2023 GDT 0-1 Steelers vs. 1-0 Da Browns

Steeler Hitman

Do the Steelers Bounce Back with a win versus Da Browns?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Do the Steelers Bounce Back with a win versus Da Browns?

• Yeah, they bounce back!
    • You're a homer and you're dreaming!
    • They tie. Like kissing your great aunt and she slips you the tongue. Yuck!!!

4 minutes ago, VigilantZombie said:

What baffles me is that Mike? Tomlin has already come out and said he is not going to make wholesale changes. Which to me is him saying he is not getting rid of Matt, Canada.

They got lucky to get out of last night's game with a win. How bad does the offensive game plan have to be in order for us to make a change?

He’s also not saying changes won’t happen.  He’s also said “We do acknowledge that two is a pattern.  We’ve had two outings that are not up to snuff in that regard. And so it has our attention as we are preparing for this next one.  We’re all in this thing together, man.  We’re not assigning plane for anyone.  Obviously it starts with coach, man. We gotta coach better.  We gotta get these guys playing faster with more fluidity and surer.”

And Tomlin is not a guy who calls out anyone publicly and this is about the closest I’ve ever recalled him doing it: “We got to get these guys playing faster with more fluidity, ensure we got to start faster.  We have to play more coordinated, particularly at the early stages of the games.  We have to anticipated schematics of those that we play against a little bit better and display in anticipation is a component of preparedness.”

Now I added the bolded part myself because he’s never talked that bluntly about coaching like this.  I’ll be honest, I really do appreciate Coach T’s ability to keep things in house, not letting it out, and I give him credit for taking all the blowback.  Now that doesn’t mean I think he’s infallible, but it sure as hell is something I respect the hell out of.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, warfelg said:

He’s also not saying changes won’t happen.  He’s also said “We do acknowledge that two is a pattern.  We’ve had two outings that are not up to snuff in that regard. And so it has our attention as we are preparing for this next one.  We’re all in this thing together, man.  We’re not assigning plane for anyone.  Obviously it starts with coach, man. We gotta coach better.  We gotta get these guys playing faster with more fluidity and surer.”

And Tomlin is not a guy who calls out anyone publicly and this is about the closest I’ve ever recalled him doing it: “We got to get these guys playing faster with more fluidity, ensure we got to start faster.  We have to play more coordinated, particularly at the early stages of the games.  We have to anticipated schematics of those that we play against a little bit better and display in anticipation is a component of preparedness.”

Now I added the bolded part myself because he’s never talked that bluntly about coaching like this.  I’ll be honest, I really do appreciate Coach T’s ability to keep things in house, not letting it out, and I give him credit for taking all the blowback.  Now that doesn’t mean I think he’s infallible, but it sure as hell is something I respect the hell out of.

It’s all word vomit…nothing will change.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, AFF said:

It’s all word vomit…nothing will change.

Yeah and it’s a hard sell to push that anything would change. Tomlin said 2 games is a pattern…brother we are on year 3. 

Kaboly put out a tweet I thought was too opinion piece to share earlier, but it alluded to the reason Tomlin doesn’t agree with Canadas criticism is because he has his hand in that pie too. That would make sense. 

Tomlin feels either too involved or not involved at all of the offense. I’m not sure which way I would lean. 

12 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

lol. 

And yet Canada is still employed.

This is Pittsburgh PIRATES level incompetence.

I get dumping Canada in season isnt going automatically turn our offense around or even make it any better, but it would at least send a message that they see the issues and care committed to fixing.

Feel like this regime has "settled" on being middle of the road.

9 hours ago, 43M said:

And yet Canada is still employed.

This is Pittsburgh PIRATES level incompetence.

I get dumping Canada in season isnt going automatically turn our offense around or even make it any better, but it would at least send a message that they see the issues and care committed to fixing.

Feel like this regime has "settled" on being middle of the road.

Tomlin isn't gonna fire Canada. No matter what. Tomlin has settled on being middle of the road for years. As long as he goes .500 or above he is happy.

2 hours ago, VigilantZombie said:

Tomlin isn't gonna fire Canada. No matter what. Tomlin has settled on being middle of the road for years. As long as he goes .500 or above he is happy.

This season could be make or break though if the FO had a different expectation for this team.  Maybe TJ and Alex will keep winning games and we will own the bottom left corner of that graphic like nobody else ever has or will for that matter yet still win a few games here and there.  Boswell could also rebound and Harvin might also help. See, we don't need offence afterall do we? 

I am not trying to turn this into some "we need to fire Tomlin" thing, but these right here is why it's now on him. He has to own this....because this stuff.... 100% in his control to understand, digest, and correct. 

This started as a Matt Canada problem. Matt should have noted this and corrected it. Shame on him. 

But after THREE FREAKING YEARS, it's a Tomlin problem. Shame on Matt for being terrible. Shame on Tomlin for allowing it to continue at this drastic of a level. We are losing the play before the ball is even snapped and it's obvious to everyone else in the world but Mike. 

There's a bigger talk to be had on Mike Tomlin and the Steelers lack of analytical thinking. Someone inside of that building is handing him a piece of paper with these numbers on it -- they have to be, I mean they HAVE to be doing the bare minimum. What you do with those numbers though is all up to the openness of the people receiving them to address it. What type of willingness does this team show? Looks like it's getting thrown in the trash. 

Tomlin is an old-school mentality coach and that's perfectly fine. But modern age football doesn't make things better because, well, gee wiz we are gonna work on it!

If execution is bad, shame on the player for not getting it. If execution is bad for the entirety of a season (or longer for us...), shame on the coaches for not being able to teach, install, or change the issues. 

Sorry for the wall of text, but this is just infuriating. This isn't "oh, it's good defense", this isn't "but the players!", this isn't "continuity!"....this is a foundational failure and Tomlin is the base of that foundation. I do not trust that he can course correct this because I believe deep down in his bones, he thinks they are doing the right things. This team is so far off course from a functional modern day NFL offense and it's absurd we have been here for 3-4 years. 

/rant

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I am not trying to turn this into some "we need to fire Tomlin" thing, but these right here is why it's now on him. He has to own this....because this stuff.... 100% in his control to understand, digest, and correct. 

This started as a Matt Canada problem. Matt should have noted this and corrected it. Shame on him. 

But after THREE FREAKING YEARS, it's a Tomlin problem. Shame on Matt for being terrible. Shame on Tomlin for allowing it to continue at this drastic of a level. We are losing the play before the ball is even snapped and it's obvious to everyone else in the world but Mike. 

There's a bigger talk to be had on Mike Tomlin and the Steelers lack of analytical thinking. Someone inside of that building is handing him a piece of paper with these numbers on it -- they have to be, I mean they HAVE to be doing the bare minimum. What you do with those numbers though is all up to the openness of the people receiving them to address it. What type of willingness does this team show? Looks like it's getting thrown in the trash. 

Tomlin is an old-school mentality coach and that's perfectly fine. But modern age football doesn't make things better because, well, gee wiz we are gonna work on it!

If execution is bad, shame on the player for not getting it. If execution is bad for the entirety of a season (or longer for us...), shame on the coaches for not being able to teach, install, or change the issues. 

Sorry for the wall of text, but this is just infuriating. This isn't "oh, it's good defense", this isn't "but the players!", this isn't "continuity!"....this is a foundational failure and Tomlin is the base of that foundation. I do not trust that he can course correct this because I believe deep down in his bones, he thinks they are doing the right things. This team is so far off course from a functional modern day NFL offense and it's absurd we have been here for 3-4 years. 

/rant

Just posted this in another thread before I saw this and I had the same reaction. Absolutely infuriating.

• Like 1