The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

On 12/10/2023 at 4:07 PM, e16bball said:

Is it a bad system? Or were we just bad at it?

The Steelers, Ravens, and Pats have been using it with consistently excellent results for the last 20 years or so. Seems to be working okay for the Vikings in making that transition this year. 

The appeal is that we presently have zero players who can’t fit a 3-4 scheme, and I think the holes that exist — specifically the EDGE positions and at least one off-ball spot — are easier to fill if we’re trying to add traditional 3-4 personnel.

I hate to agree with you here because I really do not like the 34. But realities are what they are and you've completely sold me on finding the value right now with those undervalued players who are 34 personnel that we could get a 1/2 round, round (or more) lower than normal. 

Zig when the league zags

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

I hate to agree with you here because I really do not like the 34. But realities are what they are and you've completely sold me on finding the value right now with those undervalued players who are 34 personnel that we could get a 1/2 round, round (or more) lower than normal. 

Zig when the league zags

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7b6ysc2aqsg9m5kdjqd

• Like 1

8 hours ago, taylor made said:

I think Jayden has better potential than Sam Howell but he comes with a lot of risks. His weight/slender frame is an issue and I don't feel he has a great pro comparison. Should be interesting to see what he runs. He should definitely get some consideration.

It may be a lazy take of mine but I see a more humble version of RG3. Now the question becomes, can Jayden Daniels develop more as an NFL pocket passer if he’s not running a lot in the way RG3 couldn’t w/o the zone read/threat of him running the ball on every play.

Drafting Jayden Daniels to me basically brings up RG3 vs Kirk vibes again but this time it will be Daniels vs Howell.

We already have a QB who’s ahead of even where Cousins was at this age as a pocket passer who has more big time throws than Kirk & is definitely a better leader who’s likely to have a 66%, 4250-4500, 24 to 27 TDs w/ 300-400 yards rushing & 5 to 8 rushing TDs.

I think it gets ignored that Sam has 5 rushing TDs too bc he’s not a qb who runs a lot but will when he has to.  Everyone looks at 18 passing TDs w/14 ints bc if mostly 2 bad games - especially the Bills game where he threw 2 bad ints & 4 overall - but they don’t include Sam’s 5 rushing TDs in his total TDs.

Sam is well on his way to accounting for 4500 yds & 30 plus TDs )rushing and receiving) for this offense as a 23-year-old first year starter. That’s pretty damn impressive to me.

Edited by turtle28

I am going to be pretty upset if this team ends up with a top 4 pick and takes an OT. I know we took Trent at 4 but I don't see a Trent Williams in this draft and this is probably the best draft for OT that I've seen in years. You can probably get a good starter with out 2nd round pick. You take Maserati Marv at 3 or 4 and you never look back. 

Edited by lavar703

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I am going to be pretty upset if this team ends up with a top 4 pick and takes an OT. I know we took Trent at 4 but I don't see a Trent Williams in this draft and this is probably the best draft for OT that I've seen in years. You can probably get a good starter with out 2nd round pick. You take Maserati Marv at 3 or 4 and you never look back. 

I'm on the opposite side of this. I think if we don't address the O-line early and often, I will be pretty upset. I was beating the table last draft for TEs and O-Line help. It will be the same thing this draft. Lots of talent out there, but there is top tier talent and we have a chance to get them. I would take either Alt or Fashanu with no hesitation or regrets. I think Bowers will be in the top 8, but I'm not sure I take him over our needs at OT. Our offensive line is atrocious. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, taylor made said:

I think Jayden has better potential than Sam Howell but he comes with a lot of risks. His weight/slender frame is an issue and I don't feel he has a great pro comparison. Should be interesting to see what he runs. He should definitely get some consideration.

See those are my concerns but his ability to throw and run and as advanced as he is throwing from within the pocket while being a stud runner is what makes him special. He is the QB that gives me the IT factor from this class that if you erase his legs his behind the line passing touch and placement is really good. He does have a weird throw like flick but it’s very quick. Idk how much velo he generates with his release but he is a really dynamic player. That said I’d pick MHJ, Bowers, Fashanu, Alt in that order and if they went Daniels I’d completely understand. Because he’s the QB I love his ability upside and what he brings. But those things you’ve mentioned are concerns. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, e16bball said:

Absolutely crazy. 

We owe it to the universe to lose to the Jets now.

That’s when you realize we still have Ron and his desire to win to get his last you know it’s all coming together and we saw it coming post game speech 🤣🤣🤣