The Week 2 Gameday Thread: Commanders @ Broncos: Let's Ride! - 4:25 Game - GIF Theme Tobey Maguire

MikeT14

16 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Now I know it’s one game and he could just suck the rest of the year or get hurt but if Chase continues on this pace not picking up his option is going to be a total disaster. 

We have Sam on a cheap contract. We have done well drafting as of late and our cap space is in a fantastic position. We have the ability to resign both Sweat and Young*.

*Early sample size, but if we end up signing both it means we had a dominate DLINE - a true core competency.

Edited by Troublez
  • Like 2

On 9/18/2023 at 5:16 PM, MKnight82 said:

Why? We can just franchise tag him.

Either Sweat, or Chase can get franchised, not both. So one will be on the tag and one will have to re-sign without that tag (if he wants to). Figuring out which player to tag and which to negotiate normally is going to be tense.

But it's a good problem to have. I'd rather have to worry about getting two stud DEs back on the roster than if one or the other tanks this year and it leaves us with just 1 DE

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Either Sweat, or Chase can get franchised, not both. So one will be on the tag and one will have to re-sign without that tag (if he wants to). Figuring out which player to tag and which to negotiate normally is going to be tense.

But it's a good problem to have. I'd rather have to worry about getting two stud DEs back on the roster than if one or the other tanks this year and it leaves us with just 1 DE

I’d rather not have a contract guaranteed for injury with a guy that’s missed the past two seasons. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I’d rather not have a contract guaranteed for injury with a guy that’s missed the past two seasons. 

But he hasn't. He had one injury, a major injury that he’s battled back from. I don't effin get it, people should be elated he battled back from an injury that could've been a career ender to have such a great game on Sunday but were still talking about the same bs we've been talking about since June of 2021 of at the least the 2021 season.

If Sweat plays as he has the first 2 games the rest of the year, you lock him up long term. Then, IMO you give Chase the “non-exclusive” franchise tag so he can negotiate with other teams and we can chose to match it or work out a trade with him.

17 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Oh, I'm not saying I disagree with you at all. I'm just saying that this is how it works out. The team hasn't always made the best decisions in the past so I'm expecting anything to happen.

16 hours ago, turtle28 said:

But he hasn't. He had one injury, a major injury that he’s battled back from. I don't effin get it, people should be elated he battled back from an injury that could've been a career ender to have such a great game on Sunday but were still talking about the same bs we've been talking about since June of 2021 of at the least the 2021 season.

If Sweat plays as he has the first 2 games the rest of the year, you lock him up long term. Then, IMO you give Chase the “non-exclusive” franchise tag so he can negotiate with other teams and we can chose to match it or work out a trade with him.

Here's the thing, though. 

See the bolded. How do you do the first if he is a free agent and you don't have the threat of a tag to force him to negotiate? And if you tag Sweat, you can't tag Chase.

My point is that if we're trying to do as you suggest, it will require quite a bit of $$ over what we probably would've otherwise had to pony up.

10 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Here's the thing, though. 

See the bolded. How do you do the first if he is a free agent and you don't have the threat of a tag to force him to negotiate? And if you tag Sweat, you can't tag Chase.

My point is that if we're trying to do as you suggest, it will require quite a bit of $$ over what we probably would've otherwise had to pony up.

Totally understood, hence why not giving Chase the 5th year option continues to look like a gigantic mistake as Chase, Curl & Tez are all FAs in March. 🤦‍♂️