Week 2 GDT: Jets @ Cowboys

WizardHawk

14 minutes ago, Northland said:

It isn't flashy but Dak and the offense are moving the chains.

It will never be flashy in this offense. MM has removed all of the flash. Less motion, simpler route combinations, fewer options, easier reads, and every pass combo has a running back in easy positioning for a simple dump off.

No more is there three routes all going 10 to 20 yards up field with a runner in the back field to help block and buy time. No more split crossers (where a receiver from each side of the field crosses to the entire other side). All of these things take time to develop, and force Dak to wait or buy time, and make several reads at once. 

McCarthy ensures the route combos are easy, make the initial read and either throw it or drop it to the running back or TE who are both in easy distance. It's not flashy. It isn't super explosive. But it's effective and limits risk.

I keep saying this but it's true - if you master the simple stuff and become perfect at it, it's almost impossible to stop. Ask Tom and Bill.

3 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Dak was VERY late on that throw. He got lucky it was dropped.

Way too late. I had to rewind it on my secondary TV to see if I can find a reason why. Other than Dak looking away and then coming back to that side, there was no reason it should have come out that late.  But any coach would chew him out on that - you CANNOT see the open short man, look away, then come back to him. In the NFL that man will no longer be open, but in prime position to have his route jumped.

1 minute ago, Dallas94Ware said:

It will never be flashy in this offense. MM has removed all of the flash. Less motion, simpler route combinations, fewer options, easier reads, and every pass combo has a running back in easy positioning for a simple dump off.

No more is there three routes all going 10 to 20 yards up field with a runner in the back field to help block and buy time. No more split crossers (where a receiver from each side of the field crosses to the entire other side). All of these things take time to develop, and force Dak to wait or buy time, and make several reads at once. 

McCarthy ensures the route combos are easy, make the initial read and either throw it or drop it to the running back or TE who are both in easy distance. It's not flashy. It isn't super explosive. But it's effective and limits risk.

I keep saying this but it's true - if you master the simple stuff and become perfect at it, it's almost impossible to stop. Ask Tom and Bill.

My point was who cares as long as you're moving the ball.

1 minute ago, Rtnldave said:

Now the kid is warming up.

Duece!

Got to love the open field burst. He might not win every straight line sprinters race against most NFL running backs. But his ability to go from a stand still or light jog, straight to full speed ahead, is easily one of the tops in this league already. It's what makes him so tough to tackle...it isn't how strong or slippery he is (though he is), it's how deceiving it can be as a defender to close in on a patient runner who goes from riding the brake to 4th gear the moment he sees the angle to make the defender miss.