GDT Week 3: Eagles(2-0) vs Bucs(2-0) - Monday Night Showdown

AZ_Eaglesfan

32 minutes ago, Danger said:

I really want to see some all 22 footage of theses last few games, are the receivers not open, or is Jalen missing that they are? His accuracy has been inconsistent too. I honestly don't think it's all on Brian Johnson, but he's definitely a step down from Steichen. I think Jalen needs more reps under BJ's playcalling or scheme or something before he's used to it, at least that's my hope.

The film I’ve seen with guys much smarter than me explaining the plays makes it seem like Jalen has been fine. I’m assuming we see the same this week but who knows

It's not all on Brian Johnson. Hurts has thrown too many bad balls and a lot of his good balls could have been even better. He's also staring down his primary read too long, and sometimes outright ignoring his 3rd and 4th options. That being said, Brian Johnson could make things easier by figuring out how to get Goedert lined up on a LB, and calling more AJ Brown slants with a little pick over the top. He's using AJ Brown as mid/deep threat like Mike Williams, when he's at his best breaking tackles on short 1 on 1 routes.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

It's not all on Brian Johnson. Hurts has thrown too many bad balls and a lot of his good balls could have been even better. He's also staring down his primary read too long, and sometimes outright ignoring his 3rd and 4th options. That being said, Brian Johnson could make things easier by figuring out how to get Goedert lined up on a LB, and calling more AJ Brown slants with a little pick over the top. He's using AJ Brown as mid/deep threat like Mike Williams, when he's at his best breaking tackles on short 1 on 1 routes.

The eagles could also run more passing concepts other than Dagger. I would rather us go to the AJ /Smitty quick game than these long developing route concepts. Go quick game and then put out some double moves. The quick game looked better in the second half. First half was just free for all passing wise. Staff has to do a better job utilizing motion when we aren’t going tempo. There’s zero reason to not use motion when we are not trying to go fast. Force defenses to adjust quickly on the fly

Also, we had a few nice conversions to Goedert in HOT situations vs TB’s blitz.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Daimonas said:

offensive growing pains aside. Desai is so far seeming like a fantastic pickup

One replacement Coordinator has hit the ground running with almost a seamless transition the other struggling. 

What is different this time around is at least the one struggling (unlike Gannon year 1) is adapting and whatever is working (running game) is sticking with it to win. Regardless of the critics and what most want to see, airing it out big chunk plays.

That's encouraging. Just win. The rest will follow. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

Sure, it may be partly on Brian Johnson, but for me, Hurts is showing many 2021 tendencies.

Staring down primary read, late seeing the defense and getting the ball out late, evading the pocket from phantom pressure, leaving the pocket into pressure.

I think there's definitely some of both.

Brian Johnson isn't as good as Steichen, but Jalen probably needs some time to adjust to the differences between Steichen and BJ. He probably worked really hard on whatever Steichen was keyed in on, and Brian Johnson probably does things a bit differently and Jalen isn't quite tuned in, things are a bit slower for him because it's not ingrained in him just yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CasperX22 said:

I'm just glad to be 3-0.  The Eagles don't need to be at their best in September and can work out some of the issues in the coming week.  It wouldn't hurt for Brian Johnson to get Hurts some quick easy reads to kind of get his confidence going next week.

We are 3-0 against teams with a combined 3-6 record.  The schedule is going to get tougher, we have a stretch coming over 8 weeks that we play the Dolphins, Chiefs, 9ers, Bills, Cowboys twice and in Seattle.  

They better get some ish straightened out real fast.

5 hours ago, downundermike said:

Sure, it may be partly on Brian Johnson, but for me, Hurts is showing many 2021 tendencies.

Staring down primary read, late seeing the defense and getting the ball out late, evading the pocket from phantom pressure, leaving the pocket into pressure.

What's changed from 2022? 

Not the players

Not the QB

The OC who was calling plays? YES!

I get the concern but to me this is exactly what we were "ALL" worried about post losing 2 different  Coordinators. 

Now 3 weeks in, despite being 3-0 we are worried Hurts has regressed? Despite 10 of the 11 same starters? Makes no sense to me, sorry!

There's a reason, a natural exceptable reason.  No Steichen! Honestly this should be expected by the masses? 🤔

Unless You All are saying it's was All Hurts, and Shane had absolutely nothing to do with making a SB?

Edited by Nabbs4u

4 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

What's changed from 2022? 

Not the players

Not the QB

The OC who was calling plays? YES!

I get the concern but to me this is exactly what we were "ALL" worried about post losing 2 different  Coordinators. 

Now 3 weeks in, despite being 3-0 we are worried Hurts has regressed? Despite 10 of the 11 same starters? Makes no sense to me, sorry!

There's a reason, a natural exceptable reason.  No Steichen! Honestly this should be expected by tge masses? 🤔

Unless You All are saying it's was All Hurts, and Shane had absolutely nothing to do with making a SB?

I can see some of the issues being on a change at OC, but being late on deep balls, bailing the pocket when you feel phantom pressure, these are QB issues.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, downundermike said:

I can see some of the issues being on a change at OC, but being late on deep balls, bailing the pocket when you feel phantom pressure, these are QB issues.

You honestly don't think the play calling, whether it's time consuming to unfold or not. Might not be playing a factor?

Where are the quick slant strikes to AJ/Smitty and Goedert? Why is everything a 3-5 step drop, with multiple reads before throwing? "We Want Chunk Plays"?

If you don't see the difference from last year to what's been called the first 3 weeks....🍺

Playcalling has been "Average" at best and that's generous. 

Edited by Nabbs4u

3 hours ago, downundermike said:

to be fair, jalen bailing on clean pockets to scramble/look for a bigger play is probably something that will never change. he's done it every year he's been in the league. It's just part of his game whether we like it or not.