Josh Allen without Brian Daboll

notthatbluestuff

On 9/12/2023 at 8:31 AM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The only reason I didn't is because the OP didn't, but if we include playoffs:

2018 - 2021: 67 Games | 47 INT's | 44 Fumbles | 1.36 INT's/Fumbles per game

2022 - 2023: 19 Games | 20 INT's | 18 Fumbles | 2 INT's/Fumbles per game

So adding playoffs makes his w/ Daboll turnovers go down by .03 and his w/out Daboll turnovers go up by .12(!!)

Again, I don't think 19 games is a very large sample size so it would be very easy for him to fluctuate that number, but it is concerning and again the fact he's almost always been at 1.5 turnovers/game for his entire career is...lol not good.

31 minutes ago, Soggust said:

You're not wrong. He had a down year last year compared to prior years

But I do kinda feel like it's within the realm of standard deviation, no?

allen.png

Since Daboll left, he's turned the ball over more .64 more times per game. I don't think that falls within any sort of standard deviation.

30 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Since Daboll left, he's turned the ball over more .64 more times per game. I don't think that falls within any sort of standard deviation.

I think my math must be wrong, but I'm not sure where - 

From 2018-2021 (Daboll Years) - Josh had 61 turnovers in 61 games (1:1 ratio).

In 2022, josh had 19 turnovers in 16 games for 1.19 per game. Even if we include this year to try to skew the numbers against him, he has 23 turnovers in 17 games (1.35 per game). Seems like that's .35 more per game (including this year) and .19 more per game if we only use 2022, right?

---------------------

Also - in 2019, he had 13 turnovers. In 2020, he had 16 turnovers. That's 3 extra turnovers difference in a single year (Both Daboll years).

From 2018-2021 (prior to Daboll leaving), he averaged 1:1. So, he theoretically should have had 16 turnovers last year, but he had 19...3 more (like 2020).

We certainly see QBs fluctuate way more than that year to year.

1 hour ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Actually, the numbers were posted earlier in the thread; Allen's turnover rate has been noticeably higher since 2022, week one.

I would not say noticeably higher as another poster pointed out. 

You still missed the point entirely though. No one is saying the turnovers aren’t an issue. They’ve always been an issue.

You seem to want to focus on the post Daboll part only. 

20 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

I would not say noticeably higher as another poster pointed out. 

You still missed the point entirely though. No one is saying the turnovers aren’t an issue. They’ve always been an issue.

You seem to want to focus on the post Daboll part only. 

I would say they are noticeably higher, though. The turnovers were an issue and they're now even more so.

17 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

I would say they are noticeably higher, though. The turnovers were an issue and they're now even more so.

I think that remains to be seen. 

Despite his turnovers they still won 13 games (yes could have won more if he didn’t turn it over against Minny but also would have won less if not for his gunslinger mentality) last year. That’s with a rookie OC compared to Daboll who had been an OC at the nfl level for a few different teams and 4 years with the Bills. 

If the turnovers go back down to the 15-16 range or whatever it was, are they still an issue? Yes. Are they more of an issue under Dorsey than Daboll? I’d say a wash. 

12 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Congrats on your 2nd-best offense trophy, but it didn't help the Bills go any deeper in the playoffs. If Allen's turnovers are a factor, there's no reason it shouldn't be discussed.

It’s just a lazy take to say Daboll the reason when no one gave a flying crap about Daboll before Josh. Josh got Daboll a job. 

https://x.com/_MLFootball/status/1702761817145999466?s=20

1. Still can't get over the x name for Twitter now. 

2. I am unsure of whether to agree with this ofc, but wow seems many have soured on Josh Allen as of late, to the point where people really believe Mac Jones is the better QB. 

I'm honestly unsure of who is actually better I suppose.

Edited by NeptunePenguins

6 minutes ago, NeptunePenguins said:

2. I don't agree with this ofc, but wow seems many have soured on Josh Allen as of late, to the point where people really believe Mac Jones is the better QB. 

I do think Mac is a bit underrated but some but I am not putting him above Josh Allen that's for sure. 

All with worse weapons, a worse offensive line, and worse playcalling (until last week?).

Cant argue with the numbers here, folks. Mac>Josh.

3 hours ago, NeptunePenguins said:

2. I am unsure of whether to agree with this ofc, but wow seems many have soured on Josh Allen as of late, to the point where people really believe Mac Jones is the better QB. 

I'm honestly unsure of who is actually better I suppose.

Josh Allen is Trending down currently. Same as Justin Herbert. The new contract brings with it new expectations. I have Josh Allen as the 3rd QB in the league. Mahomes is a complete different animal and I acknowledge a lot of that perception likely has to do with Andy Reid. I’d also take Joe Burrow over Allen. Joe is the prototype QB that can run any offense where as Allen you have to tailor the offense to him. Brees and Favre both needed certain style offenses to succeed too.

I’d love to see Mahomes in a vacuum but the Walrus is going nowhere. 

I would love to see Herbert in Reid’s offense.