The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

2 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

If they are tipping their hand that their not going QB, why would we trade up? Let them get their haul elsewhere if that's their plan. Stick at 2, take your QB.

They’re telling everyone the phone lines open

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

I just don't think the difference between any of the QBs this year is worth the cost it would take to move up one spot. If someone wants to pay that price, I would let them, then take your pick from the remaining lot. I am more pessimistic about this QB class that almost anyone though.

I would trade out of the spot too if I were the Bears. Heck my top preference would be for Caleb Williams to fall to us so we could trade away the priveledge to draft him for a kings ransom. I know I'm alone in that, but this team will definitely suck again next year and I would prefer to ride with Sam Howell (who is already damaged goods) with a better supporting cast. If we go down to 4 and took MHJr or Alt or Fashanu I would be stoked*.

Also it should be noted that if EB stays in any capacity, I hope we sign a FA QB that has familiarity with his offense (Blaine Gabbert?) as neither Howell or a rookie would be able to handle EBs 1.77 to 1 pass to run ratio offense.

*(Alone if my own little utopia, I know)

If you want a vet, just re-sign Jacoby but, my guess is Jacoby will move on for 2 reasons. If he is going to just be a backup in this league he’s going to want to do it on a playoff caliber team, not one that looks to be rebuilding for the next 2 to 4 years. 

Also, if I’m Jacoby he probably feels lied to. I’m pretty sure he signed here bc Rivera told him he’d have a true QB competition and be able to compete for the job, but that was never the case. It was a fake competition, Rivera just gave Howell the job - which I was in favor of as we needed to see what he had - but if I’m Jacoby, I would feel lied to.

Edited by turtle28

42 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

They’re telling everyone the phone lines open

I understand. What I'm saying is why would we be the ones trading up? We arguable would offer the least in a bidding war since we are the closest. I'm not saying we wouldn't be interested in trading up, but them essentially coming out and saying, "make us an offer we can't refuse if you want your QB," how much is too much for 1 spot? If you were the Patriots, could you not have a higher "too much" threshold?

Edited by Slappy Mc

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

If you want a vet, just re-sign Jacoby but, my guess is Jacoby will I’ve on for 2 reasons. If he going to just be a backup in this league he’s going to want to do it on a playoff caliber team, not one that looks to be rebuilding for the next 2 to 4 years. 

Also, if I’m Jacoby he probably feels lied to. I’m pretty sure he signed here bc Rivera told him he’d have a true QB competition and be able to compete for the job, but that was never the case. It was a fake competition, Rivera just gave Howell the job - which I was in favor of as we needed to see what he had - but if I’m Jacoby, I would feel lied to.

I wouldn't be opposed to that. I think Jacoby Brissett is a very capable QB. The Browns offense looked way better with him at QB than Deshaun Watson.

• Like 2

Was watching some Cooper Beebe this evening (might be a target with one of the 2nds), and a couple other guys popped for me.

TE Ben Sinnott also plays for KSU, and he had a distinctly Cooleyesque vibe to him. Kind of a weird mover, but he’s getting open and he’s a handful to take down once he gets rumbling. Didn’t really pay much attention to his blocking, but he’s a guy to keep an eye on.

I also liked what I saw from Mizzou LB Ty’Ron Hopper. He was just making splash play after splash play against KSU, to the point that I had restart when I was done just to watch him. Very explosive player, very good instincts, not the most polished/disciplined guy you’ll come across — but he was very impactful. Seems like he’d at least be an option on ST, given that explosion.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, e16bball said:

Was watching some Cooper Beebe this evening (might be a target with one of the 2nds), and a couple other guys popped for me.

TE Ben Sinnott also plays for KSU, and he had a distinctly Cooleyesque vibe to him. Kind of a weird mover, but he’s getting open and he’s a handful to take down once he gets rumbling. Didn’t really pay much attention to his blocking, but he’s a guy to keep an eye on.

I also liked what I saw from Mizzou LB Ty’Ron Hopper. He was just making splash play after splash play against KSU, to the point that I had restart when I was done just to watch him. Very explosive player, very good instincts, not the most polished/disciplined guy you’ll come across — but he was very impactful. Seems like he’d at least be an option on ST, given that explosion.

I was watching Beebe and seems to be a lunch pail type of player gets the job done. He’s not going to blow you away with his athleticism but seems to have good technique, keeps d linemen in front of him. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

I understand. What I'm saying is why would we be the ones trading up? We arguable would offer the least in a bidding war since we are the closest. I'm not saying we wouldn't be interested in trading up, but them essentially coming out and saying, "make us an offer we can't refuse if you want your QB," how much is too much for 1 spot? If you were the Patriots, could you not have a higher "too much" threshold?

We have the #2 pick & Jon Allen. It’s probably the two best assets anyone could offer the Bears. Even if a team is trading a future 1st, there’s no guarantee that’s even going to be a top 10 pick. Our offer of #2 & Jon on its face is better than anyone else can offer.

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I was watching Beebe and seems to be a lunch pail type of player gets the job done. He’s not going to blow you away with his athleticism but seems to have good technique, keeps d linemen in front of him. 

Exactly what I think. He’s a perfect left guard while you have Cosmi at RG who’s more athletic and can be a pulling guard who can also get out well on screens where Bebe is the battering ram.

5 hours ago, e16bball said:

100% Ben Sinnott would be a great mid round pick. As you said, he is Cooleyesque. Having him and our current young TEs battle it out for playing time next year I think would be beneficial for all 3. Bates & Turner never really got the chance to beat out Logan, they got inconsistent targets the last few years at best. I’m not saying either can either be starters, but in the competition of the 3 of them we may find one starter where it just hits for one of them.

5 hours ago, e16bball said:

I saw someone on another fan site compare Sinnott to LaPorta so decided to watch him some months back and I saw the same as you. He’s awkward like Cooley. Nothing like LaPorta who was a smooth runner with moves on top of moves in the open field. 

• Like 1

TE is going to be a tough turn for us next year. Our cap space means you could in theory just keep Logan around, but I dunno why we should. The FA market is relatively thin. You could spend money on Shultz, but I imagine Houston keeps him around. Sinnott has been on my list with guys like Stover, Nesbit, the kid from Penn State, Spann-Ford.

Are any of them year 1 contributors though (that might just be Bowers and Sanders)? I have no issue with a developmental guy - hell Year 3 is Turner's make or break year. 

If we trade up to #1, I'll immediately say dumb. I know we're supposed to trust our new front office. But there isn't much that could be said to convince me that's a good idea. I've read, we trade our two seconds, and the #2 overall, to move up. Nah I'm good.

The one stat I've read on Maye, that I absolutely love, is he was the highest rated QB when getting the ball out of his hands in less than 2.5 seconds (don't quote me on the time... I believe that was it). That's critical in this league. I also like the additional 3 inches (TWSS) in height overall Howell. Too many batted down balls this year. 

Edited by Skinsin2013
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

We have the #2 pick & Jon Allen. It’s probably the two best assets anyone could offer the Bears. Even if a team is trading a future 1st, there’s no guarantee that’s even going to be a top 10 pick. Our offer of #2 & Jon on its face is better than anyone else can offer.

I respectfully disagree. Chicago, if they trade out of #1, is going to get a haul. Jon Allen and #2 for #1 is not that. 

• Like 2