The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

2 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

The cons he has about the accuracy and just not having anything be his fastball at any level was my biggest concern and why I have him behind Daniels and Williams

Yes I here you but to truthfull it just boill down to what kind of QB you like.  Our new GM and HC will decide which QB fits their style. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, 4209 said:

Yes I here you but to truthfull it just boill down to what kind of QB you like.  Our new GM and HC will decide which QB fits their style. 

I agree and I don’t dislike what Maye brings too the table. Great size and movement skills. Really really solid all around player. I just like that he hit that point because that’s what I was seeing and saying. The old stage is if you can do it once you can do it twice so he has done everything great before so the skill sets there. I don’t knock him guys generally come from Mac Brown not as refined as they can be. But that’s all college QB’s. 

To your point you’re exactly right!!! The QB’s that I can remember Peter’s being apart of I think are Garrolpolo, Llynch, Lance, Purdy. If your looking at history I think that says your looking for guys more in the mold of Maye and McCarthy and I guess you can say Nix but I personally want nothing to do with that. Maybe Penix. Williams has all those same skills but I think he’s alittle more freelance than his type. And you just don’t have enough history with Johnson to know. That said I think it’s a very real shot they go Maye. That said if it was up to me and I was starting Maye in the face at number 2 and I had offers to stay in the top 6 that include a second and 1 next year I make the trade or take Harrison Jr. just my opinion but I’m not going to take a QB at 2 I don’t love. And I say that because as Quickly as everyone is elated about Peter’s and Maybe Ben Johnson if it doesn’t work out Johnson would probably be out just as quick as he came in. I think Williams is a huge wild card!!! But he’s the guy. I love Jayden Daniels game but he’s slight and alittle older. So the Lamar comp isn’t fair Lamar was 21 when he came in. And realistically if I couldn’t get Williams I’d go BPA or trade back and hope Penix is there round two or 3 and really infuse this roster in the trenches LB and just put young bright players through this draft on this team. Yes it’s year one. But it’s just my preference on how I’d build it

Edited by ripsean21
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

The cons he has about the accuracy and just not having anything be his fastball at any level was my biggest concern and why I have him behind Daniels and Williams

Daniels isn’t as good as Maye. Daniels is late throwing, off target often and not as good in the pocket but he does make up for that with his wheels. Daniels really reminds me of RG3.

Drake Maye reminds me of Josh Allen or Justin Herbert. Both guys came into the league with all kinds of arm talent but needed development with accuracy and throwing with touch. I feel Maye will get there where I worry Daniels won’t plus Daniels is older.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Daniels isn’t as good as Maye. Daniels is late throwing, off target often and not as good in the pocket but he does make up for that with his wheels. Daniels really reminds me of RG3.

Drake Maye reminds me of Josh Allen or Justin Herbert. Both guys came into the league with all kinds of arm talent but needed development with accuracy and throwing with touch. I feel Maye will get there where I worry Daniels won’t plus Daniels is older.

But his trigger isn’t as quick as theirs. His motion is slower it’s torqued so if you’re gonna comp him to guys with the biggest arms with a slow trigger I can’t see it. He can throw it but it’s not as quick a release and it’s not the cannon of those guys. I think there’s a lot of oh we took Chase young and coulda had Herbert going on here. 

how many playoff wins do he or Tua have? And where are those teams cap wise once Tua is paid? And they couldn’t get close in the cheap window so what was built? The QB game is a crap shoot. But I’m going to bank on a tool box!!! Williams has a complete toolbox. Daniels has a wildcard with plenty of tools. Now you want to take guys later I’ll re enter the chat. But I’m not taking a QB in the top 2 just to take the second best and not the one I love when our OL TE LB and DB’s are in flux. I’m not doing it if it was my team. Sam can take a beating and what is another year with completion and development while we go Harrison or Bowers or move back a pick or two let some other staff get fired in 3 years and come away with Fashonu/ Alt and more picks?

also Herbert and Allen weren’t picked at two even with their incredible tool boxes. Luckily I trust Peters to do the right thing!!! Because picking Maye at number 5 is where I start for his skillset. I’m just not in love with him and I like him a lot. But I value feet in the pocket  off platform ability and a quick trigger. Now you want to comp him to Daniel Jones and be honest about what he’s shown I’ll be fair and continue to ***** what he is athletically

Edited by ripsean21
  • Like 1

Assuming B. Johnson is our HC, does Drake Maye fit the QB profile that he would be looking for?  
I don’t know enough of what B. Johnson would need a QB to have to run his offense. 
Adam Peters picked Mr. Irrelevant and he’s running the offense of a top 5 team in the league who has a chance to go to the Superbowl. 
Picking 2 or not picking 2 that is the question?

• Like 2

But in college they looked exactly the same!! Jones isn’t a twitch thrower but can sling it. Sneaky wheels late processor doesn’t thread at any level with consistency. That’s Mayes game that’s Jones game and people want to take him two!!!

4 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Assuming B. Johnson is our HC, does Drake Maye fit the QB profile that he would be looking for?  
I don’t know enough of what B. Johnson would need a QB to have to run his offense. 
Adam Peters picked Mr. Irrelevant and he’s running the offense of a top 5 team in the league who has a chance to go to the Superbowl. 

Purdy is leading a team 7 years into a build!!! And I am not disrespecting him and what he does but that roster on both sides all 3 levels is deep!!!

Edited by ripsean21
  • Like 1

Also I don’t agree Daniels isn’t as good. They said the same thing about Lamar. No Daniels isn’t Lamar because he’s older so that’s miles and hits before a second deal piling up that changes the discussion. We actually saw Daniels elevate the talent on LSU. Last year I was talking up Nabers. Oh he’s a possession guy. Now he’s being talked about in the top 15. Daniel’s elevated that team. And yes he’s late. Because he’s read and go and he’s had to be at ASU. But he is a better player. He lost to Bama this year and was leading the hell out of that football team. Where was UNC? And that’s after Tez Walker came in and he’s a legit stud!!!

1 minute ago, ripsean21 said:

Purdy is leading a team 7 years into a build!!! And I am not disrespecting him and what he does but that roster on both sides all 3 levels is deep!!!

This is exactly the model I would like us to do. Make it so anyone can succeed, then find your guy. They drafted Trey Lance after trading a bunch of capital for him. They had Jimmy G. Brock Purdy is the guy for his offense. The beginning of their ascent started with trading for Trent Williams after Joe Staley retired. Build the offense and defensive line. Build the team up around the QB and then get your QB.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

To your first point that’s what I was saying earlier is there’s not enough known about Ben Johnson about his preference. I know he’s a UNC QB so he was all over Sam Howells pro day for obvious reasons but he and Scott Turner were the only Offensive coaches at Sam’s pro days. The rest were team scouts. This isn’t a give Sam more time post. I’m a BPA reguarldless of position guy. Maye isn’t a top 2 player in this class period. You can move a QB up a few spots. But what has Drake Maye done at UNC that Daniel Jones wasn’t doing at Duke?

20 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

But his trigger isn’t as quick as theirs. His motion is slower it’s torqued so if you’re gonna comp him to guys with the biggest arms with a slow trigger I can’t see it. He can throw it but it’s not as quick a release and it’s not the cannon of those guys. I think there’s a lot of oh we took Chase young and coulda had Herbert going on here. 

how many playoff wins do he or Tua have? And where are those teams cap wise once Tua is paid? And they couldn’t get close in the cheap window so what was built? The QB game is a crap shoot. But I’m going to bank on a tool box!!! Williams has a complete toolbox. Daniels has a wildcard with plenty of tools. Now you want to take guys later I’ll re enter the chat. But I’m not taking a QB in the top 2 just to take the second best and not the one I love when our OL TE LB and DB’s are in flux. I’m not doing it if it was my team. Sam can take a beating and what is another year with completion and development while we go Harrison or Bowers or move back a pick or two let some other staff get fired in 3 years and come away with Fashonu/ Alt and more picks?

also Herbert and Allen weren’t picked at two even with their incredible tool boxes. Luckily I trust Peters to do the right thing!!! Because picking Maye at number 5 is where I start for his skillset. I’m just not in love with him and I like him a lot. But I value feet in the pocket  off platform ability and a quick trigger. Now you want to comp him to Daniel Jones and be honest about what he’s shown I’ll be fair and continue to ***** what he is athletically

Teams win playoff games, not any one player.

I don’t like next years QB class. If the top 2 (Sanders & Ewers) were coming out this draft, they’d be a late 1st at best in this draft so, I’m not with passing on the better QB prospect than next years QBs when we have # 2.

It’s funny you say all these things about Maye with inconsistent base, feet & some accuracy issues but Daniels has all those issues too. Daniels is 2 years older than Maye & he weighs 20 to 30 pounds less.

The choice is clear.

1 minute ago, Slappy Mc said:

This is exactly the model I would like us to do. Make it so anyone can succeed, then find your guy. They drafted Trey Lance after trading a bunch of capital for him. They had Jimmy G. Brock Purdy is the guy for his offense. The beginning of their ascent started with trading for Trent Williams after Joe Staley retired. Build the offense and defensive line. Build the team up around the QB and then get your QB.

Exactly. We have Sam. He can atleast play. Heck resign Brissett and let him play to develop your roster. But build this actual team up!!!

I’m not against going and getting Caleb but he HAS to be YOUR guy!!! Like mentally physically and behind the scenes in the film room junkie!!! Idc about nails or reports. The things he does make him a target for reports. His dad being involved will be a thing I’d consider. But if he is addicted to the grind with his tools I’m okay. But that’s a special case. And trust me there are concerns with Williams game but the toolbox and wheels and the way he carried both teams with no defense because Riley is an ego maniac I’m not blaming him for. as I said Williams is a special case and it’s because we’re at 2 already.

8 hours ago, lavar703 said:

If we hadn't ended up with the second pick I would've just ran it back with Howell. My guess is he improves with a better staff but you can't take the chance at 2. Just take Maye or Williams. 

This is where I'm at as well.

• Like 1