• 2024 Draft Prospects •

WizardHawk

Here is my prediction. 

Dallas has cut or let walk 8 players.

They signed 1.

They did not extend Prescott.

All of this points to the following.

Let Prescott play out his contract, let McCarthy coach 1 more year. Finish with a losing record 5-12.

Get a top 10 pick in 24-25 draft.

Receive 3 to 4 comp picks for 25-26 season.

Rebuild.

They may actually do that with this draft. Selecting trenches: Oline, D line often in this draft could tell the story.

I just don't see any way that they can make up all of the talent they let go. They couldn't get out of round 1 in the playoffs last year WITH all of those players. They don't have the draft picks to fill the holes.

What other road do you see here?

12 hours ago, Rtnldave said:

Here is my prediction. 

They signed 1.

Let Prescott play out his contract, let McCarthy coach 1 more year. Finish with a losing record 5-12.

Rebuild.

They may actually do that with this draft. Selecting trenches: Oline, D line often in this draft could tell the story.

I just don't see any way that they can make up all of the talent they let go. They couldn't get out of round 1 in the playoffs last year WITH all of those players. They don't have the draft picks to fill the holes.

That's why I keep pointing out the flawed logic of the Dak supporters. He's proven incapable of winning with the talent we currently have, so I fail to see how he and the team can be more successful with less talent due to a massive extension for him soaking up a huge chunk of the cap. You don't give B level QBs A+ level money.

13 hours ago, Rtnldave said:

Here is my prediction. 

They signed 1.

Rebuild.

So the Cowboys are gonna finish 5-12 this season ??? …. Boy, where is the line to place bets on this 🤔 

3 hours ago, PincheJimmy said:

So the Cowboys are gonna finish 5-12 this season ??? …. Boy, where is the line to place bets on this 🤔 

Missing 2 starting Olinemen, starting RB, #3 WR, 2 DT, 2 edge rushers, our DC.

What did we get. A washed up 30 year old LB.

We won the East last year by the grace of God and A full on collapse of Philly.

Speaking of which, they got wayyy stronger in FA, have twice the amount of picks we do in the upcoming draft and they are higher picks than ours.

Wash has our DC, half of our defense and they have higher draft picks than us.

They've got to play 7 teams that were in the playoffs last year.

Now, refresh my memory, with only 2 starting Olinemen out last year we got curbstompped by Ariz! They didn't win another game for 2 months after beating us.

So, how are we going to compete with all of the other losses we endured so far this offseason?

Look, 1 FA signing, 8 walking. This equates to comp picks for NEXT year. No Dak extension. What do you suppose that means? No money under the cap, this year.

All if this, sounds to me, like whatever happens this year is going to happen ie: 1989.

The following year we will be primed to make big moves for the next 3 to 5 years.

This current team hasn't won ****. No reason to think that improves with less talent.

4 hours ago, Rtnldave said:

We won the East last year by the grace of God and A full on collapse of Philly.

Speaking of which, they got wayyy stronger in FA, have twice the amount of picks we do in the upcoming draft and they are higher picks than ours.

Wash has our DC, half of our defense and they have higher draft picks than us.

They've got to play 7 teams that were in the playoffs last year.

Now, refresh my memory, with only 2 starting Olinemen out last year we got curbstompped by Ariz! They didn't win another game for 2 months after beating us.

So, how are we going to compete with all of the other losses we endured so far this offseason?

Look, 1 FA signing, 8 walking. This equates to comp picks for NEXT year. No Dak extension. What do you suppose that means? No money under the cap, this year.

All if this, sounds to me, like whatever happens this year is going to happen ie: 1989.

The following year we will be primed to make big moves for the next 3 to 5 years.

This current team hasn't won ****. No reason to think that improves with less talent.

🤷‍♂️…. All I’m saying the only was they lose 12 games  is if they lose Dak for the season. He plays all season , this is easily a 10 win  ball club. 

Edited by PincheJimmy

19 hours ago, Rtnldave said:

Last year, this list would’ve included Connor Williams and Dalton Schultz. Most of the guys you are stressed about are JAGs, and this is mostly healthy roster turnover with replacement candidates already in house. LT is the only big one, and even there you have a good break-glass-in-case-of-emergency in Tyler Smith. Plenty of opportunities still to add talent, between draft, trades, and cuts.

Anyone out there keeping good track of the 30 visits? Here’s what I’m able to gather, let me know if I missed someone:

OT Troy Fautanu

OT Kingsley Suamataia 

OT Brandon Coleman 

OT Travis Glover 

LB Payton Wilson 

LB Jordan Magee 

LB Trevon Wallace

LB Nathaniel Watson

LB Edgerrin Cooper

RB Jonathan Brooks

RB Rasheed Ali

WR Malachi Corley

To me, this screams “first round trade back”. Draft an OL late in the round, followed by LB and RB on day 2.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Anyone out there keeping good track of the 30 visits? Here’s what I’m able to gather, let me know if I missed someone:

OT Troy Fautanu

OT Kingsley Suamataia 

OT Brandon Coleman 

OT Travis Glover 

LB Payton Wilson 

LB Jordan Magee 

LB Trevon Wallace

LB Nathaniel Watson

LB Edgerrin Cooper

RB Jonathan Brooks

RB Rasheed Ali

WR Malachi Corley

To me, this screams “first round trade back”. Draft an OL late in the round, followed by LB and RB on day 2.

Name escapes me. But, was a RB from TCU, I believe. Bailey maybe? Don’t remember if it was a 30 or Dallas day visit. I assume Dallas days which I believe was yesterday.

Pretty good article here with names Dallas has been in contact with. 

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/draft-blog-2024

Edited by WizardHawk

Updated Cowboys 30 visits

Offense

RB Jonathon Brooks
RB Rasheen Ali
RB Bucky Irving
RB Trey Benson
WR Malachi Corley
OT Matthew Goncalves
OT Travis Glover
OT Brandon Coleman
OT Taliese Fuaga
OT Troy Fautanu
C Jackson Powers-Johnson
IOL Graham Barton

Defense

LB Edgerrin Cooper
LB Payton Wilson 
LB Jordan Magee
LB Trevin Wallace
LB Nathaniel Watson

https://x.com/outlawcowboynfl/status/1775218687001129428?s=46&t=ktd6JTByZwOAf6VhdnN4wg

7 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Last year, this list would’ve included Connor Williams and Dalton Schultz. Most of the guys you are stressed about are JAGs, and this is mostly healthy roster turnover with replacement candidates already in house. LT is the only big one, and even there you have a good break-glass-in-case-of-emergency in Tyler Smith. Plenty of opportunities still to add talent, between draft, trades, and cuts.

Unless you hit on your top 3 picks as plug and play guys this year, this team will see a significant drop in production on both lines.

As for our running game, who is our guy?

16 hours ago, Rtnldave said:

Unless you hit on your top 3 picks as plug and play guys this year, this team will see a significant drop in production on both lines.

As for our running game, who is our guy?

I don’t disagree that we are nearly certain to take a step back on the OL, and will have to make up for it in other areas. We were likely to have that as a problem no matter what, because even a re-signing of Tyron would have likely just resulted in a lot of missed playing time.

Defensive line I do not share your concern at all. The guys we lost are the definitions of JAGs. The solution was not to overspend to keep those guys from leaving. The solution is to trust the guys you already invested in… Mazi, Sam Williams, Fehoko, Golston, etc.

As for runningback… I’m guessing you’ll see them draft someone this month.

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz

30 minutes ago, textaz03 said:

The #Cowboys are hosting several local, talented draft prospects today, getting visits from #Texas RB Jonathan Brooks, TE Ja’Tavion Sanders, and DT Byron Murphy, source said

https://x.com/rapsheet/status/1775555073914908686?s=46&t=ktd6JTByZwOAf6VhdnN4wg

They host players from the state of Texas every year. This isn't anything new.

On 3/31/2024 at 9:25 PM, Rtnldave said:

Here is my prediction. 

They signed 1.

Rebuild.

I hate to say rebuild. Because they don't need to rebuild! The team is talented and has a very strong group of young players that other teams wish they had picked.

What is likely on the horizon given this situation as it is, is Dallas on the verge of a transition period. An overpaid QB, an overachieving yet somehow also overachieving HC, it's just time to do or die for them. Sink or swim. And if they sink, it is set up perfectly to transition to the new leadership of the team. A new HC, a new QB, and a new direction.

But not a rebuild. You don't rebuild a 12 win team after 3 straight 13 win seasons. You simply do all you can to transition it to new leadership while retaining the key points that won you 12 games for 3 straight seasons.

Further, outside of a total collapse from Dak or some weird situation where the coaches plug in Lance or Rush and bench Dak from week 1, or trade him, or he gets hurt,  there is little chance this team has such a year in which they obtain a top 10 pick. The team itself is just too good. Even with Rush I could see them winning 8 to 10 games.

What I personally think the idea is, is much simpler. Shadeur Sanders and his dad Deion are set to move to the NFL next year. Deion has said he would "Eli" his son Shadeur to make sure he goes where Deion wants him to. He's maintained a great relationship with Jerry and loves the city of Dallas.

It's not unfathomable to think this is set up so that when Dak's contract is up, McCarthys is also, and Zimmer only got a 1 year deal, that Jerry forks over a butt ton of money to bring Deion here. Tags Dak, trades him and a first round pick or multiple first round picks, to go get Shadeur. And transition this very good team to a new leadership under Deion, quarterbaced by Shadeur, who gets the added benefit of competing with a similar styled talent in Lance or even sit on the bench and develop while Lance plays.

Tons of possibilities really. Mine is just a wishful thinking. And I don't think you're wrong per se. I just think calling it a.rebuild when your team is actually very good. Is going a little too far. And expecting the team to tank itself into a top 10 pick is also unlikely, for the same reason - they are too good to lose that many games.

4 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

I hate to say rebuild. Because they don't need to rebuild! The team is talented and has a very strong group of young players that other teams wish they had picked.

What is likely on the horizon given this situation as it is, is Dallas on the verge of a transition period. An overpaid QB, an overachieving yet somehow also overachieving HC, it's just time to do or die for them. Sink or swim. And if they sink, it is set up perfectly to transition to the new leadership of the team. A new HC, a new QB, and a new direction.

But not a rebuild. You don't rebuild a 12 win team after 3 straight 13 win seasons. You simply do all you can to transition it to new leadership while retaining the key points that won you 12 games for 3 straight seasons.

Further, outside of a total collapse from Dak or some weird situation where the coaches plug in Lance or Rush and bench Dak from week 1, or trade him, or he gets hurt,  there is little chance this team has such a year in which they obtain a top 10 pick. The team itself is just too good. Even with Rush I could see them winning 8 to 10 games.

What I personally think the idea is, is much simpler. Shadeur Sanders and his dad Deion are set to move to the NFL next year. Deion has said he would "Eli" his son Shadeur to make sure he goes where Deion wants him to. He's maintained a great relationship with Jerry and loves the city of Dallas.

It's not unfathomable to think this is set up so that when Dak's contract is up, McCarthys is also, and Zimmer only got a 1 year deal, that Jerry forks over a butt ton of money to bring Deion here. Tags Dak, trades him and a first round pick or multiple first round picks, to go get Shadeur. And transition this very good team to a new leadership under Deion, quarterbaced by Shadeur, who gets the added benefit of competing with a similar styled talent in Lance or even sit on the bench and develop while Lance plays.

Tons of possibilities really. Mine is just a wishful thinking. And I don't think you're wrong per se. I just think calling it a.rebuild when your team is actually very good. Is going a little too far. And expecting the team to tank itself into a top 10 pick is also unlikely, for the same reason - they are too good to lose that many games.

But are they still really that good? You’re going into a season with all new Defensive philosophy, 2 new starters on your Offensive Line (possibly rookies at the blindside and your protection caller) new starting RB or running back by committee. All new interior DLine rotation (only 4 interior DLine members currently on roster).