The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

19 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

But it’s a silly take. He was one of the top 5 best QBs in college football as a freshman. Nobody can even debate that. He loses his OC and his top receiving threat and literally has no one to throw to for the first 5 weeks of the season and then we get ridiculous takes like this one. 

They aren’t picking him at 2 to sit. He’ll start and he’ll be just fine. This whole “build up the roster so we can trade 4 first round picks when we finally need a QB take” is ridiculous. The falcons are in literal purgatory right now because of building this way. If you happen to find yourself a Brock Purdy on accident, congrats. The odds of that happening however are extremely remote. 

Well I don’t think he’s actually ready. Let’s look back at how often the traits prospect that’s healthy weight speed as they say that has a load of potential but tons of holes on tape due to inconsistencies pan out? I’d say it’s rare. Very rare

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

It’s not like I’m just doing it out of spite. I think he’s far too skinny and relies on his legs and it’s a recipe for disaster. I’ve never said he isn’t talented because he most certainly is but I feel like we’ve done down the Jayden Daniels road before and it ended in misery. 

I know I love to mess with you for fun 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Unpopular Opinion: Brock Purdy isn't a franchise QB. 

Also no trade has ever included 4 FRPs. Your insistence that the only way forward is drafting a QB at #2 and that any plan to the contrary will guarantee we suck for years to come is foolhardy. 

I forgot how many FRPs the Chiefs gave up to get Mahomes... or how many the Bills gave up for Allen. I do however know how many we gave up for RG3 and how many the 49ers gave up for Lance. 

My first response I was gonna bring up the Mahomes example but as we all know we can find examples for or against every argument we are having based on personal preference. So I just tried to keep it about Maye because while he has every tool it’s very clear. I love the kid. I just think there’s so many prospects that they are all pushing each other up when in truth we keep saying any normal year this guy would be the top. Well that could be true but that doesn’t make them better. Each prospect is who they are and that’s how it should be scouted. And tape trumps all except personal makeup.

See the thing is when you don’t have something you start making someone something they aren’t because you want someone to be something. It’s called rationalizing we as people do it everyday. I just think it’s funny. I know I’m the JJ homer but on 3rd and 4th down in the playoffs they threw the ball 27-33 times. But they’re a running team and JJ gets no credit for making the plays. The problem like anything else is media and narrative. Maye looks the part. He’s this tall, big arm, all the things that look great on paper. But tape says he ain’t ready. Who gets picked at 2 that isn’t ready? And the media talks about Williams but he literally looks like Sam how with his release time sack rate and turnover rate. Then Jayden is literally a little bit more advanced passer RG clone. Then we have two guys who could be signing second contracts in a year. And yet the only thing they can find bad about JJ is he doesn’t throw with volume. That’s it. But we can go over a million examples of other qualities guys have who constantly bust for and we’re talking about them being the picks of the litter. On tape and with everything he had to overcome this dude is legit the most ready to handle the pro game as any prospect I’ve ever watched

I’m actually fine with sitting Maye for most of next season, if that’s what they think is best for his long-term development. I’ll be hoping to have him for the next 15 years — not really that concerned about whether he gets on the field right away in the first year.

We’re not winning anything next year with or without him, so I’m really not concerned about missing out on having him on the field. The second we draft him (or Williams or Daniels), that player’s development becomes priority #1 for the entire franchise. The only thing that really matters about his debut date is what’s best for him.

Frankly, I think it’s a little goofy to think that Maye needs to sit and Williams/Daniels/McCarthy don’t — but to each their own, I guess. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Frankly, I think it’s a little goofy to think that Maye needs to sit and Williams/Daniels/McCarthy don’t — but to each their own, I guess. 

Williams is the only one, IMO, that is starter ready. I just really don't like the personal stuff/mentality. Dude comes off as a spoiled child. Like I could see him being a Ryan Leaf type bust.

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

I know I’m the JJ homer but on 3rd and 4th down in the playoffs they threw the ball 27-33 times. But they’re a running team and JJ gets no credit for making the plays.

In the championship game, JJ was 2/6 for 9 yards and 0 first downs on 3rd and 4th down. 

In the semifinal, he was 6/11 for 99 yards and 3 first downs on 3rd and 4th down. One of those was the 38 yard TD to Tyler Morris where JJ threw a shallow crosser 5 yards short of the sticks and Morris ran away from the LB covering him. Another was the 27 yard catch and run to Corum on 4th and 2, totally uncovered, it was about a 1.5 yard throw to a guy who had very literally no one within 10+ yards of him. That’s just about 2/3 of his 3rd and 4th down production, on a combined total of 7 air yards for JJ.

In total, we’re talking about 17 throws in the playoff by JJ on 3rd and 4th down — and Michigan got 3 first downs out of them. That’s not great. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Williams is the only one, IMO, that is starter ready. I just really don't like the personal stuff/mentality. Dude comes off as a spoiled child. Like I could see him being a Ryan Leaf type bust.

And as far as I’m concerned, the only reason Caleb is “ready” is because he’s so incredibly talented.

He’s only ever played in Lincoln Riley’s offense — love it or hate it — and so many of his best plays were backyard brilliance, totally out of structure. He “created” more pressure on himself than any QB in NCAA, and he’s never really done a lot of the “pro mindset” things like take the checkdown and live to see another day. 

I think you could start any of these guys from Day One, and they’d likely turn out okay. They’re all very good athletes (except busted-leg Penix, I guess) and they have enough arm and experience (2+ years as the lowest) to be competitive as rookies. I don’t think any of them would be totally overmatched disasters, which we’ve certainly seen happen at times.

But I’ve always thought almost all young QBs could benefit from spending some time watching and learning without being thrown into the fire, and I don’t see much among the current group of star QBs to make me change that particular tune. 

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Chris Simms

In other years, Jayden Daniels would be a clear top pick QB. 
Really excellent passer, especially with people around him. 
And absolutely elite runner

Also Chris Simms:

"ZACH WILSON IS THE BEST QUARTERBACK IN THE 2021 DRAFT."

"For my money, Wilson is the best quarterback in the draft. When I studied him, I felt like I was watching Aaron Rodgers or Patrick Mahomes-ish kind of play."

That being said - I am coming around on Daniels as the #2 pick. Not completely sold on him (or Maye for that matter), but I think he will be our pick.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, e16bball said:

And as far as I’m concerned, the only reason Caleb is “ready” is because he’s so incredibly talented.

He’s only ever played in Lincoln Riley’s offense — love it or hate it — and so many of his best plays were backyard brilliance, totally out of structure. He “created” more pressure on himself than any QB in NCAA, and he’s never really done a lot of the “pro mindset” things like take the checkdown and live to see another day. 

I think you could start any of these guys from Day One, and they’d likely turn out okay. They’re all very good athletes (except busted-leg Penix, I guess) and they have enough arm and experience (2+ years as the lowest) to be competitive as rookies. I don’t think any of them would be totally overmatched disasters, which we’ve certainly seen happen at times.

But I’ve always thought almost all young QBs could benefit from spending some time watching and learning without being thrown into the fire, and I don’t see much among the current group of star QBs to make me change that particular tune. 

YASSSSS!!!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Couldn't agree more with the bolded.

I hesitate however to call these prospects, star QBs. Lets not put the cart before the horse as not a single one has played a down in the NFL.

• Like 1

Next Pro Scouting 

Scouting Report for Malik Washington, WR Virginia

Overview: Malik Washington, a wide receiver from Virginia, is a dynamic playmaker with deep-threat speed (4.47). Great run after-catch ability. 

Receiving Ability: Washington's deep threat capability stands out and showcases his ability to stretch the field and make significant plays downfield. His speed, route-running ability, and ball skills make him a challenging matchup for defenders.

Blocking:  Washington demonstrates a willingness and capability to engage in the physical aspect of the game. His blocking skills contribute to his overall value as a wide receiver, particularly in run support.

Athleticism: Washington's physical attributes make him a formidable presence on the field. His athleticism allows him to compete for jump balls and make plays in traffic. 10'6" Broad Jump at the combine. 

Intangibles: Washington's development at Virginia has prepared him well for the next level, where his adaptability and skill set will be a significant advantage. His performance against top competition showcases his ability to excel in various offensive roles.

Player Comparison: Rondale Moore

Bottom Line: Malik Washington is a promising wide receiver prospect from Virginia, known for his deep threat ability and blocking skills. His combination of size, speed, and athleticism make him a dynamic option in the passing game.

I like him a lot along with M. Corley. Would love those two guys. 

Edited by ARTMONK HOF
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Unpopular Opinion: Brock Purdy isn't a franchise QB. 

Also no trade has ever included 4 FRPs. Your insistence that the only way forward is drafting a QB at #2 and that any plan to the contrary will guarantee we suck for years to come is foolhardy. 

I forgot how many FRPs the Chiefs gave up to get Mahomes... or how many the Bills gave up for Allen. I do however know how many we gave up for RG3 and how many the 49ers gave up for Lance. 

I never said any plan to the contrary will mean we suck. Its my opinion that the quickest way for this team to become a Super Bowl contender, not just a playoff team, is to pick a QB high. However, that's just my opinion. Doesn't mean I'm correct or that if we take your path we won't be successful but I am going to argue my side of it. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Couldn't agree more with the bolded.

I hesitate however to call these prospects, star QBs. Let’s not put the cart before the horse as not a single one has played a down in the NFL.

I don’t mean these prospects — I mean the guys who are playing well in the NFL now. 

If any of us made our list of top 15 QBs in the league or so, I think a majority of them will have sat for at least 5-6 games  during their rookie season — whether by design or due to injury or whatever. 

Mahomes, Allen, Lamar, Burrow, Hurts, Tua, Love, Purdy, Cousins. Herbert didn’t sit (for long), but they wanted him to also, and Watson (who used to be good) also sat most of his rookie season with injury.

I’m not saying these guys necessarily ARE good because they sat for a while. But it certainly doesn’t seem to have hurt their development to miss out on those “live reps.” If they feel Maye (or Daniels or whomever) would be better off that way…cool.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

One thing I have to give JJ about that semifinal game, it only shows up as a 20 yard pass to Roman Wilson in the stat book, but…the play he made catching the terrible throw-back from Edwards on the trick play and then chucking it downfield to Wilson with Dallas Turner about to clobber him? 

Easily one of the most athletic things you’ll see any of these QBs pull off on any of the tape from last season.

I do just want to say for the record, I’m not a JJ hater. I have him ahead of Nix and Penix, and I don’t think it’s unreasonable to consider him around the top 10. If we were in the position that teams like LVR, DEN, and MIN are, I’d gamble on him. Honestly, I’d think long and hard about it if I was NYG too.

• Like 1

Here's what I'm hoping the team does in general, to load this team up with young & talented scheme fitting players over the course of 2-3 seasons.

• Round 1, Pick 2 - Trade down & pick-up a 1st RD pick & more for future seasons, without dropping out of top 10.
  • Round 2, Pick 36 - Trade down to 41, or 39 giving us back-to-back picks in 2nd Rd. Possibly adding picks "again" for future seasons, or current draft. Also landing a 1st RD prospect that dropped, with need not a priority here.
  • Round 2, Pick 40 (from CHI)  - Draft best available player here regardless of need again. Possibly land 1st RD prospect.
  • Round 3, Pick 67 - With picks 67 & 99 here in the 3rd. I would combine them to trade back up in mid-to- late 2nd Rd again for possible 1st RD talent regardless of need. Probably have more picks this draft from the trade downs in 1st & 2nd Rd.
  • Round 3, Pick 99 (from SF)* - used in trade up.
  • Round 4, Pick 101 - Draft for need
  • Round 5, Pick 138 - Draft for need
  • Round 6, Pick 178 - Draft for need
  • Round 7, Pick 222 - Draft for need (assuming we don't trade any of the day 3 picks) either way....draft for need here!  If they do anything resembling what I've shown? They'll have my attention.  Presuming we've traded down, but still in top 10 pick. I go QB, WR (MHjr), TE (BB)or O-line & that's it. I don't go Defense here at all.