The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

Bowers and Mims both back for Georgia this week. Bowers doing some Bowers things.

Mims only plays about half the snaps, he’s #65 lining up at RT. The crazy thing about him is that he genuinely looks a good bit out of shape, and he still wins pretty much every rep. He just looked a little heavy-footed, both in his kick-step and when he’s moving on the perimeter — wouldn’t be shocked if he’s carrying an extra 15-20 pounds or so compared to where they’d usually want him in mid-November. But he might just be getting his legs back under him after being out for so long.

There’s definite Dawand Jones vibes with him, in terms of the size and the length and the vice grip. He moves better though, and there is genuine All-Pro upside there I think.

Also, the injury history is bad and I don’t know how he’ll run, but I’d put down a pretty good penny on Ladd McConkey being a productive receiver in the league. I’ve loved him for a couple years now.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, e16bball said:

Bowers and Mims both back for Georgia this week. Bowers doing some Bowers things.

Mims only plays about half the snaps, he’s #65 lining up at RT. The crazy thing about him is that he genuinely looks a good bit out of shape, and he still wins pretty much every rep. He just looked a little heavy-footed, both in his kick-step and when he’s moving on the perimeter — wouldn’t be shocked if he’s carrying an extra 15-20 pounds or so compared to where they’d usually want him in mid-November. But he might just be getting his legs back under him after being out for so long.

There’s definite Dawand Jones vibes with him, in terms of the size and the length and the vice grip. He moves better though, and there is genuine All-Pro upside there I think.

Also, the injury history is bad and I don’t know how he’ll run, but I’d put down a pretty good penny on Ladd McConkey being a productive receiver in the league. I’ve loved him for a couple years now.

Are my eyes deceiving me (or maybe it's too early in the morning) but didn't Truss #73 also look pretty good at RT when Mims wasn't in? He moved pretty well for a big guy and some of the pass protection he was just bullying the rushers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Are my eyes deceiving me (or maybe it's too early in the morning) but didn't Truss #73 also look pretty good at RT when Mims wasn't in? He moved pretty well for a big guy and some of the pass protection he was just bullying the rushers.

I agree. He felt kinda clunky on the edge, but he was powering dudes around. I think it’s possible that the Ole Miss DL was pretty bad, but he was a starting OG for them last year and coming into this season, and they kicked him out to RT when Mims got hurt. 

I think he’s a guard, because of his feet, but I wouldn’t be shocked if he ends up on the fringes of Day 2. Like Mims, he’s about to get tested now that UGA is entering its “facing actual competition” phase of the season. 

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 2

Did another round of PFF simulator

Round 1 Brock Bowers TE- Oddly enough, Alt, Fashanu and Fuega were all gone by pick 10

Round 2 Xavier Worthy WR Texas

Round 2 Jordan Morgan OT Arizona

Round 3 Tyler Guyton OT Oklahoma 

Round 3 Sedrick Van Pran C Georgia  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Round 1 Brock Bowers TE- Oddly enough, Alt, Fashanu and Fuega were all gone by pick 10

Depending on what we do in FA, it’s hard to be mad at that

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

I like Truss at Guard.  The concern is he has bounced around the line up a lot.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, offbyone said:

I like Truss at Guard.  The concern is he has bounced around the line up a lot.   

Yeah, I confess I haven't watched as much college ball this Fall as I usually do. So he could definitely be a possible choice at Guard since we still need help all along our OL

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Depending on what we do in FA, it’s hard to be mad at that

Unless you’re the new defensive coordinator 😂

But yeah, I agree, that’s a lot of good talent to add on the offensive side of the ball. Value-wise, I think it’s all about where I’d envision them ending up except for Guyton. I have a hard time imagining he’ll fall into Round 3 with the way OL is valued these days.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2023 at 12:49 PM, ARTMONK HOF said:

11/14/23  Pick nos are a little off.

12: R1 P12 TE Brock Bowers - Georgia

35: R2 P3 G Zak Zinter - Michigan

44: R2 P12 G Troy Fautanu - Washington

76: R3 P12 LB Junior Colson - Michigan

99: R3 P35 LB Smael Mondon - Georgia

112: R4 P12 TE McCallan Castles - Tennessee

148: R5 P12 WR Ainias Smith - Texas A&M

187: R6 P12 TE Gavin Bartholomew - Pittsburgh

231: R7 P12 CB Caelen Carson - Wake Forest

C. Carson will definitely not be there in 7th. 

For me talk about doing cart wheels.

Only thing for me is taking 2TEs, we have Bates & Turner to back up Bowers.

I’d like to see an OT taken high too, if not R1, definitely R2, unless you’re moving Cosmi back to RT?

31 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I’d like to see an OT taken high too, if not R1, definitely R2, unless you’re moving Cosmi back to RT?

Turner the last 2 weeks has been a healthy scratch which doesn’t sound promising. Fautanu plays LT now he can play both.

26 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, we definitely need at least one guard — but FA looks better for that, and you can definitely find those later in the draft. Really need to try to hit OT with one of those top 3 picks if there’s any kind of value there, I think.

I know everybody is loving the Bowers idea (which I get, and would be excited about), but if we just miss out on Alt and Fashanu, I kinda like the idea of moving down a bit and taking Amarius Mims or Taliese Fuaga around 12-15. Then we could try to snag one of Zak Zinter or Troy Fautanu with one of the seconds. That would be a huge influx of talent and physicality on the OL — I watched some Fuaga and Zinter today, and they’re both really impressive. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I like it a lot but I think we need a MLB & DE prospect with 2 of those 5 picks. 

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

Yeah, we definitely need at least one guard — but FA looks better for that, and you can definitely find those later in the draft. Really need to try to hit OT with one of those top 3 picks if there’s any kind of value there, I think.

I know everybody is loving the Bowers idea (which I get, and would be excited about), but if we just miss out on Alt and Fashanu, I kinda like the idea of moving down a bit and taking Amarius Mims or Taliese Fuaga around 12-15. Then we could try to snag one of Zak Zinter or Troy Fautanu with one of the seconds. That would be a huge influx of talent and physicality on the OL — I watched some Fuaga and Zinter today, and they’re both really impressive. 

We’re on the same page per usual. I wouldn’t move down too far thigh, we need to get an OT or DE if we’re not going to get Bowers

3 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Turner the last 2 weeks has been a healthy scratch which doesn’t sound promising. Fautanu plays LT now he can play both.

That’s bc we had injuries at other positions. He’s not a blocking TE. So when Logan is good to go Turner is the #3 TE & we have injuries at OL etc, MLB & S so he’s going to be inactive bc we need back ups at those positions.

Edited by turtle28

3 hours ago, e16bball said:

Man it would kill me to trade away from Bowers after trading away from Olave and Hamilton.