Week 2 GDT: Jets @ Cowboys

WizardHawk

Jets besides having a better overall D also have a better WR core.  Jets also got three interceptions from Allen. Dallas runs the ball way better than Buffalo who can be one dimensional.   The key for us is to stay balanced and ahead of the chains like we did against the Giants. Buffalo has a weak run D so  we might do better containing the run and putting them in 3rd long. Wilson is agile but also mistake prone.  
As noted by others our team speed was a huge issue for the Giants.  Will be interesting to see if we can show the same edge in speed versus the Jets. 

Edited by quiller

I'm actually relieved we don't have to play Rodgers, as he usually decimates Dallas with two minutes to go...

But I'm worried that they won't take Wilson seriously. For all of the fun poked at him last year, this is one very gifted passer. He was just more project than groomed professional when he was drafted, and it showed. But he has come a long way, and while he will still have plenty of ups and downs until his career takes the shape I think it can take, he is quite capable of avoiding the pressure and delivering a deep throw to one of his quite talented receivers.

Mix in that roulette style of raw talent at QB with a powerful OL, two very good running backs, and a hell of a defense, and the team could easily sneak a win past Dallas.

If Biadasz doesn't step up his play, it could be a painful day for Dak as well. The guard play will help, but Biadasz can't allow himself to be beat off the snap by a guy with the closing burst of someone like Quinnen Williams. He has to at least match his speed at the point of attack, even if he can't hold it.

It's not a question of this team being better than the Jets. It is. It's the matchup I don't like. The Jets are a very bad matchup for the way Dallas is built. 

A QB capable of avoiding the rush. Ground game capable of winning the game on 50 carries. A defense that can clog lanes and pass rush from the inside. A secondary that doesn't allow much space and tackles very well. All known weaknesses for Dak's style of play, the OL, and the receivers. 

Dak struggles against inside rush

OL struggles against power DLs

Pass rush is voided when it's avoided 

Linebackers are weak, someone has to tackle a runner before a 5 yard gain

Receivers are shifty and do their best work in space, Jets secondary tackles well and doesn't allow space 

....Maybe I'm being pessimistic but I think the Jets could seriously win this game.

3 minutes ago, quiller said:

Jets besides having a better overall D also have a better WR core.  Jets also got three interceptions from Allen. Dallas runs the ball way better than Buffalo who can be one dimensional.   The key for us is to stay balance and ahead of the chains like we did against the Giants.  Wilson is agile but also mistake prone.  

I would t say the Jets have better receivers. I'd take Lamb over Wilson right now, Lamb is more polished.

Lazard over Cooks? No way. Cooks had 1000 yard seasons catch passes from freaking Davis Mills.

Cobb has only ever played well running the slot for Rodgers.

And I think Dallas has the better Defensive unit if not based on talent alone, then at the very least by scheme. Saleh is very old fashioned, rush four and play coverage. Don't get beat. While DQ disguises looks, rushes 3, rushes 5, blitzed from the slot, works safeties down low..it's more to digest as a QB.

Problem I see is the matchups. Dak always plays bad against teams that rush well from the inside. Jets do that. Lamb always has quieter games against physical DBs that tackle. Jets have that. OL tends to struggle against strong, power rush style DLs. Jets have that..our secondary struggles against short passing game. Jets utilize that. 

Our biggest asset is the pass rush. And Wilson is quite capable of escaping it and surprisingly more accurate down field while on the move than he is from the pocket. Jets can run the ball very well. Dallas doesn't stop the run very well.

Bad, bad match up for Dallas. 

I still think Dallas wins, 24-20 something like that. I just won't be surprised if the 24-20 is in favor of New York, either.

2 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

I would t say the Jets have better receivers. I'd take Lamb over Wilson right now, Lamb is more polished.

Lazard over Cooks? No way. Cooks had 1000 yard seasons catch passes from freaking Davis Mills.

Cobb has only ever played well running the slot for Rodgers.

And I think Dallas has the better Defensive unit if not based on talent alone, then at the very least by scheme. Saleh is very old fashioned, rush four and play coverage. Don't get beat. While DQ disguises looks, rushes 3, rushes 5, blitzed from the slot, works safeties down low..it's more to digest as a QB.

Problem I see is the matchups. Dak always plays bad against teams that rush well from the inside. Jets do that. Lamb always has quieter games against physical DBs that tackle. Jets have that. OL tends to struggle against strong, power rush style DLs. Jets have that..our secondary struggles against short passing game. Jets utilize that. 

Our biggest asset is the pass rush. And Wilson is quite capable of escaping it and surprisingly more accurate down field while on the move than he is from the pocket. Jets can run the ball very well. Dallas doesn't stop the run very well.

Bad, bad match up for Dallas. 

I still think Dallas wins, 24-20 something like that. I just won't be surprised if the 24-20 is in favor of New York, either.

Oh sorry meant WR better then giants

some if that short game can be contained if Bell and Thomas play like they did last week   I also worry about pressure up front. Hope Smith is back that will help stabilize a bit.   Can we also use Pollards soles to get to the edge faster.   We shall also see if we do roll outs to relieve inside pressure. 

Jets have a lot of young talent as mentioned and have it in keys spot that could give cowboys trouble. 

Wilson has the talent and talent around him to do damage. It’ll just be a matter of how patient and calm he can remain. Jets are gonna want to run, run and run some more to alleviate this pass rush. And maybe some play action bootlegs to do the same. But Wilson is gonna have to pick his spots as this secondary can really play the ball well and create turnovers on mistakes. Also he’s gonna want to utilize a lot of quick throws on slants, screens, etc to slow down this pass rush and take advantage of a secondary that has been known to play back and soft at times. The question will be can this inexperienced guy stay patient with this 4- 7 yard consistent gains or will he try to make the big throws that require more time to develop and will play into the cowboys hands?  

on offense interior line is gonna have another week they play a young powerhouse lineman in Williams ( after facing Lawrence). I’m confident in Martin in that matchup, but biadasz needs to step up ( like others have said). I’d love to see us come out and set tone early by giving them a heavy dose of the run. Really get our lineman on the attack and going early. then maybe countering off that with some play action stuff to our tightends who did everything but catch the ball last week. I think this week with better conditions ( hopefully) they are gonna have a huge day and be X factors in this game for us. 

i say we take this game 27- 17. With our d forcing couple turnovers and tightends scoring twice. 

8 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Feels like this is week 1 for the offense because we didn’t really get to see them last week. 

We got to see them, briefly lol

Enough for me to make a few observations on this "Texas Coast" or Texas toast or whatever you wanna call it 

Simplicity is great if you are masters of it. If you can be perfect at the simple stuff, you are one of the toughest offenses to get off the field - ask Tom and Bill.

And this offense is so dry and simplified now, from the little we saw.

That could be huge for Dak.

But it could also be a tremendous problem for the offense. I don't see this offense as masters of anything, let alone the simple stuff. And to make the simple work, you need to be perfect at it. Masters of it. Do it in your sleep, or while on the toilet bowl, that kind of mastery. 

Hopefully it helps. I wanted simple, I got simple...and now I may regret wishing for it