Justin Fields

JibjeResearch

6 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

There is absolutely no way you can make this decision before you can interview the Prospects, especially in the situation for Caleb Williams. So saying you even have an idea of what you are doing at this point seems silly. And if you did have that idea already, its because you know you are sticking with Fields because he is the only known quantity you have.

They have already done all kinds of background on Caleb.

An interview is just one more data point.  I would trust other peoples opinions on him who are close to him over the interview.

It could be someone other than Williams as a draft pick, but the options are Trading away Fields OR Trading away #1, not both. not in any significant way. 

The options are the options.  Nothing is off table completely.  

If you work with Washington and you KNOW they want the other guy than you, then maybe you can do a swap between 1 and 2, but you arent going anywhere other than that because then you cant guarantee the guy you want. Its why the Giants didn't fool around with the Daniel Jones pick, they took their guy and didnt wait for him to drop, like everyone else said they should.

There is a point where you can potentially add so much talent in a trade you have to stop and consider it.

I am a proponent of drafting Caleb, but I am not immune to reality that if you can build a strong enough team the QB by himself doesn't matter all that much.   In relative short term anyway.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

An interview is just one more data point.  I would trust other peoples opinions on him who are close to him over the interview.

What? The interviews with Caleb, or any rookie QB but Caleb specifically, are HUGE. 

If you dont think it is more important to sit in a room with someone over just asking around, then Im worried about your evaluation method.

Yes he will be coached up, and yes those answers dont help, but when having prolonged conversations with people they cant keep up the charade the entire time (unless its Russell Wilson, which also tells you something). And I trust that Ryan Poles' BS meter is good enough (especially side stepping Jalen Carter) that he can cut through all of that.

That first interview, and every subsequent one, is more than just a data point. They are WAY more important than that. Its not like seeing where his height checks in at. This is going to be the guy who not only will be the face of the franchise immediately, but will most likely be responsible for your livelihood

5 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

he retired after his 6th (7th?) year at Rice last year

Ah, I was confused because I had to google him to find his first name, Slovis was at BYU last year. You're talking about JT Daniels.

Good call though, maybe he can be both the rookie/veteran UDFA.

24 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Ah, I was confused because I had to google him to find his first name, Slovis was at BYU last year. You're talking about JT Daniels.

Good call though, maybe he can be both the rookie/veteran UDFA.

ahh you're right. both those guys bounced around so many times i mixed them up

58 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Poles presser didn't say Fields is being traded, but said if he was being traded they want to get it done ASAP and before FA.

Sounds like a trade to me.

Poles is so smart at drumming up interesting in the pick/Fields...he knows by publicly saying he wants a decision to be made before the start of FA he is forcing teams to make their best possible offer for either one before they have time to work out what the rest of the teams are offering...it's exactly how he played LV, Houston & Carolina off against each other last year.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Poles is so smart at drumming up interesting in the pick/Fields...he knows by publicly saying he wants a decision to be made before the start of FA he is forcing teams to make their best possible offer for either one before they have time to work out what the rest of the teams are offering...it's exactly how he played LV, Houston & Carolina off against each other last year.

I mean I want my QB in the building ASAP if I am a coach.  It only makes sense.

For Poles/Bears more people that solve their QB position the more the interest in Fields drops.

If you are trading him, which I think they are, it benefits everyone to get it done ASAP.

My guess is a deal is made for Fields at combine.  

47 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I mean I want my QB in the building ASAP if I am a coach.  It only makes sense.

For Poles/Bears more people that solve their QB position the more the interest in Fields drops.

If you are trading him, which I think they are, it benefits everyone to get it done ASAP.

My guess is a deal is made for Fields at combine.  

and as an organization, you definitely would like to know your QB and direction of the team before FA opens

• Like 1