The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

29 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Scenario 1: Caleb Williams goes #1. Commanders select: Joe Alt/Olu Fashanu.

I think we pick too high now to consider either of these. 

30 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Scenario 2: Caleb Williams goes #1. Commanders select: Marvin Harrison Jr.

For this to make sense they'd have to acquire another QB to compete with Howell. Do you trade up into the back end of the 1st round? Do you sign a vet like Russell Wilson? I think I would be one of the people who would support going rogue like this but it could also end up being a complete disaster that gets a lot of people fired. I think its pretty unlikely this happens.

33 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Scenario 3: Caleb Williams goes #1. Commanders select: Dallas Turner/Laiatu Latu.

I think these guys a tier below several of the players on offense as far as BPA. So while it may fit a need it wouldn't be a good use of our resources to take either unless we traded down first. 

34 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Scenario 4: Marvin Harrison Jr goes #1. Commanders trade #2 to a team in top 10 for a very good haul. Team that receives #2 selects Caleb Williams. 

I'd have to see the haul. I'm not 100% sold on Caleb Williams so I could be talked into this. But this is another easy way for someone to get fired if things go wrong. 

36 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Scenario 5: Joe Alt/Olu Fashanu goes #1. Commanders select: Jayden Daniels.

This will never happen. 

36 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Scenario 6: Commanders trade up for #1 pick, giving up their 2nd (41 ovr) and 2025 1st. Commanders select: Caleb Williams.

I would really hate to give up that future first. Even for a QB. I mean we can just stay at 2 and take a QB. 

37 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Scenario 7: Jayden Daniels goes #1. Commanders select: Caleb Williams.

So Bears bail on their run first QB for another one? I find this extremely unlikely but sure why not. 

5 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

I get what you're saying but what you're offering is 264 points over the value of the first pick and on top of it you're throwing in Jonathan Allen. I think that's too much. I wouldn't offer a first or second. I would however, offer both thirds and a third next year plus Emmanuel Forbes. That's my best offer because I'm fine sitting at 2 and taking Drake Maye. 

Ya but you have to pay enough that the Bears don't accept offers from people trying to jump us.  Do you want the Giants to get Caleb Williams? That could be on the table. 

1 minute ago, brownie man said:

I think yall taking Jayden Daniel’s. 

He’s got that “it” that Maye doesn’t have. 

congrats on that number 2 pick. Best thing your franchise could do 

He was pedestrian and left a mediocre school for a powerhouse and then had a tremendous season surrounded by insane talent. I just don't see it. I don't see why it took him so long to show this ability? Lamar Jackson was doing it as a 19-year old. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

Ya but you have to pay enough that the Bears don't accept offers from people trying to jump us.  Do you want the Giants to get Caleb Williams? That could be on the table. 

No not really but I don't want to get taken to the cleaners just because. I think ultimately the Bears are taking Williams and nobody is prying that pick away so I'm not really getting my hopes up and then on top of it I don't want to spend a ton of resources getting the pick from them. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I've been trying to brain storm what flipping 2 for 1 would cost? We haven't really seen that scenario, we've seen 3 for 2 before when the Bears traded up for Trubisky, and the Browns traded up from 4 to 3 for Trent Richardson. The Bears paid #3 overall, #67 (3) and #111 (4) + future 3rd and the Browns paid 4th, 5th and a 7th. Those picks aren't worth as much as #1 overall though and it wasn't for a presumed top end QB. 

So I think it has to include multiple assets and has to be more than what those were. So maybe we give the Bears their 2nd rounder back, our 5th round pick, a future 3rd, and maybe throw in Jon Allen? Is that enough? 

Most mock draft experts/pundits are basically saying #2, a 2nd and a 1st next year is about what it would take. 

To me that's too much, but I'm a nobody. Lol

• Like 1

Just now, Slappy Mc said:

Most mock draft experts/pundits are basically saying #2, a 2nd and a 1st next year is about what it would take. 

Way too much. A team this bad cannot give up a first round pick the following season to move up one spot. Just take Maye. I mean, there's plenty of scouts who have put Maye ahead of Williams. I just don't think the talent disparity between the two is so vast that you give up a ton of resources to move up. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

I get what you're saying but what you're offering is 264 points over the value of the first pick and on top of it you're throwing in Jonathan Allen. I think that's too much. I wouldn't offer a first or second. I would however, offer both thirds and a third next year plus Emmanuel Forbes. That's my best offer because I'm fine sitting at 2 and taking Drake Maye. 

I agree. I think I would do the deal that @MKnight82 is talking about but, I think it makes more sense to stay at#2 and take Drake Maye.

I don’t think the gap between Drake Maye & Caleb is very wide, it’s like the difference between Josh Allen & Patrick Mahomes.

So, I’d just stay at #2, take Drake Maye, keep those other picks & keep Jon Allen unless Jon Allen asks for a trade but, if Jon Allen asks for a trade I wouldn’t give the Bears back their 2nd.

I view Jon Allen worth a late 1st or 2nd round pick. So, essentially if we’re trading Jon Allen to the Bears in that trade up to get Caleb, I’m not trading them their 2nd back.

8 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

We've done the run first one year wonder college QB thing before.  I'm a hard pass on Daniels. 

Same. Hard pass as I can be. Like a Mark Rypien rifle pass from 5 yards away. 😂 

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Way too much. A team this bad cannot give up a first round pick the following season to move up one spot. Just take Maye. I mean, there's plenty of scouts who have put Maye ahead of Williams. I just don't think the talent disparity between the two is so vast that you give up a ton of resources to move up. 

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7erfiv8klcm8kf34pma

4 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

No not really but I don't want to get taken to the cleaners just because. I think ultimately the Bears are taking Williams and nobody is prying that pick away so I'm not really getting my hopes up and then on top of it I don't want to spend a ton of resources getting the pick from them. 

The #1 overall pick always get a premium return. You have to throw out the outdated trade chart and look at actual trade comparables to gauge what compensation would be required. The Panthers gave up a huge haul for #1 last year. 

8 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

That's why I included Jon Allen, to try to get around including a future first. 

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

The #1 overall pick always get a premium return. You have to throw out the outdated trade chart and look at actual trade comparables to gauge what compensation would be required. The Panthers gave up a huge haul for #1 last year. 

The Panthers moved up from 9 to 1. We're moving up one spot. One. You cannot give up a haul to move one spot. If Drake Maye wasn't in this draft then I'd be fine giving up our 2nd but not anything beyond that. We just watched the Panthers move up to one and the Texans stayed still and got the best QB in the draft at 2. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

They also traded up from #9. The trade was long before the draft too. It was clearly an overpay to get whoever they wanted, but like you said you have to pay if you want the ability to choose. 

I would prefer to be sellers in those scenarios, but I understand we don't have the luxury to be sellers when we don't have our QBotF.