The Week 2 Gameday Thread: Commanders @ Broncos: Let's Ride! - 4:25 Game - GIF Theme Tobey Maguire

MikeT14

12 hours ago, mar29020 said:

chase looked good today. He can def be disruptive. 

Overall he played good. However, I was disappointed in him quite a few times for going way too far outside on some of his rushes. One of which, led to leaving a huge lane for Wilson to scramble and pick up 13 and a first down. 

He looked like he learned from that later in the game and stopped doing it. Definitely a good first game back for him though.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Umbaugh21 said:

Overall he played good. However, I was disappointed in him quite a few times for going way too far outside on some of his rushes. One of which, led to leaving a huge lane for Wilson to scramble and pick up 13 and a first down. 

He looked like he learned from that later in the game and stopped doing it. Definitely a good first game back for him though.

Yeah, the first quarter his rushes were too wide, they looked like September of 2021 but he and Kerrigan must have adjusted that on the sideline bc he got better quickly.

28 minutes ago, Umbaugh21 said:

I've been waiting for someone to bring this up. He didn't do it "quite a few times" it happened once. If you're gonna complain about letting Russell Wilson get underneath him one time then go watch any of the best pass rushers in the league and tell me they don't do that from time to time. It was a bad rush I agree, but don't say it happened quite a few times because he got beat once. 

He did get sucked in on a few rushes his way but most defenses have linebackers who would be stepping up and making those tackles and we have ones that bounce off. I don't think he played a perfect game but he played pretty dam well. 

22 minutes ago, Scott Land said:

I've been waiting for someone to bring this up. He didn't do it "quite a few times" it happened once. If you're gonna complain about letting Russell Wilson get underneath him one time then go watch any of the best pass rushers in the league and tell me they don't do that from time to time. It was a bad rush I agree, but don't say it happened quite a few times because he got beat once. 

He did get sucked in on a few rushes his way but most defenses have linebackers who would be stepping up and making those tackles and we have ones that bounce off. I don't think he played a perfect game but he played pretty dam well. 

They did run at Chase Young a lot.  Now that may have been by design to attack the guy who's been out awhile, or maybe they just like running behind Bolles, but Young really never made them pay for doing so. It's an issue he had even as a rookie, he is definitely better as a pass rusher than run defender. He gets overaggressive and blows into the backfield too quickly taking himself out of the play. Brian Orakpo used to do the same thing all of the time. He just needs to learn how to play within the scheme better. 

1 hour ago, Scott Land said:

@MKnight82 has been talking about it all yesterday and today. It happened more than once but, it didn't happen in the 2nd half.

They had a few bug runs running at him in the first quarter once in the red zone, on another run in their side of the field & the Wilson scramble. 

Kerrigan must have gotten with hik & they reviewed film in the 2nd quarter bc Chase got better vs the run as the game went on and on his pass rush to run responsibility & gap integrity. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

They did run at Chase Young a lot.  Now that may have been by design to attack the guy who's been out awhile, or maybe they just like running behind Bolles, but Young really never made them pay for doing so. It's an issue he had even as a rookie, he is definitely better as a pass rusher than run defender. He gets overaggressive and blows into the backfield too quickly taking himself out of the play. Brian Orakpo used to do the same thing all of the time. He just needs to learn how to play within the scheme better. 

I think this is an exaggeration. Both Rak a decade ago and Chase have some plays where they would blow past the OT, evade their gap and don't set the edge well but it's not most of the time, it's a few times a game. 

Chase shows up a lot on tape absolutely manhandling TEs & OTs in the run game or shooting gaps to make TFLs or other plays in the run game. He has some plays where he doesn't, but in no way is it the majority of his run D snaps.

Edited by turtle28

Just watched shome highlites of Broncos game. Yes our OL sucks I get it  but the Mclaurin TD catch the OL did well. On the Mclaurin TD EB called up a play to help both  tackles out by using a RB to help Wylie and a TE to help on the other side who later went to the flat. EB needs to do more of this by helping the OL and SH out. On the Mclaurin TD SH threw into triple coverage!!!!! He got away b/c of his accuracy. I still think alot of the sacks can go both ways some on SH and some on the OL so the solution is EB play calling. For example look at the fumble by SH with the game tie at 21 jonathon cooper beats Wylie. No help for both tackles. Have to image tackles will be a priority in next yr draft..

EB went with the run a little more GOOD move. 

6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I disagree. We need to re-sign our own guys. Kam needs paid....

We need to upgrade OT for our future but, I think we should draft...

Very much agree with this.  We could blow our wad just trying to resign our own guys and we likely still won't be able to keep them all.  It should start with Kam Curl as he is likely the only player who we can extend in season right now for a reasonable amount.  Do it.

Also agree with oline.  Ridiculous how many of us "fanboys" can predict the oline will be a problem but Rivera doesn't see it.  We need to draft more oline high.  And Charles is a free agent after this year.  Even if he continues playing well, I am not giving him a second contract because he puts 1 good year in out of 4 years.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Agreed. This was what I saw in his 2nd year and what I saw at the beginning of the game yesterday with his pass rush. But as @Scott Land correctly pointed out, he apparently quickly changed tactic and used more bull rushes and stopped the darned stutter stepping BS and started moving the LT back into the QB, keeping containment and creating havoc. Haven't seen that since his rookie year and I'm happy to see it return. 

And you are correct that the Broncos successfully ran to his side a lot yesterday. He wasn't as good vs the run as I remember. Hopefully that gets fixed as he gets more game reps.

As a grade I'd give him a B+. 

• Like 2