The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

23 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I also hate the Bears example of trading our pick and what we can get for it. The only thing that bailed them out of trading last years pick was that they ended up with the first pick this year. Every single Bears fan would trade all of those picks they got for CJ Stroud right now. There is no Caleb Williams or Drake Maye in next years draft and had the Panthers won some games and that pick ended up around 11 or 12 the Bears would be stuck with Fields. They were simply bailed out by how bad the Panthers were. 

Really agree with this. Trade worked out great for them, I’m happy for them.

But if the Panthers had just taken CJ Stroud instead of Bryce Young, the Bears would likely be getting panned right now for giving up the OROY and a likely franchise guy. When they haven’t had a guy like that in AGES.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Really agree with this. Trade worked out great for them, I’m happy for them.

But if the Panthers had just taken CJ Stroud instead of Bryce Young, the Bears would likely be getting panned right now for giving up the OROY and a likely franchise guy. When they haven’t had a guy like that in AGES.

Its funny watching the Panthers take so much crap for drafting a guy that nearly every single draftnik had ahead of Stroud yet somehow the Bears haven't caught any crap for essentially giving the right to take Stroud away. If Williams pans out this will essentially be the Bills giving away the Mahomes pick but lucking into Josh Allen the next season. However, if Williams bombs and Stroud continues this trajectory the Bears deserve a ton of criticism for trading that pick. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Its funny watching the Panthers take so much crap for drafting a guy that nearly every single draftnik had ahead of Stroud yet somehow the Bears haven't caught any crap for essentially giving the right to take Stroud away. If Williams pans out this will essentially be the Bills giving away the Mahomes pick but lucking into Josh Allen the next season. However, if Williams bombs and Stroud continues this trajectory the Bears deserve a ton of criticism for trading that pick. 

I guess because it did work out for them. They got 1 more year to look at Fields and walked into a situation where they can now upgrade him. Luck? Sure. But it worked out, so how can you pan them for it? 

"This could have been SOOOOO bad for you!" Well it wasn't necessarily. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I guess because it did work out for them. They got 1 more year to look at Fields and walked into a situation where they can now upgrade him. Luck? Sure. But it worked out, so how can you pan them for it? 

"This could have been SOOOOO bad for you!" Well it wasn't necessarily. 

It only works out if Williams is a success. If it doesn't then they'll be just another team that passed on Stroud

19 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

It only works out if Williams is a success. If it doesn't then they'll be just another team that passed on Stroud

Stroud's had one good season. Lets pump the brakes on that too. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

But that's not something people are going to crap on them about unless it comes to fruition and we won't know for years. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lavar703 said:

You can't wait until next year to take a QB. The class is pretty bad. I know someone always makes a jump but its extremely mediocre. If you don't take the QB now we're simply doing the same thing Rivera did. You have the second pick. Take a QB. 

That's what I did with my 2nd mock

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/sim/second-draft-3502

I ended up with Maye and a pretty good haul + an extra 1st and 2nd next year.

I only had to trade out of #2 to NE (down to #3). They took Caleb. Got a 2024 2nd rounder and 2025 2nd rounder for it.

And I traded out of #40. Got SEA's 1st next year (highly unbelievable but rolling with it)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I've heard that comparison but Herbert is huge. I've always thought Maye was more like Matthew Stafford. 

Herbert is 6'6" 236 about and Maye is 6'4" 229 according to google, so take that for what it's worth as a size comparison

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

I want you to watch Maye again and tell me that he doesn't lock onto his first receiver too long.

I've watch a good amount of him. At times he does yes, but that could be is main read and also see's something he likes pre-snap. It could be the cause of some of his sacks well. I've seen plenty of college QB's do that and not do it in the NFL just because they have a stud that wins 1v1's often. I'm not saying he's perfect, I just don't think he's someone you can pass on in our situation because he has a very high ceiling in my opinion. Go watch some Herbert college highlights then watch Maye right after and tell me they don't look quite similar in college. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Not this guy 😂 and it wasn't just Ohio State biased, I had Stroud above Bryce Young bc of his traits. Taller, stronger, stronger arm & a more complete passer.

Also, I had Fields above Zach Wilson & Trey Lance for some of the same reasons but beyond that, Fields had just proven he was more pro-ready QB than Wilson & Lance.

I think Fields in Kyle Shanahan’s offense would be killing it right now with his ability to run & pass. Kyle would have him along w/Debo, McCaffrey, Aiyuk & Kittle as the hardest team to defend in the league which arguably they are now but they could've been even more dynamic w/ Fields on that O bc of his ability to run & they could do some zone read like Kyle did with RG3.

Edited by turtle28

24 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I bet we trade up to draft Caleb Williams

If they are tipping their hand that their not going QB, why would we trade up? Let them get their haul elsewhere if that's their plan. Stick at 2, take your QB.

1 hour ago, Slappy Mc said:

If they are tipping their hand that their not going QB, why would we trade up? Let them get their haul elsewhere if that's their plan. Stick at 2, take your QB.

Because someone else will jump us like the Patriots to get Caleb. If you want a guy, you go get them & ensure you get him. If they have Caleb, Drake & Jayden about the same I wouldn’t trade up, but if you clearly have Caleb better than Drake & Jayden - I do by the way - then trade up 1 spot and draft who you think will be the best chance to get a franchise QB that this franchise has been longing for since Theismann.

38 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Because someone else will jump us like the Patriots to get Caleb. If you want a guy, you go get them & ensure you get him. If they have Caleb, Drake & Jayden about the same I wouldn’t trade up, but if you clearly have Caleb better than Drake & Jayden - I do by the way - then trade up 1 spot and draft who you think will be the best chance to get a franchise QB that this franchise has been longing for since Theismann.

I just don't think the difference between any of the QBs this year is worth the cost it would take to move up one spot. If someone wants to pay that price, I would let them, then take your pick from the remaining lot. I am more pessimistic about this QB class that almost anyone though.

I would trade out of the spot too if I were the Bears. Heck my top preference would be for Caleb Williams to fall to us so we could trade away the priveledge to draft him for a kings ransom. I know I'm alone in that, but this team will definitely suck again next year and I would prefer to ride with Sam Howell (who is already damaged goods) with a better supporting cast. If we go down to 4 and took MHJr or Alt or Fashanu I would be stoked*.

Also it should be noted that if EB stays in any capacity, I hope we sign a FA QB that has familiarity with his offense (Blaine Gabbert?) as neither Howell or a rookie would be able to handle EBs 1.77 to 1 pass to run ratio offense.

*(Alone if my own little utopia, I know)