The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

6 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

These guys are late round draft picks with almost no pedigree as serious pass rushers. I’m fine with giving them a chance over these next seven weeks but I am absolutely not banking on going into next season with this group. Mac Jones just got sacked like 7 times the game after ours. 

Sam Howell was a late round draft pick as well... Diamonds are found in lots of places. 

7 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Smith-Williams and Toohill are JAGs. They’re great depth but they’re not starters. I want to see more of Henry but Jones is already 25-years old and Henry will be 25 in January. Much like Mathis who is older as well. I honestly have no idea why this staff keeps drafting older rookies but it seems like something they look for? Either way, they took a strength, much like this staff did with our OL, and made it a weakness. 

I feel this way about alot of our roster. I am also of the same mind about drafting older rookies, but we have to remember these guys are on rookie deals and will most likely be on the roster when JSW, Toohill and Obada are out the door. It's to our benefit to give the young guys as much play time as possible.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Sam Howell was a late round draft pick as well... Diamonds are found in lots of places. 

I feel this way about alot of our roster. I am also of the same mind about drafting older rookies, but we have to remember these guys are on rookie deals and will most likely be on the roster when JSW, Toohill and Obada are out the door. It's to our benefit to give the young guys as much play time as possible.

Sam Howell was not a normal 5th round pick. He had no business being available at that point in the draft. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

100% against a pass rusher with top pick. It has to be O-Line/TE/LB IMO. No preference between the 3, but those are our biggest holes. I think top of the 2nd, maybe we look at pass rushing help, but it isn't our biggest need at all. I understand people's feeling about Montez and Chase, but the depth behind them is significantly better than what is starting at the other spots.

Dude our pass rush is trash now w/o Chase or Tez. We’re back to having Trent Murphy & Preston Smith as our DEs. It’s not good enough.

We need to take the BPA in a position we need and I have no problem with that being an OT, OG, LB or TE but if the BPA is a DE and if the draft falls like some of them are falling now - not likely - then around the 10th pick the BPA’s are 3 or 4 pass rushers.

48 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Sam Howell was not a normal 5th round pick. He had no business being available at that point in the draft. 

That’s right. At worst he should’ve gone in round 2 & I think both you and I had him in R1 and were going back and forth between Howell, Pickett, Matt Corral & Ridder on who we’d take with many not thinking there was a huge difference between the 4 of them. So far, I was dead wrong about Matt Corral I believed he could’ve been the best QB in the draft and that hasn’t played out at all. 🤷‍♂️

10 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Dude our pass rush is trash now w/o Chase or Tez. We’re back to having Trent Murphy & Preston Smith as our DEs. It’s not good enough.

We need to take the BPA in a position we need and I have no problem with that being an OT, OG, LB or TE but if the BPA is a DE and if the draft falls like some of them are falling now - not likely - then around the 10th pick the BPA’s are 3 or 4 pass rushers.

Again, you are going to judge these back ups for not getting home in their first two games really playing. Give them the season and then we can call it what it is. We definitely had more production with Chase and Montez and firstly, that's because their better, but also they have had years to gel with each other and years of knowledge of JDRs scheme. 

If we get to the end of the season and we have had literally no production from the DE position, I will probably change my tune on draft needs, but for now LB and O-Line are still significantly higher on my list.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Again, you are going to judge these back ups for not getting home in their first two games really playing. Give them the season and then we can call it what it is. We definitely had more production with Chase and Montez and firstly, that's because their better, but also they have had years to gel with each other and years of knowledge of JDRs scheme. 

If we get to the end of the season and we have had literally no production from the DE position, I will probably change my tune on draft needs, but for now LB and O-Line are still significantly higher on my list.

It’s about talent. It’s about their ceiling. I want a top quick twitch athlete as a pass rusher with a ceiling of being a 15 plus sack artist every year. I’d bet my pension and retiree HC benefits on that not being Henry & Andre Jones. They have all the pedigree in the world to be solid back ups and rotational guys but I’ll be shocked if either are ever double digit guys.

It‘s weird to see you post like this bc this is all a hope of yours based on nothing else than that and our former #2 pick you had no hope left for him.

10 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

It’s about talent. It’s about their ceiling. I want a top quick twitch athlete as a pass rusher with a ceiling of being a 15 plus sack artist every year. I’d bet my pension and retiree HC benefits on that not being Henry & Andre Jones. They have all the pedigree in the world to be solid back ups and rotational guys but I’ll be shocked if either are ever double digit guys.

I'm glad that you have evaluated both Henry and Jones enough to wager hard earned pension, but I am far less convinced that neither could be that. Considering we haven't had a double digit sack artist here since Ryan Kerrigan in 2018, I wouldn't be surprised if neither were double digit sack guys too. 

11 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

It‘s weird to see you post like this bc this is all a hope of yours based on nothing else than that and our former #2 pick you had no hope left for him.

I'm not sure that I could have been any clearer on my stance about Chase Young. Everyday that he was on this team I had hope for him. The level of hope was variable throughout his entire here. He had some really good moments and some really infuriating ones.

I had lost hope that Chase would ever been the generational talent that he was supposed to be, but that didn't mean I gave up on him being a decent player.

This season, I thought, and vocalized as much, he was playing himself into a LTD or at least a franchise tag. Him and Montez were on a very good trajectory. I was very surprised to see the crap value we got for him, but as always, the NFL is a business first.

Personal stuff aside, Chase Young, the football player, was not worth the medical risk for many NFL teams. It should speak volumes, that at his highest value, since his DROY season, no team wanted to give more than the last pick in the 3rd round.

As much as I dislike JDR and Rivera, this was the correct move, IMO. Due to the fact that the news wasn't even 2 hours old and the report about Washingtons feeling about him got leaked. There was clearly much more going on behind the scenes. With all that aside, he is absolutely going to command more money than he is worth. He has lots of bad tape of lazy play. @Thaiphoon has posted several videos.

The guy has all the talent in the world, but he doesn't play like he loves the sport. If I was relying on this guy week in and week out as my teammate, I would have been pissed. I really hope he does well, but for me, I'm glad that chapter is over. I'm totally disappointed in the return, but I get it from a business standpoint. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, turtle28 said:

That’s right. At worst he should’ve gone in round 2 & I think both you and I had him in R1 and were going back and forth between Howell, Pickett, Matt Corral & Ridder on who we’d take with many not thinking there was a huge difference between the 4 of them. So far, I was dead wrong about Matt Corral I believed he could’ve been the best QB in the draft and that hasn’t played out at all. 🤷‍♂️

Matt Corral was my #1 too lol. Howell 2, Pickett 3, Ridder 4, Willis 5

• Like 1

1 hour ago, THESKINSFAN21 said:

Denvers win last night puts us at pick number 10...for now

We need about 4 or 5 more losses and we should have a top 5-10 pick locked up. 6-11 would probably get the job done. The faster we get mathematically eliminated, the faster we can look to the future. 

#FireRonRivera #BlackMonday55DaysAndCounting

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I had been a Howell guy since his freshman year at UNC. I did really like Corral though. 

Yep, you definitely were. I remember it. I didn’t even know who you were talking about at first but you educated me on him & soon I was sold.

14 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

We need about 4 or 5 more losses and we should have a top 5-10 pick locked up. 6-11 would probably get the job done. The faster we get mathematically eliminated, the faster we can look to the future. 

#FireRonRivera #BlackMonday55DaysAndCounting

I sure hope that Rivera doesn’t go on his annual ‘false hope’ November win streak. If he does we’re going to end up with 8 or 9 wins this season and picking in the mid to late teens instead of the top 10.