The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

17 hours ago, taylor made said:

A month and a half until the combine. And I better hope to see Drake Maye out there running and doing the drills. I'm in his camp at the moment, but he has to show up with good size and a fast forty. NFLdraftbuzz.com has him running a 4.6 forty at 6'4". He might be more like 6'3" and that would be very disappointing. He's shifty in pocket. Everyone is saying Justin Herbert but Herbert is a giant at 6'6". Their face and demeanor are oddly similar though. I see more of a Philip Rivers on the field. 

You care about what a QB runs in the 40? That's the last thing in care about.

Edited by turtle28

54 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

How do you move from 2 to 19 and not end up with any future first round picks? 

By gaining 5 2nds and 3 3rds while staying in the top 20. 

4 hours ago, IHatesnyder said:

Feel like we need a bit more man if we trade back. Who’s the qb going to be ? I’m open for options .

Any veteran FA QB or Sam Howell or Jacoby Brissett. Whatever place holder we need during a transition year. Build up the team around them and get your QBotF that fits your scheme. 

Look at all the needs that were filled. 

30 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

@lavar703 @IHatesnyder

PFN-MDS-Result-1705414745813.png

Maybe this suits your fancy a little better? 

Daniels doesn't make it past New England. Belichick is gone in NE, so they won't definitely be looking for Tom Brady 2.0 anymore, their new GM could be open to a more mobile QB.

Beyond that we need to take OG & OT higher & we need a Mike LB & I don't see one taken and, we need a slot CB and I don't see one taken.

We’re taking another back up safety?

I hate to say this but this looks like a Ron Rivers draft.

15 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Daniels doesn't make it past New England. Belichick is gone in NE, so they won't definitely be looking for Tom Brady 2.0 anymore, their new GM could be open to a more mobile QB.

Beyond that we need to take OG & OT higher & we need a Mike LB & I don't see one taken and, we need a slot CB and I don't see one taken.

We’re taking another back up safety?

I hate to say this but this looks like a Ron Rivers draft.

Lol...

In this mock NE ended up with Maye. ATL who traded up for #2 took Caleb Williams. Chicago went MHJr and Fashanu with their top two picks. Nabers and Daniels were the top remaining prospects when #8 came up. 

Van Pran can play both C and G. Tackle will have to get solved in FA/before the draft. (Or we can roll with Leno and Wylie again... shutter)

Edgerrin Cooper is probably the top LB coming out. He definitely won't make it to the 3rd, but the value was too good to pass up. Also, could sign someone like Patrick Queen in FA. 

Mike Sainristil is one of the best slot CBs coming out this year. Did you not watch the championship game? 

Oh also, I believe there is a string chance that Kam Curl isn't resigned here. They didn't do it during the season and either a tag or letting him walk is incoming. 

I hate to say this, but your evaluation skills compare to Ron Rivera's not my mock draft. 

Edited by Slappy Mc

16 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Lol...

In this mock NE ended up with Maye. ATL who traded up for #2 took Caleb Williams. Chicago went MHJr and Fashanu with their top two picks. Nabers and Daniels were the top remaining prospects when #8 came up. 

Van Pran can play both C and G. Tackle will have to get solved in FA/before the draft. (Or we can roll with Leno and Wylie again... shutter)

Edgerrin Cooper is probably the top LB coming out. He definitely won't make it to the 3rd, but the value was too good to pass up. Also, could sign someone like Patrick Queen in FA. 

Mike Sainristil is one of the best slot CBs coming out this year. Did you not watch the championship game? 

Oh also, I believe there is a string chance that Kam Curl isn't resigned here. They didn't do it during the season and either a tag or letting him walk is incoming. 

I hate to say this, but your evaluation skills compare to Ron Rivera's not my mock draft. 

Ok, so let me get this straight. We passed on Maye to trade down?

That's your first mistake.

You are right that VanPran could probably play guard, but wouldn't you rather draft an actual guard in R2? a guy who's playing G his entire college career and not a C you hope can make the switch to G?

Edgerrin Cooper & Patrick Queen are WLBs. They play the same position as Jamin Davis, so unless Jamin is at the point finally where he can make the switch to MLB, I wouldn't sign Queen and I wouldn't expect Cooper to fill the MLB position, but sure he can back up Jamin Davis I guess and hopefully show enough to make Jamin expendable next year unless Jamin can transition to MLB this year and play well there.

I apologize, I missed that you took Sanristril. That would be a great pick, I'd even consider taking him in R3 bc I think he's that good and exactly what we need at slot CB.

35 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Ok, so let me get this straight. We passed on Maye to trade down?

That's your first mistake.

Actually, we passed on both Williams and Maye to trade down. 

And I know that there are good deal of people that insist we shouldn't pass on either Maye or Williams (and any QB for that matter), but I disagree with you all. I merely showed a scenario where we drafted a top 3 QB in the Top 10 AND netted future draft capital that will help us tremendously l. 

37 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

You are right that VanPran could probably play guard, but wouldn't you rather draft an actual guard in R2? a guy who's playing G his entire college career and not a C you hope can make the switch to G?

How many Centers get drafted and never play center? Hell, Stromberg was a Center when drafted and only saw time at G last year. I think either Van Pran or Stromberg can find a home at Guard, depending on who looks better at each position. 

39 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Edgerrin Cooper & Patrick Queen are WLBs. They play the same position as Jamin Davis, so unless Jamin is at the point finally where he can make the switch to MLB, I wouldn't sign Queen and I wouldn't expect Cooper to fill the MLB position, but sure he can back up Jamin Davis I guess and hopefully show enough to make Jamin expendable next year unless Jamin can transition to MLB this year and play well there.

Both Edgerrin Cooper and Patrick Queen are listed as ILBs. Jamin Davis won't be on this roster after next season. There is a strong chance the new staff benches him during the season if he continues to be subpar. 

41 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I apologize, I missed that you took Sanristril. That would be a great pick, I'd even consider taking him in R3 bc I think he's that good and exactly what we need at slot CB.

Apology accepted. 

35 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Actually, we passed on both Williams and Maye to trade down. 

And I know that there are good deal of people that insist we shouldn't pass on either Maye or Williams (and any QB for that matter), but I disagree with you all. I merely showed a scenario where we drafted a top 3 QB in the Top 10 AND netted future draft capital that will help us tremendously l. 

How many Centers get drafted and never play center? Hell, Stromberg was a Center when drafted and only saw time at G last year. I think either Van Pran or Stromberg can find a home at Guard, depending on who looks better at each position. 

Both Edgerrin Cooper and Patrick Queen are listed as ILBs. Jamin Davis won't be on this roster after next season. There is a strong chance the new staff benches him during the season if he continues to be subpar. 

Apology accepted. 

Oh snap. I had no clue you passed on Williams too lol. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

🤷🏼‍♂️

Ya but also this: 

Lamar Jackson - selected #32 overall (5th QB taken)

CJ Stroud - selected #2 overall (2nd QB taken) 

Josh Allen - selected #7 overall (3rd QB taken)

Patrick Mahomes - selected #10 overall (2nd QB Taken)

Baker Mayfield - not on the team that drafted him. 

Jared Goff - not on the team that drafted him. 

Jordan Love - selected #26 overall (4th QB taken)

Brock Purdy - ridiculous 7th round luck

The only 2 guys left that were the top QBs in their class but still in the playoffs are on different teams now, meaning taken a reclamation project of a highly drafted QB might not be a bad idea (only example I can come up with right now that would be available that fits this description is Zach Wilson, and yuck). 

All of the rest of the guys were not the top QBs taken in their classes. And there has been some serious successes taking QBs outside of the top 5. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Ya but also this: 

The only 2 guys left that were the top QBs in their class but still in the playoffs are on different teams now, meaning taken a reclamation project of a highly drafted QB might not be a bad idea (only example I can come up with right now that would be available that fits this description is Zach Wilson, and yuck). 

All of the rest of the guys were not the top QBs taken in their classes. And there has been some serious successes taking QBs outside of the top 5. 

I think QB draft history is so hard to base success off of because most QBs don't have instant success in a consistent upwards trending line.  They require opportunities and patience.  It seems that has a lot to do with why they are mostly 1st round picks.  My basis is that when a franchise invests that much into them they feel forced to give them opportunities even when they struggle.  If you draft one in the 5th round you can walk away with no regrets pretty fast.  

Purdy was the last man standing so san fran had no other choice and then he made the most of his opportunity.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

Ya but also this: 

That’s fine but they're still mostly 1st rnd picks.