New Regime Options

beardown3231

3 hours ago, Sugashane said:

The bad part is we won't know for a few years if Poles is good or bad too. 

I think Poles' is likely safe: I think George will see firing Aberflus but not Poles as a safe, compromise move that acknowledges things went wrong but also doesn't do anything too extreme and saves a little cash (which I'm not sure matters as much as legend says it does)

But I do think we can evaluate a lot of what Poles does now.

GOOD:  Really set the team up well in case Fields didn't work with the trade.  Extremely good at putting together teams to compete for #1 draft picks.  Has the Bears in very good cap health with draft resources.

BAD:  Wasted two years to figure out the QB probably isn't the guy.  Incoherent plan last year in which they were both buying high with trades and some FA, but also dirt cheap to leave the OL bereft to the point where it muddied the single most important player evaluation.  FA evaluations are dog****.  Draft talent remains to be seen but there are no obvious stars, best move might be getting a starting LT in r5. 

If it were me I would toss everyone out but it doesn't seem like a very Bears move.  I would bet a significant part of it comes down to how much he personally likes, or possibly more important, how comfortable George feels with Poles.   

*Not sure if this is good or bad, but if you need a guy to convert high picks into later low picks, he is extremely efficient and maybe when he gets a 4th for Fields it'll be complete. 

Edited by BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW

Interesting nugget

https://www.si.com/college/usc/football/rumors-lincoln-riley-reportedly-showing-interest-in-nfl-head-coaching-jobs-jf1989

Apparently Caleb Williams' coach is "putting out feelers" regarding a NFL coaching gig.... and the expectation is that he'd try and stick with Caleb.

I'll be real though.... I need to see his plan for an offensive scheme, because that air raid garbage doesn't work in the NFL..... Also he gets ZERO say in his defensive coordinator....  Also I have no idea why he'd leave a cushy job for what's likely to be less money in the NFL with WAY less job security....

3 hours ago, Epyon said:

Interesting nugget

https://www.si.com/college/usc/football/rumors-lincoln-riley-reportedly-showing-interest-in-nfl-head-coaching-jobs-jf1989

Apparently Caleb Williams' coach is "putting out feelers" regarding a NFL coaching gig.... and the expectation is that he'd try and stick with Caleb.

I'll be real though.... I need to see his plan for an offensive scheme, because that air raid garbage doesn't work in the NFL..... Also he gets ZERO say in his defensive coordinator....  Also I have no idea why he'd leave a cushy job for what's likely to be less money in the NFL with WAY less job security....

No thanks. A few weeks ago I'd be excited. Now, I've seen enough. Loyal to a fault, doesn't run the ball enough, horrible game manager, etc. He can go home and the Dallas job or stay in LA and take the Chargers gig. The Bears hiring him would be a huge mistake

With all of that being said, Scott Wolf is a bad reporter with almost no sources so I doubt any of this is true. Riley just uprooted his family once for $11M a year in SoCal. Would he do it again for Chicago or really anywhere else? As I mentioned, the Chargers job makes the most sense.

Edited by beardown3231

• 2 weeks later...

The more I look at the options for a new HC the more I want Harbaugh and the biggest reason for it is I don't believe any one man is coming into this franchise and fixing it all...

I love Ben Johnson as an offensive innovator & play caller and if he is the guy would be beyond excited with what he could do with Fields or a rookie QB...but who is he bringing with him? Who is he going to bring in to sort the defence? Who are the experienced coaches that can turn around the whole team and not just the QB position?...

With Harbaugh you know he is bringing some quality coaches with him...you know that he has a direct route into one of the best coaching staffs in all of the NFL with Baltimore and we have seen the cross over between coaches with Baltimore & Michigan with Mike MacDonald & Jesse Minter among others...that Baltimore team overcome injuries seemingly every year to put a top 8 defence on the field...getting a bit deeper into it look at all the great front office personnel who have came out of Baltimore if we need to make a change higher up the chain...it's a first rate organisation so the opportunity to get a HC in Harbaugh who is a proven winner and has developed QBs plus his staff at Michigan (which is really good as well) and some of the links to that Baltimore organisation might be too good an opportunity to pass up IMO.  

5 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

The more I look at the options for a new HC the more I want Harbaugh and the biggest reason for it is I don't believe any one man is coming into this franchise and fixing it all...

I love Ben Johnson as an offensive innovator & play caller and if he is the guy would be beyond excited with what he could do with Fields or a rookie QB...but who is he bringing with him? Who is he going to bring in to sort the defence? Who are the experienced coaches that can turn around the whole team and not just the QB position?...

With Harbaugh you know he is bringing some quality coaches with him...you know that he has a direct route into one of the best coaching staffs in all of the NFL with Baltimore and we have seen the cross over between coaches with Baltimore & Michigan with Mike MacDonald & Jesse Minter among others...that Baltimore team overcome injuries seemingly every year to put a top 8 defence on the field...getting a bit deeper into it look at all the great front office personnel who have came out of Baltimore if we need to make a change higher up the chain...it's a first rate organisation so the opportunity to get a HC in Harbaugh who is a proven winner and has developed QBs plus his staff at Michigan (which is really good as well) and some of the links to that Baltimore organisation might be too good an opportunity to pass up IMO.  

Johnson is still my HC1 option but you raise a valid point. I go back to my favorite scenario of a defensive HC getting fired so you pair the young innovative offensive mind with a vet as DC. Let Johnson get his feet wet as a HC slowly, like how the Rams did with McVay and how Pace tried to do with Nagy. The formula wasn't the issue with Nagy, he was just a trash choice. I'm hoping for a TB collapse after they are out of the top 4 -5 pick range, get Bowles in there. 

But like I mentioned here the Harbaughs hire from one another so he might take Weaver from BAL or someone, just hopefully they stay away from a few guys like Rob Ryan. Guys that had their 15 minutes then reverted back to irrelevance. But that was how Jim and Fangio got hooked up, he connected to BAL and then Jim got him to Stanford and then you see how well regarded Vic is *** a defensive mind. He has enough connections that he should do well, and his staffs consistently develop solid coaches at least at a coordinator level. With Jim I feel like you kind of have to prepare for him to find his way out of the franchise. Develop a guy under him to take over or something, because he seems to get out of each job even when his performance has never been the issue. Maybe Warren is a big enough ***hole to keep things balanced or Poles is able to be a soothsayer because Harbaugh could keep him in his job, so he handles Jim's problems to keep that big paycheck coming in. 

3 hours ago, Sugashane said:

connected to BAL and then Jim got him to Stanford and then you see how well regarded Vic is *** a defensive mind. 

Please don't edit this, it took my mildly hungover brain about five minutes to figure out what happened. 

As to the hire,  I just want them to have a new HC and staff with their new QB next year. Ideally GM would be fresh as well, but holy cow am I tired of coaches not liking their QB and everyone having an excuse. 

/s

Edited by Sugashane
I do what I want.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Johnson is still my HC1 option but you raise a valid point. I go back to my favorite scenario of a defensive HC getting fired so you pair the young innovative offensive mind with a vet as DC. Let Johnson get his feet wet as a HC slowly, like how the Rams did with McVay and how Pace tried to do with Nagy. The formula wasn't the issue with Nagy, he was just a trash choice. I'm hoping for a TB collapse after they are out of the top 4 -5 pick range, get Bowles in there. 

But like I mentioned here the Harbaughs hire from one another so he might take Weaver from BAL or someone, just hopefully they stay away from a few guys like Rob Ryan. Guys that had their 15 minutes then reverted back to irrelevance. But that was how Jim and Fangio got hooked up, he connected to BAL and then Jim got him to Stanford and then you see how well regarded Vic is *** a defensive mind. He has enough connections that he should do well, and his staffs consistently develop solid coaches at least at a coordinator level. With Jim I feel like you kind of have to prepare for him to find his way out of the franchise. Develop a guy under him to take over or something, because he seems to get out of each job even when his performance has never been the issue. Maybe Warren is a big enough ***hole to keep things balanced or Poles is able to be a soothsayer because Harbaugh could keep him in his job, so he handles Jim's problems to keep that big paycheck coming in. 

I mean if we could get Johnson & Bowles then yeah instantly sign me up because I think Bowles has enough connections to bring a quality staff with him on at least the defensive side of the ball...

What I don't want is a Jonathan Gannon situation in Arizona where he is bringing in first timers here there and everywhere...I think this roster has enough talent (and given the resources we have in terms of cap space/draft picks) to be pretty competitive within this division quickly with the right coaches here...that probably why I give the edge to Harbaugh but yeah when we get to Black Monday if plenty of defensive HCs get let go (Bowles/Vrabel/Allen) and we are confident we can land one who will work alongside Johnson then that would make a big difference.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I mean if we could get Johnson & Bowles then yeah instantly sign me up because I think Bowles has enough connections to bring a quality staff with him on at least the defensive side of the ball...

What I don't want is a Jonathan Gannon situation in Arizona where he is bringing in first timers here there and everywhere...I think this roster has enough talent (and given the resources we have in terms of cap space/draft picks) to be pretty competitive within this division quickly with the right coaches here...that probably why I give the edge to Harbaugh but yeah when we get to Black Monday if plenty of defensive HCs get let go (Bowles/Vrabel/Allen) and we are confident we can land one who will work alongside Johnson then that would make a big difference.

I mean you could have just said an Eberflus situation since he had a first time HC, first time playcaller, and first time DC all ****ting the bed together. lol

I do agree though. If I have a new HC and especially if that HC is playcalling I want as much veteran leadership around him as possible on the other side of the ball. of potentially fired HCs Staley is the defensive guy I want nothing to do with. Yeah the story of being a LB coach here then "coming home" makes for a feel good story, but if that is happening make it Harbaugh's crazy ***. I mean we could potentially see all these emotions in one week on the Bears' sideline. 

12243480_813903972051366_4750412052764883087_n.jpg (960×684)

hi-res-185446366-head-coach-jim-harbaugh

jim-harbaugh-makes-his-sophies-choice.jp

usa-today-7668398.0.jpg

brazzers.0.0.jpg

16603307-large.jpg

angryharbaugh1.jpg

madjim.0.gif

jim-harbaugh-102615-usnews-getty-ftr_13y

1 minute ago, Sugashane said:

I mean you could have just said an Eberflus situation since he had a first time HC, first time playcaller, and first time DC all ****ting the bed together. lol

I do agree though. If I have a new HC and especially if that HC is playcalling I want as much veteran leadership around him as possible on the other side of the ball. of potentially fired HCs Staley is the defensive guy I want nothing to do with. Yeah the story of being a LB coach here then "coming home" makes for a feel good story, but if that is happening make it Harbaugh's crazy ***. I mean we could potentially see all these emotions in one week on the Bears' sideline. 

12243480_813903972051366_4750412052764883087_n.jpg (960×684)

hi-res-185446366-head-coach-jim-harbaugh

jim-harbaugh-makes-his-sophies-choice.jp

usa-today-7668398.0.jpg

brazzers.0.0.jpg

16603307-large.jpg

angryharbaugh1.jpg

madjim.0.gif

jim-harbaugh-102615-usnews-getty-ftr_13y

Yeah Staley was left well and truly off the list...

Dennis Allen is the guy I would like the most (Don't think Saleh is let go) followed by Bowles then Vrabel (slight concern he would be too much for a first time HC to handle).

Give me all the Harbaugh emotions...as long as we are winning haha.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Hey!!! Kevin, Kevin Warren...like this but the entire Bears coaching staff hahaha...

Wait.  Did the AD just step in over HC's head and fire the HC's son?  And keep the dad?

To me that would be really awkward.

I would probably resign rather than have that forced on me.  Does Kirk Ferentz really still need a job?

I get that with that performance he should have been let go ages ago and this is pure nepotism at this point, but still.  It is his son. 

He should probably have done something himself before he got to this point.

I will say over last 15 years as an aggregate of me scouting OL and TEs in draft the Iowa players are by far the most fundamentally sound in blocking in college.

They are often more fundamentally sound than many pro teams.  Which is saying something.  Pros have more years under their belt and way more time to work fundamentals and their craft.

Just now, dll2000 said:

I will say over last 15 years as an aggregate of me scouting OL and TEs in draft the Iowa players are by far the most fundamentally sound in blocking in college.

They are often more fundamentally sound than many pro teams.  Which is saying something.  Pros have more years under their belt and way more time to work fundamentals and their craft.

James Daniels actually regressed in fundamentals while with the Bears in his 2nd year and subsequent years here.

It was amazing. 

• Like 1