Week-To-Week Random Tidbits

D82

2 hours ago, PincheJimmy said:

Seems people only point out the bad picks 🤷‍♂️…. Bland is amazing, what was he drafted ? 4th or 5th ?? 

5thin 2022. Along with Damon Clark. And then Markquese Bell as a UDFA.

What massive hits—our back seven would be struggling hard right now without that trio.

But you gotta be honest with the evals. While 2022 is already a clear massive success, 2023 has looked really shaky from day 1. 

2 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

5thin 2022. Along with Damon Clark. And then Markquese Bell as a UDFA.

What massive hits—our back seven would be struggling hard right now without that trio.

But you gotta be honest with the evals. While 2022 is already a clear massive success, 2023 has looked really shaky from day 1. 

Mazi is making progress. Schoon looks like a WTF pick especially with Ferguson shining. Overshown is on IR and Fehoko hasn't seen any playing time that I can recall. Richards may have some potential. I don't think Eric Scott has done anything. Deuce has been...well, he's at least seen playing time. Same goes for Brooks.

So yeah. Kind of a meh class so far. 

Sooo… This is why the Cowboys haven’t replaced Tyron Smith despite the Cowboys fan’s blistering thumbs to call for a new LT every offseason.

When he’s healthy, he’s not just good. ..He’s one of the best to ever do it. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cowboys-o-linemen-tyron-smith-tyler-smith-lock-down-left-side-qb-dak-prescott-spoiled-with-their-play/amp/

FRISCO, Texas --  It's impossible for any offense in football to move up and down the field without a competent offensive line, and that's certainly the case for the Dallas Cowboys and their top 10 scoring offense (22.9 offensive points per game, ninth-best in the NFL). Their offensive front has a 71.5 run-blocking grade from Pro Football Focus, the fifth-highest in the NFL entering Week 10, and their 32.5% quarterback pressure rate allowed is the eighth-best in the NFL in Week 10. 

Much of that success in pass-protection can be attributed to the left side of their line where the law firm of Smith and Smith, eight-time Pro Bowl left tackle Tyron Smith (32 years old) and 2022 first-round pick left guard Tyler Smith (22 years old), hold court. Tyron Smith's 80.4 PFF grade ranks as the eighth-highest in the entire NFL entering Week 10, and he's coming off a throwback game in which he had 53 pass-blocking snaps where he did not allow a single quarterback pressure against the defending NFC champion Philadelphia Eagles vaunted front in a narrow 28-23 road loss in Week 9

"That's the Tyron Smith I remember," Cowboys head coach Mike McCarthy said Monday. "That's the best game I've seen Tyron play since I've been here in my time here in Dallas. I thought the left side as a whole [Tyron Smith and Tyler Smith] was the best game that they played. Tyron and Tyler graded out really well."

"[Tyron] Played unbelievable," Cowboys offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer said Monday. "I really thought the whole left side played awesome. … I thought Tyron looked very comfortable. He was really square with his sets, his punches were great. Anytime it's a quiet day that you don't even notice, you know he has played his *** off, which he certainly did."

Surprised by his play? That's Tyron Smith," Prescott said Thursday when asked about Smith's 2023 revival and overcoming his recent injury woes. "One of the best tackles to play this game. Obviously, yeah it sucks when he's had his injuries and little nags that have held him out, but when he's out there, there is nobody better. When he gets his hands on you, it's over with. Been one of the best for a long time before I ever got started playing in this [league]. Throughout my career, when he's available, you don't have to worry about that side of the ball. Thankful for him. It's about keeping him healthy. ... I'm spoiled in that sense. ... When you have a guy who has been one of the best, if not the best, as his position for over 10 years now." 

qUxbtd2.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

The issue with Tyron is that you essentially need 2 starting capable LTs.  Oddly enough, we kinda have that right now.  But, you’ve got to assume he’s going to miss half the year every year.  But, no doubt, he’s a hof worthy LT when healthy.  

Exactly, and you never know which games he is going to miss. Will he miss a crucial game thats a win and you’re in kind of deal? What if he misses actual playoff games?

When he is available, he is a beast. But he is unreliable to stay of the field.