Justin Fields

JibjeResearch

22 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

IMO it's too early to be set on trading Fields. They should at least finish evaluating the rookie prospects first. If they want one of them more than Fields, then they can put Justin on the market but that would be a decision for closer to the draft, probably within a week or so. If they player they want isn't Caleb Williams, then they can also consider a trade down for more picks. But taking the haul and rolling with Fields is a perfectly reasonable option.

The Bears are probably more likely to make the playoffs in 2024 with Fields + haul than with rookie QB. The question is who will take the team deeper into the playoffs in 2026 or thereafter. But the answer may still be Fields. 

That is where I stand.

JF1 has a good connection with DJ and Kmet, but this connection is not a game winning connection.  On top of that, if the C/G had played 50% better, the Bears could have been in the playoff...regardless of Getsy's play calling.

Thus, it's important for the Bears to upgrade the C/G and find another BigTime WR for him.... such as A Mike Evans.  A rookie such as MHJ or Nabers would be nice too.

I'm sure Poles/Management can see that....

Caleb is a smaller version of JF1 with a quicker release... he will need the C/G and another WR.... and the ability to see an open receiver in the NFL.

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Absolutely nothing CJ Stroud or Bryce Young (or AR) does in the league has any impact on Ryan Poles status as the Bears GM. Never will. He already won that trade multiple times over.

This draft is a different discussion, but last years draft was already a massive win for him

I don't agree at all. Bears likely have the worst QB history of any franchise right now, screwing up that position is more damning in Chicago than anyone else. WRs come and go, BMarsh never saved anyone's job, hell he played in as many playoff games as you and I have, and he was an absolute stud as a WR. Cutler is the best QB the Bears have had in 60+ years and was a very average starter with plus tools. 

I am definitely hopeful for the players the Bears got and like the class quite a bit, like I pointed out I drafted Wright and Dexter exactly where Poles did in realtime, just as I did Fields and Jenkins with Pace's last draft. But drafts aren't in a vacuum. Failing with the Tru pick was amplified due to the talents that were available and passed on. If the QBs Poles passed on thrive and he does not get a franchise QB of his own it will 100% tarnish his draft classes. Until he gets the position figured out there will not be any consistent appearances in the playoffs and the Bears will continue to be in their personal purgatory.

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I don't agree at all. Bears likely have the worst QB history of any franchise right now, screwing up that position is more damning in Chicago than anyone else. WRs come and go, BMarsh never saved anyone's job, hell he played in as many playoff games as you and I have, and he was an absolute stud as a WR. Cutler is the best QB the Bears have had in 60+ years and was a very average starter with plus tools. 

I am definitely hopeful for the players the Bears got and like the class quite a bit, like I pointed out I drafted Wright and Dexter exactly where Poles did in realtime, just as I did Fields and Jenkins with Pace's last draft. But drafts aren't in a vacuum. Failing with the Tru pick was amplified due to the talents that were available and passed on. If the QBs Poles passed on thrive and he does not get a franchise QB of his own it will 100% tarnish his draft classes. Until he gets the position figured out there will not be any consistent appearances in the playoffs and the Bears will continue to be in their personal purgatory.

I think if Poles doesn’t take a QB in this draft and sticks with Fields then Fields becomes “his guy”. At least to me he will. I agree with @StLunatic88 though in that Poles’ legacy and status as our GM aren’t related to anything Stroud does - it’ll be tied to whether or not he gets the QB position here right. Whether he does (with Fields or a rookie) or not, who he passed on doesn’t matter. Nobody would really care that Pace passed on Mahomes if he got it right with the guys he took instead. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think if Poles doesn’t take a QB in this draft and sticks with Fields then Fields becomes “his guy”. At least to me he will. I agree with @StLunatic88 though in that Poles’ legacy and status as our GM aren’t related to anything Stroud does - it’ll be tied to whether or not he gets the QB position here right. Whether he does (with Fields or a rookie) or not, who he passed on doesn’t matter. Nobody would really care that Pace passed on Mahomes if he got it right with the guys he took instead. 

If he would get the QB position right, then I'd agree. What I am saying is if he passes on prospects this offseason for Fields and Fields does play like crap that he may not get to stay and pick one in 2025. Warren may not trust his evaluations if he missed several opportunities over two straight drafts (assuming Stroud continues to play at least at an above average level and Williams, Maye or Daniels play well). Poles had a hell of a haul for 1.1 but if he comes out of two straight first overall picks and still goes into the 2025 offseason with nothing but a question at QB then it would be hard for me to defend him. For a QB starved franchise passive over guys who become franchise QBs (talking top 10 pick guys, not guys like Dak, Cousins, etc) then passing over these guys is little better than drafting poor players like Tru, because if you pass over them then you likely simply missed on your evaluations. Now if Williams/Maye/Daniels all play at a meh kind of level then Poles will get a huge boost of confidence from upper brass.

I do think he will pick a QB this draft. This will be his third offseason, his plan has allowed complete roster turnover and getting his guys in, and Fields was sacrificed with this plan. I'd be shocked if he kept Fields for another year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

What I am saying is if he passes on prospects this offseason for Fields and Fields does play like crap that he may not get to stay and pick one in 2025.

We’re saying the same thing, brother. Keeping Fields puts Poles’ own job in peril soonest by far. Because of that, Poles would have to not only like JF more than any of this year’s QB prospects, but probably like JF more by a lot in order to move forward with him under center.

I also fully expect him to take a QB this year, and I think the way you termed Fields to having been “sacrificed” to Poles tear down rebuild plan is pretty darn accurate given what’s led us to this point.  

• Like 1

I suppose the Bears are going to trade the top pick. I know nothing, but that seems to be the way the wind is blowing. What I say: The Bears could keep Justin Fields (and should), and trade the first pick down once or twice, and build the kind of supporting cast a team needs to contend.

-Peter King.  

Me: People grabbing onto this are kind of leaving out the “I know nothing” part.  

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

I suppose the Bears are going to trade the top pick. I know nothing, but that seems to be the way the wind is blowing. What I say: The Bears could keep Justin Fields (and should), and trade the first pick down once or twice, and build the kind of supporting cast a team needs to contend.

-Peter King.  

Me: People grabbing onto this are kind of leaving out the “I know nothing” part.  

Stack the team and trade to get the final pick of the draft. Bears select Purdy 2.0 - Kedon Slovis! (anyone remember the hype he had after his freshman year?)

• Like 1

-Peter King.  

How many people have grabbed onto the "winds and whispers" going around the Senior Bowl that we were for sure Trading Fields away? And havent looked back until right now when King said this?

The "I know nothing" is that he doesnt have a source telling him this inside the Bears Organization (something this regime has really cleaned up) but the "seems to be the way the winds are blowing" is because he has heard that from people on other teams are now feeling this way.

To both of those things, I will say you are a fool to believe either one of these sets of "information" which are nothing more than rumors people are hearing.

Nothing has been decided. I believe inside the building, both sides have their crusaders but overall most see the good in both paths, and Im not sure they are all that close to a final decision.

And the more Ive looked at it, the less I think there is a deadline other than once that first pick is on the clock. None of the teams are putting Fields behind anyone on that free agent list, other than maybe rehabbing Kirk Cousins, who is really just going to pick where he wants.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Stack the team and trade to get the final pick of the draft. Bears select Purdy 2.0 - Kedon Slovis! (anyone remember the hype he had after his freshman year?)

he retired after his 6th (7th?) year at Rice last year

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

How many people have grabbed onto the "winds and whispers" going around the Senior Bowl that we were for sure Trading Fields away? And havent looked back until right now when King said this?

The "I know nothing" is that he doesnt have a source telling him this inside the Bears Organization (something this regime has really cleaned up) but the "seems to be the way the winds are blowing" is because he has heard that from people on other teams are now feeling this way.

To both of those things, I will say you are a fool to believe either one of these sets of "information" which are nothing more than rumors people are hearing.

Nothing has been decided. I believe inside the building, both sides have their crusaders but overall most see the good in both paths, and Im not sure they are all that close to a final decision.

And the more Ive looked at it, the less I think there is a deadline other than once that first pick is on the clock. None of the teams are putting Fields behind anyone on that free agent list, other than maybe rehabbing Kirk Cousins, who is really just going to pick where he wants.

Poles has been thinking about this 24/7 since the season and especially since the number 1 pick was secured. 

He may get some information or an offer that could move him one way or another, but I think any human would have a pretty good idea of what they were going to do long before now.

Nobody outside of a very small circle of trust truly knows because there is no advantage in telling anyone yet.  The outside information is largely people within the league giving their opinion on what they would do and what they expect the Bears to do.  They don't know.   Right now Poles is listening to offers for both Fields and number 1 pick.  He has accepted neither to date.  

Me personally, I am not grasping onto anything.  I am basing my opinion on what I think I have observed and think I know about Poles and my own personal analysis of overall situation and making an educated guess.  

I could be wrong of course or new information or an offer could come that would change his mind from drafting Caleb.

I am a draft Caleb guy and I could be moved by a large enough offer or the right offer were I the GM of Bears.  

Even if Fields is traded in next 2-3 weeks (which I expect) it doesn't mean number 1 can't still be traded.  If Poles likes another QB enough and thinks he can still get him in a trade down that possibility has to be explored.

That is the bigger variable I think that has not been discussed enough.  That the starting QB will be neither Fields nor Caleb.

I do think if Bears draft number 1 that pick will be Caleb.  Not saying that.  I am saying it is possible Bears trade down  and take a different QB.  

Poles has been thinking about this 24/7 since the season and especially since the number 1 pick was secured. 

He may get some information or an offer that could move him one way or another, but I think any human would have a pretty good idea of what they were going to do long before now.

Nobody outside of a very small circle of trust truly knows because there is no advantage in telling anyone yet.  The outside information is largely people within the league giving their opinion on what they would do and what they expect the Bears to do.  They don't know.   Right now Poles is listening to offers for both Fields and number 1 pick.  He has accepted neither to date.  

Me personally, I am not grasping onto anything.  I am basing my opinion on what I think I have observed and think I know about Poles and my own personal analysis of overall situation and making an educated guess.  

I could be wrong of course or new information or an offer could come that would change his mind from drafting Caleb.

I am a draft Caleb guy and I could be moved by a large enough offer or the right offer were I the GM of Bears.  

Even if Fields is traded in next 2-3 weeks (which I expect) it doesn't mean number 1 can't still be traded.  If Poles likes another QB enough and thinks he can still get him in a trade down that possibility has to be explored.

That is the bigger variable I think that has not been discussed enough.  That the starting QB will be neither Fields nor Caleb.

I do think if Bears draft number 1 that pick will be Caleb.  Not saying that.  I am saying it is possible Bears trade down  and take a different QB.  

Completely agree with everything, in particular that the Bears may prefer a different QB. I've thought Maye is possible for a while.

But question for, if you could be convinced to move back, what's your price? Would 3x first round picks be enough to move back to #3?  

• Like 1

There is absolutely no way you can make this decision before you can interview the Prospects, especially in the situation for Caleb Williams. So saying you even have an idea of what you are doing at this point seems silly. And if you did have that idea already, its because you know you are sticking with Fields because he is the only known quantity you have.

It could be someone other than Williams as a draft pick, but the options are Trading away Fields OR Trading away #1, not both. not in any significant way. 

If you work with Washington and you KNOW they want the other guy than you, then maybe you can do a swap between 1 and 2, but you arent going anywhere other than that because then you cant guarantee the guy you want. Its why the Giants didn't fool around with the Daniel Jones pick, they took their guy and didnt wait for him to drop, like everyone else said they should.

3 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Completely agree with everything, in particular that the Bears may prefer a different QB. I've thought Maye is possible for a while.

But question for, if you could be convinced to move back, what's your price? Would 3x first round picks be enough to move back to #3?  

Not sure Maye is there at 3.  

If I am moving to 3 I have to be prepared that someone else takes Maye in front of me so I may need a plan B at QB which is a lot to risk and consider.

For me to move to 3 with Patriots I would need a lot.  

Their roster mostly sucks.  The guy I want most from their roster is Gonzalez, but CB is arguably our strongest position now.

Judon I also like, but he is in last year of his deal.  So pass.

Hmmmm...

If I am doing a deal I want Gonzalez, but I don't need this many CBs so I am going to tag and trade Jaylon Johnson.  I don't love that I have so many contracts coming due at same time in future, but I do love that my roster is young and talented.

So here is what I would potentially take for a trade with NE.

Swap 2024 1s.

2024 2.  

2025 1 and 2

2026 2

Gonzalez

Their team is going to suck in 2024 even with Caleb if they do that deal.

So we are potentially looking at first overall pick again in 2025.  At least a top 5 pick.

I would strongly consider doing that because it is just so much. 

It would be a philosophy of build a great team and the QB matters less or go get a QB later.