The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Agree with everything you said.  It's technically not a "trait", but I think where Maye really excels is in his intermediate passes to the middle of the field, often in tight coverage.  And this translates much better to the NFL than the sideline deep shots where Daniels and (to a certain extent) Caleb have separated themselves. 

When it comes to fit, it's one of the things I'm most wary about in a Kingsbury offense - are we going to properly utilize Maye's ability (if he's the pick) to throw dime after dime to the middle of the field?  Kingsbury, and the Air Raid in general, is known for its 4-verts / bubble screen concepts.  During his time in Arizona, he didn't attack the intermediate middle of the field area as often as I would like to see; maybe Kyler's height and lack of field vision in the pocket compounded that issue though.

If we draft Maye, I really want us to marry the playbook to his best traits / abilities.  I'd consider it a massive failure if we don't.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-drake-maye-top-pick-2024-nfl-draft

https://www.nfl.com/news/cynthia-frelund-2024-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-bears-pass-on-qb-commanders-land-caleb-williams

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2024-nfl-draft-north-carolina-qb-drake-mayes-scouting-report#:~:text=Maye has that velocity that,the ball into tight windows.&text=He's shown an elite ability,with at least 50 attempts.

https://x.com/aaronblakelail/status/1738415668939145336?s=46&t=6HL-uBrK4qbGh3V530lFEg

11 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

You draft him, don’t need Samuel

I 100% agree but, if drafted he’s likely to be Dotson’s back up in the slot. I’m thinking they sign a bigger WR2 to be on the outside opposite Terry

8 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I 100% agree but, if drafted he’s likely to be Dotson’s back up in the slot. I’m thinking they sign a bigger WR2 to be on the outside opposite Terry

I like this guy from Georgia 

6’2” 200lbs  Maybe day 3 rd 4-5

Edited by ARTMONK HOF

21 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I like this guy from Georgia 

6’2” 200lbs  Maybe day 3 rd 4-5

I like it, I do have a hard time seeing us draft a bunch of WRs though when we have much larger holes at OL, DE, LB & CB.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I will say though that San Fran passed on Trubisky, Mahomes & Watson too in 2017 for Solomon Thomas & they’re in the Super Bowl for the 2nd time in 5 years and they also had an NFCCG game appearance they lost to the Rams 2 years ago.

The 49ers also passed on taking a QB in 2019 & took Bosa, which turned out to be the right choice bc the only 1st round QB who’s proven to be worth a 1st round pick on Kyler Murray in that draft.

Working backwards, I think the Niners still thought they had a guy in Jimmy G back in 2019. Not quite the same situation we’re in, and the 2019 QB prospects behind Kyler (Jones, Haskins) certainly don’t measure up to the 2024 duo behind Caleb in terms of prospect stature. 

That said, the Niners are always going to be the rebuttal to the claim that you need a high-end QB talent to be a big winner. Because it’s very true, they are one of the league’s truly elite teams despite a QB who is more “plucky overachiever” than “blue chip stud.”

My response is that you have to look at how many things have had to fall into place for the Niners to become this team with Purdy.

They have arguably the best offensive mind in the league running the show. They have a HOF LT, who they acquired for pennies because he got cancer and then got mad and started boycotting his team. They have an All-Pro TE who they found in the 5th round. They have two of the most physical WRs in the league on the outside. They have an MVP caliber all-purpose back who just won OPOY and who they got for a few mid-round picks. And just for good measure, they have an All-Pro (8x Pro Bowl) FB, as well.

So yes, the Niners do stand as proof that if you can get all of that to fall into place — elite offensive coach (as the HC, so he doesn’t leave), elite RB, elite FB, elite TE, elite LT,  and elite WR tandem — you can have an elite offense, even with a relatively pedestrian talent at QB.

Add in an elite defense (top 3 in points allowed) with a back 7 that contains zero players you drafted before the 3rd round. And then toss in the biggest miracle of all — that Purdy is actually pretty good — and you’re really cooking then.

That’s a lot that has to break your way in order to make that work. It can be done, but I think there’s a much higher likelihood of hitting on a star QB with the #2 pick than of pulling off everything the Niners have pulled off to get to where they are today.

• Like 2

That scramble rate of 9.4% by Jayden Daniels is extremely alarming where there is no pressure. He clearly looks to run instead of scanning the field for 2nd & 3rd option even when he had the time. That won’t fly in the NFL.

8 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

That scramble rate of 9.4% by Jayden Daniels is extremely alarming where there is no pressure. He clearly looks to run instead of scanning the field for 2nd & 3rd option even when he had the time. That won’t fly in the NFL.

I mean Maye isn’t that much better on that list …

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

Working backwards, I think the Niners still thought they had a guy in Jimmy G back in 2019. Not quite the same situation we’re in, and the 2019 QB prospects behind Kyler (Jones, Haskins) certainly don’t measure up to the 2024 duo behind Caleb in terms of prospect stature. 

That said, the Niners are always going to be the rebuttal to the claim that you need a high-end QB talent to be a big winner. Because it’s very true, they are one of the league’s truly elite teams despite a QB who is more “plucky overachiever” than “blue chip stud.”

My response is that you have to look at how many things have had to fall into place for the Niners to become this team with Purdy.

They have arguably the best offensive mind in the league running the show. They have a HOF LT, who they acquired for pennies because he got cancer and then got mad and started boycotting his team. They have an All-Pro TE who they found in the 5th round. They have two of the most physical WRs in the league on the outside. They have an MVP caliber all-purpose back who just won OPOY and who they got for a few mid-round picks. And just for good measure, they have an All-Pro (8x Pro Bowl) FB, as well.

So yes, the Niners do stand as proof that if you can get all of that to fall into place — elite offensive coach (as the HC, so he doesn’t leave), elite RB, elite FB, elite TE, elite LT,  and elite WR tandem — you can have an elite offense, even with a relatively pedestrian talent at QB.

Add in an elite defense (top 3 in points allowed) with a back 7 that contains zero players you drafted before the 3rd round. And then toss in the biggest miracle of all — that Purdy is actually pretty good — and you’re really cooking then.

That’s a lot that has to break your way in order to make that work. It can be done, but I think there’s a much higher likelihood of hitting on a star QB with the #2 pick than of pulling off everything the Niners have pulled off to get to where they are today.

100% agree, it just occurred to me as I was writing a response actually agreeing with you that I realized the 49ers took a DE twice with two top 5 picks but it worked out for them regardless for so much other stuff working out as you said in your post.

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

I mean Maye isn’t that much better on that list …

True but I think in Maye’s case he was playing on an offense with far less talent on it, especially at WR. Jayden Daniels had the 2nd best WR prospect in this draft on his team and LSU’s #2 WR will probably go in round 2.

Edited by turtle28

18 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

True but I think in Maye’s case he was playing on an offense with far less talent on it, especially at WR. Jayden Daniels had the 2nd best WR prospect in this draft on his team and LSU’s #2 WR will probably go in round 2.

Yes. But also don’t knock Mayes WR (who might sneak into the first himself)

7 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

That could happen with a trade down too. So as much work as they are doing on QBs, they could do that on tackles and walk away with Evan Neal, or EDGEs and walk away with Chase Young, or WRs and walk away with Justin Blackmon.

100%. I won't dispute this at all. Its not so much the potential to bust I am talking/worried about when I say they have to get it right. I am saying that all of the boxes have to be checked with their "first pick of the new regime." IMO, the player must  be an instant contributor or ready to contribute immediately, a team first individual and the model player for the "type of football" this regime wants to play.

8 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

All in all, if at the end of the day, Adam Peters came out and said "We took MHJ Jr because he was the best on our board and we believe in Howell" or "we traded down because of the incredible value we got because we didn't like the QBs" I'll respect it. I will disagree with it vehemently and surely ocmplain about it, but he's smarter and better at this than I am.

This is also a really fair take. I think we all are armchair quarterbacking this, but at the end of the day we all just want them to "get it right." If this team drafts and gets the results from another Emmanuel Forbes this year, confidence in the team and direction will probably reach Ron Rivera levels pretty quickly. We all want this pick to be the next Art Monk, Darrell Green, Charles Taylor, Ryan Kerrigan, Trent Williams, Chris Samuels, Sean Taylor, etc. I don't expect them to be able to just pick the next big thing, but that has to be the target goal, no matter the position.

13 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Some of that is Brian Kelly’s offense. Ian Book used to do it. It’s just a no read drop back where he’s giving the illusion of a pass play to get the defense turned around because it’s usually in a man look with all verticals. I just think it’s apart of that system. He def looks to run but that is something they’ve done at ND in his time there