The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

On 12/13/2023 at 9:31 PM, lavar703 said:

Lets be honest, if Jayden Daniels is there they're going to take him. We all know it. 

Yep, and he’s going to back up Howell next year & maybe forever bc I really think with another year of learning & development Howell will cement himself as a top 15 QB.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Good for him. When Josh McDaniels was HC he  rarely got any targets. Draft a guy that high and you hardly threw the ball his way. Glad it’s starting to happen for him.

He was also developing still in their offense the first half of the year. I mean we all know Jimmy G loves to hit the TE. That chemistry just needed more time to develop but I totally get them wanting to move on from Jimmy G. He was overpaid to go there. The GM didn’t want to sign him but Davis agreed to sign him bc McDaniels wanted him. Jimmy G failing was the last straw for McDaniels bc that was his pick at QB instead of a cheaper vet & drafting a QB.

20 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I would love to trade down and take Bowers. That is my ideal scenario unless MHJ is on the board. I like Alt and Fashanu, I just don’t think they’re so far head and shoulders above the rest of these very good OT that I would take one in the top 5. I think Bowers is that however. I don’t think there’s been a more complete, dominant TE to come out in years. 

I’ll add to this that I think fans are nuts if they think the next regime will just flat out cut Leno to replace him with a rookie at a position rookies traditionally struggle out of the gates. My guess will be whatever OT they take will start out on the right side and either Wylie gets moved to guard or he’s used as depth. 

I will disagree that Bowers is complete. Bowers is in the Jordan Reed mold as a TE, he’s not a great blocker. I will Say he’s a more willing blocker than Reed was but he’s not great at it. He’s used as an H-back type for Georgia. He’s not a bad blocker but we shouldn’t overlook the fact that it’s not his strength. 

Hockenson was the most compete TE to come out in years or your boys Michael Mayer, Sam Laporta & Pat F. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I will disagree that Bowers is complete. Bowers is in the Jordan Reed mold as a TE, he’s not a great blocker. I will Say he’s a more willing blocker than Reed was but he’s not great at it. He’s used as an H-back type for Georgia. He’s not a bad blocker but we shouldn’t overlook the fact that it’s not his strength. 

Hockenson was the most compete TE to come out in years or your boys Michael Mayer, Sam Laporta & Pat F. 

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-brock-bowers-georgia-2024-nfl-draft-best-tight-end-prospects

He’s a pretty damn good blocking TE as well my dude 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Well at least we have Emmanuel Forbes…

I’m not going to hate on the Forbes pick when this coaching staff literally put players in the exact opposite position as to their skillset. We put William Jackson in Zone match. Which is why I was so adimant against taking Porter JR. which is why Forbes looked so smart is they run a ton of Zone match. Then we run press man with the kid with no saftey help and it’s like dude what does this team actually want

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

I’m not going to hate on the Forbes pick when this coaching staff literally put players in the exact opposite position as to their skillset. We put William Jackson in Zone match. Which is why I was so adimant against taking Porter JR. which is why Forbes looked so smart is they run a ton of Zone match. Then we run press man with the kid with no saftey help and it’s like dude what does this team actually want

He’s too small and gets bullied by big receivers. Rivera has made a habit of reaching when there’s better players on the board. I have zero hatred towards Forbes. I want him to be great but I don’t think it’s going to happen. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

He’s too small and gets bullied by big receivers. Rivera has made a habit of reaching when there’s better players on the board. I have zero hatred towards Forbes. I want him to be great but I don’t think it’s going to happen. 

He is small no doubt but he can certainly improve. The thing he has to improve upon most I think besides getting stronger is to stay in his technique and let the plays/PBUs & ints come to him.

To me part of his issue early in the year was he was trying too hard to make plays. He was jumping routes & leaving the safety out to dry. Again, stay in your technique & the plays/ints will come, don’t force it.

To me he tops out at a #2 CB. I 100% agree that Rivera & Mayhew reached on him. They should’ve drafted Christian Gonzalez who’s more technically sounds & could’ve played in the slot which is really what we needed most.

Really Jack Campbell should’ve been the pick too even thought it was taking another LB in R1 and we could’ve drafted Anton Harrison too.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, taylor made said:

Outside of Bowers, this TE class does not seem great. 

I wasn't great on the guys I liked vs. didn't like last year, so take this with a grain of salt. 

Stover, Nesbitt, Spann-Ford are my early likes.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I wasn't great on the guys I liked vs. didn't like last year, so take this with a grain of salt. 

Stover, Nesbitt, Spann-Ford are my early likes.

Stover is the only one I like out of that group. I think its basically Bowers or nothing. Either take Bowers or don't really waste your time because Cole Turner is probably better than the rest of the group available. 

14 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I don’t think he’s actually too small. I think he has a skillset and you can match up that skillset with a creative defense like good defensive coaches do. Because if he was on Dallas this kid would have had 10 picks this season. Devanta smith is the same size and he’s a beast WR. He is slight but the game isn’t too big for him. There were effort things I saw this year but this whole team got bullied with effort plays this season and that’s because they know this staff isn’t in charge in the near future

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Stover is the only one I like out of that group. I think its basically Bowers or nothing. Either take Bowers or don't really waste your time because Cole Turner is probably better than the rest of the group available. 

If they cut Logan then they’re going to need to draft a TE bc I don’t think you can just rely on Cole Turner & Bates to be the for sure guys. Taking Stover or someone else in the mid to late rounds to compete w/ Turner & Bates makes sense if Logan is cut. Stover or whoever can compete w/ Turner & Bates to be the starter.

Edited by turtle28

WAS
    Brock Bowers
    TE Georgia
    WAS
    Jeremiah Trotter Jr.
    LB Clemson
    WAS

Troy Fautau, OT, Washington
    WAS
    Donovan Jackson
    OG Ohio State