseason though because he had to have seen how soft he looked on film. Completely different player now

• Like 1