The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

18 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I think LG is still a huge need. 

Come to think of it, depending on how the new staff views Sam Cosmi, the RG position could be more of a need long-term as well. I may want to move guard up a position or two.

*edit* forgot to note that Cosmi is in the final year of his rookie contract.

Edited by Slappy Mc

6 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Come to think of it, depending on how the new staff views Sam Cosmi, the RG position could be more of a need long-term as well. I may want to move guard up a position or two.

*edit* forgot to note that Cosmi is in the final year of his rookie contract.

sheez, do ever extend a player ? Seems not . When you have a guy signed for $3.6 mill, it's hard to up it to $6 or 7 mill ( Year 2024 )to get an extension done . Forward thinking ?

1 minute ago, RSkinGM said:

sheez, do ever extend a player ? Seems not . When you have a guy signed for $3.6 mill, it's hard to up it to $6 or 7 mill ( Year 2024 )to get an extension done . Forward thinking ?

I'm not saying I wouldn't resign him. He is in the final year of his contract and who knows what his contract demands would be and what the current staff/F.O. value him at. 

I personally think he did a pretty good job at guard even with the incompetence on both sides of him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Good point. Probably still a need, but they also probably just let the new guy and Stromberg battle it out. 

I’m still of the opinion that Stromberg is a center.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Slappy Mc said:

Considering we just signed a guy who "wants to start" to a 3 year deal, I think backup LG is a need but the position is not a high priority, IMO.

Paul is a solid backup LG and Stromberg can flex there too. I don’t see backup Guard as a need at all. The guy we just signed is basically a backup level guy too. What we need is a legitimate starter. I don’t see how LG is any different than the RT or RE positions.

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Paul is a solid backup LG and Stromberg can flex there too. I don’t see backup Guard as a need at all. The guy we just signed is basically a backup level guy too. What we need is a legitimate starter. I don’t see how LG is any different than the RT or RE positions.

For the purposes of this season, those positions are filled. The backup spot preferably goes to someone you draft with hopes of them developing into a starter. They clearly feel confident in who Allegretti is as a player to plug and play him at LG. I agree with the masses that it screams Andrew Wylie to me, but I trust this group of personnel decision makers much more than the previous one. 

I think adding a guard is a strong play in the draft. I wouldn't mind getting Zak Zinter as that guy and giving him a redshirt year. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Slappy Mc said:

I think adding a guard is a strong play in the draft. I wouldn't mind getting Zak Zinter as that guy and giving him a redshirt year. 

I definitely think guard on Day 2 is in play as well. It lines up nicely with what we've done. 

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Good point. Probably still a need, but they also probably just let the new guy and Stromberg battle it out. 

I believe Stromberg subbed in at RG not LG or am I wrong?  I do think Cosmi needs a backup.   His health is not dependable.  If Stromberg is the primary backup for Center and RG, I am pretty sure he sees some playing time.

I think Left Guard is definitely a position we need to consider in draft.  Allegretti is a bit of fools gold.  He started the superbowl and was super super tough, but he didn't win the starter position in regular season.  He can start but he isn't some sure fire 17 game a season starter.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, offbyone said:

He started the superbowl and was super super tough, but he didn't win the starter position in regular season.  He can start but he isn't some sure fire 17 game a season starter.

Having All-Pro Joe Thuney in front of you makes it kind of hard to "win" the starting job, IMO. 

I think Allegretti will fair better than Wylie did and somehow Wylie seems to be coming back for a second season. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Slappy Mc said:

Having All-Pro Joe Thuney in front of you makes it kind of hard to "win" the starting job, IMO. 

I think Allegretti will fair better than Wylie did and somehow Wylie seems to be coming back for a second season. 

Good point.  Although, if Wylie is our bar, it is kind of low.

1 minute ago, offbyone said:

Good point.  Although, if Wylie is our bar, it is kind of low.

We have a lot of low bars on the roster, but that is starting to change. 

All signs are trending up for this franchise. It's a good time to be a fan. 

You guys figure we pick a W R in this draft, maybe as high as round 3 ? We don't much there past Terry and Dotson ( and he hasn't been all that much ) Is there anyone out there in F A might be a fit ?

Just now, RSkinGM said:

You guys figure we pick a W R in this draft, maybe as high as round 3 ? We don't much there past Terry and Dotson ( and he hasn't been all that much ) Is there anyone out there in F A might be a fit ?

I wouldn't be surprised if we took a WR in round 2

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

I think its in play immediately with our top 2nd round pick and beyond. 

• Like 1