The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

7 hours ago, e16bball said:

As we always knew it would, pulling out the win against the Pats cost us significantly — would currently be sitting #5, ahead of NE and NYG, if we’d lost that game. That’s a big difference, as the top 6 of Williams, Maye, Harrison, Fashanu, Alt, Bowers could conceivably all be gone by pick 7.

Two recently posted games worth watching:

Mims (UGA RT #77) and Fuaga (OSU RT #75) remain guys to keep a very close eye on. For me, they’re really right there behind Alt/Fashanu. Mims is a bit of a badass, and Fuaga is just rock solid. Both really powerful, smooth movers. Played against some good players in these games — Bralen Trice (UW DE #8) in particular is a grown *** man on the edge. Both of those teams have good OLs overall to look over, and Damien Martinez (OSU RB #6) is a bonus pick as a kid who looks electric as a true sophomore and could be on our radar down the road.

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d73abyiyro6cn2pobzuw

• Like 1

My latest mock draft from PFF Simulator:

Round 1: Joe Alt OT Notre Dame- I reluctantly passed on Bowers here for what I believe is the betterment of the team 

Round 2: Xavier Worthy WR Texas

Round 2: Jackson Powers-Johnson C Oregon

Round 3: Trey Benson FSU RB

Round 3: Zak Zinter OG Michigan 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, e16bball said:

As we always knew it would, pulling out the win against the Pats cost us significantly — would currently be sitting #5, ahead of NE and NYG, if we’d lost that game. That’s a big difference, as the top 6 of Williams, Maye, Harrison, Fashanu, Alt, Bowers could conceivably all be gone by pick 7.

Two recently posted games worth watching:

Mims (UGA RT #77) and Fuaga (OSU RT #75) remain guys to keep a very close eye on. For me, they’re really right there behind Alt/Fashanu. Mims is a bit of a badass, and Fuaga is just rock solid. Both really powerful, smooth movers. Played against some good players in these games — Bralen Trice (UW DE #8) in particular is a grown *** man on the edge. Both of those teams have good OLs overall to look over, and Damien Martinez (OSU RB #6) is a bonus pick as a kid who looks electric as a true sophomore and could be on our radar down the road.

Mims will be on the board when we pick as he appears to be a project. If it came down to Bowers vs. Mims at 7 who would you go with?

13 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Mims will be on the board when we pick as he appears to be a project. If it came down to Bowers vs. Mims at 7 who would you go with?

I'd go with Bowers. We can draft a RT prospect in R2 like we did with Cosmi & if they don't work out there hopefully they work at LG.

Just now, turtle28 said:

I'd go with Bowers. We can draft a RT prospect in R2 like we did with Cosmi & if they don't work out there hopefully they work at LG.

Yep. That is the beauty of having these two second round picks. There is an abundance of good tackles in this draft that I think will be available in round 2. They won't be the caliber of Fashanu, Alt or Fuaga but they will be good. I think there's a decent chance Kingsley Suamataia and Graham Barton are there in the second round. I also wouldn't be shocked to see Mims drop to the late first where a trade up is possible. 

Also, another scenario that I keep playing out is the possibility of Harrison Jr being available when we pick if we lose out. What do you do then? Do you pass on him for Fashanu, Fuaga or Alt? I'm not sure I could even though the position isn't necessarily a major need although I think it is a need. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Yep. That is the beauty of having these two second round picks. There is an abundance of good tackles in this draft that I think will be available in round 2. They won't be the caliber of Fashanu, Alt or Fuaga but they will be good. I think there's a decent chance Kingsley Suamataia and Graham Barton are there in the second round. I also wouldn't be shocked to see Mims drop to the late first where a trade up is possible. 

Also, another scenario that I keep playing out is the possibility of Harrison Jr being available when we pick if we lose out. What do you do then? Do you pass on him for Fashanu, Fuaga or Alt? I'm not sure I could even though the position isn't necessarily a major need although I think it is a need. 

Harrison Jr is a best player available type pick no matter who you have in your receiving corps, just like Brock Bowers is a BPA at tight end. Even if I had Travis Kelce I'd consider drafting Brock Bowers in R1. The Chiefs could use a 2 TE system w/ Kelce as the inline TE & Bowers as an FB/H-back in the way Kyle Shanahan uses Kyle Juszczyk San Fran.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I wouldn't want to even though he'd be BPA. The best way for us to grab him and to prevent having to worry about it is to spend wisely in FA and beef up the OL.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I’ve seen Zak Zinter going in the 3rd rd in a few of your mocks. I love the way this guy plays. I know it’s a simulated mock but I doubt he lasts until then. I could be wrong but I would grab him in the 2nd. 
I really hope we draft him. 

Same. I think Zinter is going to be a stud. 

• Like 1