The Week 2 Gameday Thread: Commanders @ Broncos: Let's Ride! - 4:25 Game - GIF Theme Tobey Maguire

MikeT14

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

Saahdiq does move very well for a guard, which I appreciate. He gets downfield in a hurry on screens, and he does a pretty good job when they ask him to get to a spot when pulling. 

He does move well, he had to have that athleticism when he played LT at LSU  blocking for Burrow. 

I have no idea what to think with this game. You have two solid defenses with two offenses still trying to find identity. OU was at 40.5 and I think that might be spot on. Some 20-17 game won late. 

My keys to the game:

1) Continue to execute well on defense on third down. The cardinals were 28%. Let's keep the Broncos at 35% or worse. 

2) Less turnovers for the offense. Three is way too many. If we don't cough up the ball, we'll obviously have more opportunities. 

3) Get Terry involved. We're cooking when he is. 

If Barton struggles again I'd like to see Hudson start to eat into his snaps. I know it was week one but everything that happened is all the same stuff I read about him on Seahawks forums after we signed him. Struggles shedding blocks and just generally looks lost out there. I get so annoyed when I watch defenses like the Jets and 49ers and see their LB play and then watch our staff just act like its a dead position. 

On 9/12/2023 at 6:01 PM, e16bball said:

For what it’s worth, watching the game back, I thought Charles was actually more of a problem for us than Wylie. Not that Wylie was very good…but Saahdiq was pretty bad.

It’s really just more of the same issue that has always existed with Charles: his initial punch/contact seems to be weak, and he frequently loses (badly) in the first engagement. He actually does a pretty admirable job of shoring up and slowing them down eventually, but he gets driven back so quickly that he creates a lot of panic and disruption in the QB behind him.

I was pretty surprised we were actually moving forward with him as a starter tbh. I more expected Gates at guard and Stromberg to start.

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

If Barton struggles again I'd like to see Hudson start to eat into his snaps. I know it was week one but everything that happened is all the same stuff I read about him on Seahawks forums after we signed him. Struggles shedding blocks and just generally looks lost out there. I get so annoyed when I watch defenses like the Jets and 49ers and see their LB play and then watch our staff just act like its a dead position. 

I'm not sure why we are trying to replace Barton with an in-house player? What plays did Barton not make that warranted a suggestion of him being removed? 

I didn't really see any great plays from him and I didn't see any real bad plays from him either. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I'm not sure why we are trying to replace Barton with an in-house player? What plays did Barton not make that warranted a suggestion of him being removed? 

I didn't really see any great plays from him and I didn't see any real bad plays from him either. 

https://x.com/Tiller56/status/1700950412126306753?s=20

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/cody-barton/50727

There's a bunch more. There's one where he gets driven completely out of bounds and thrown to the ground. He struggled big time. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

https://x.com/Tiller56/status/1700950412126306753?s=20

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/cody-barton/50727

There's a bunch more. There's one where he gets driven completely out of bounds and thrown to the ground. He struggled big time. 

So two things on the two examples that you gave.

The first thing, on the play where Connor gets his 13 yard gain, Barton does a great job reading and reacting, but he doesn't commit to the gap when he needs to. To me that is less about him being inept or as the video suggest "watching Connor run by him" and more about him needing to trust his instincts and go. The play is actually pretty well blocked by the Cardinals as well. They sealed the edge on Toohill with their TE (Ertz) which shouldn't really happen ever either. To me this play is not an indication that the player needs to be replaced. Just my opinion.

The second thing is, you are referencing PFF for a grade while a player that both you and I know played poorly, Andrew Wylie, was graded as one of our top 5 grades on offense. Again, I am not here telling you that Barton played "great" but when I watched the game live, I didn't think he played poorly. Take it for what its worth.

11 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

He was really bad. Constantly fooled, sticky on blocks, taking bad angles, soft coverage on Ertz, etc. He seemed to tackle okay, but otherwise it was really not good. 

As I said elsewhere, LB is a tough position to step into a new system, so there’s no need to write him off quite yet. And definitely not for Khaleke Hudson, who I’ve always thought was really not good, dating back to his time at Michigan.

Edited by e16bball

Commanders
Player Position Injuries Practice Status Game Status
Sam Cosmi G   Full Participation in Practice  
Jartavius Martin CB   Did Not Participate In Practice  
Terry McLaurin WR   Full Participation in Practice  
Curtis Samuel WR   Limited Participation in Practice  
Chase Young DE   Full Participation in Practice  

That's new?

Broncos
Player Position Injuries Practice Status Game Status
Frank Clark LB   Did Not Participate In Practice