2023 GDT 2-1 Steelers visit 1-2 Texans

Steeler Hitman

2023 Week #4 Who Ya Got This Week?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Do the Steelers continue to improve on offense and find a way to win in Houston?

• Yes. Pickett and Canada take another step forward.
    • No. Typical big-headed Steelers who think they are all that and get humiliated and lose.
    • Tie. No satisfaction. Like kissing your great granny.

9 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

A QB with decent pocket awareness and mobility takes a subtle step to the left and has a few more seconds to make a throw in my opinion. But he also has 0 trust in the o-line and it’s hard to blame him for that. It all sucks, it’s all bad. 

https://x.com/blitz_burgh/status/1709355457117069645?s=61&t=qcRuXjH2St1oLeP8Aph7Og

Like this

Here’s where I’m at with Kenny:

He’s a bust because we put him into an offense that was limited to begin with. It was a poor OL, no go to guy, no identity, with a OC who clearly isn’t it. I’m trying to think of all the young QBs and I can’t really think of any that would have success stepping into this offense. 

If we move on from him then fine. But if we bring in another QB I don’t expect better results if there’s no change to C, RT, WR1, WR3, OC. I would expect another QB to fail if those 5 things stay the same. 

I hope Weidl has Khans ear to remind him what Philly did. They built the offense then went to get the QB. And so have many other teams that ended up successful. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

Here’s where I’m at with Kenny:

He’s a bust because we put him into an offense that was limited to begin with. It was a poor OL, no go to guy, no identity, with a OC who clearly isn’t it. I’m trying to think of all the young QBs and I can’t really think of any that would have success stepping into this offense. 

If we move on from him then fine. But if we bring in another QB I don’t expect better results if there’s no change to C, RT, WR1, WR3, OC. I would expect another QB to fail if those 5 things stay the same. 

I hope Weidl has Khans ear to remind him what Philly did. They built the offense then went to get the QB. And so have many other teams that ended up successful. 

I dont disagree with most of this, but I also feel like you are making too many excuses for Kenny.  

Canada's offense probably limits Kenny and his growth, but alot of his issues are just that...HIS issues.    Kenny has poor pocket presence, mediocre mechanics and very spotty accuracy.     His issues are certainly exasperated by poor playcalling and play designs, but there are alot of things Kenny has zero excuses for.

Again, Id like to see him in an offense with all the things you said we need, but Im not convinced his issues are correctable.   I think Kenny can be better...but I dont see and have never seen a franchise caliber QB in him.

I wouldn't be reaching for a QB next year, but they shouldn't pass on one they like either.

• Like 1

My current mock: 
Round 1: Donovan Jackson Guard Ohio State
Round 2: J.J. McCarthy QB Michigan
Round 3: Max Melton CB Rutgers
Round 4: Dorian Singer WR USC
Round 4b: Bryce Foster Center Texas A&M
Round 6: Jaylon Carlies Safety Missouri
Round 7: K.J. Jefferson QB Arkansas

5 hours ago, 43M said:

I dont disagree with most of this, but I also feel like you are making too many excuses for Kenny.  

Canada's offense probably limits Kenny and his growth, but alot of his issues are just that...HIS issues.    Kenny has poor pocket presence, mediocre mechanics and very spotty accuracy.     His issues are certainly exasperated by poor playcalling and play designs, but there are alot of things Kenny has zero excuses for.

Again, Id like to see him in an offense with all the things you said we need, but Im not convinced his issues are correctable.   I think Kenny can be better...but I dont see and have never seen a franchise caliber QB in him.

I wouldn't be reaching for a QB next year, but they shouldn't pass on one they like either.

So you say I make excuses, then say the same things I’m saying?

Edit - first off if you haven’t read my post a few pages back about myself, please do read it. 

Second - Taking the 4th down play, it’s a good example of how his issues have been exacerbated by the situation. When Seumalo is “beat” to the inside, but with his already early “flight” response to fight or flight, he doesn’t stand there to take the shot, he over reacts to it by walking into the sack. So that’s the part on him.

But where we’ve made it worse is that in his 16 games as the starter he is top 5 in being hit. Combine that with terrible routes being run he fails to trust his eyes, then he does the worst thing of looking at the rush, which elevates that flight response. so we made his response to that worse rather than having an easy executable plan in the duress situation. 

The only other thing that may be construed as an “excuse”, is my belief that this offense is so bad, and not nearly as talented as others, that we would have ruined just about any QB. That’s not meant to be an excuse. That me condemning previous FO, current FO, past coaches, current coaches for failure to build the offense properly so a QB can step in and succeed.  

Edited by warfelg

5 hours ago, DR43 said:

My current mock: 
Round 1: Donovan Jackson Guard Ohio State
Round 2: J.J. McCarthy QB Michigan
Round 3: Max Melton CB Rutgers
Round 4: Dorian Singer WR USC
Round 4b: Bryce Foster Center Texas A&M
Round 6: Jaylon Carlies Safety Missouri
Round 7: K.J. Jefferson QB Arkansas

I am not taking a guard with a top 10 pick

• Like 2

Last time the Steelers changed coaching responsibilities mid season was 1998 when Cowher took away play calling from Ray Sherman mid-season. 

Since 1983 5 of 12 OC’s have come from outside the franchise. 

1983 was the first year we had a coach called an offensive coordinator. 

The Steelers have never fired a coordinator or coach in season since the Rooney’s took over. 

Canada ain’t going anywhere and it’s a money issue. 

Edited by warfelg

53 minutes ago, warfelg said:

PFF’s NFL Stock Exchange’s mock has us going Graham Barton at 21. 

Had us passing on Emeka Embuka, Leonard Taylor, Roman Dunes, Nate Wiggins, Dallas Turner. Ugh. Hate this pick with what’s out there. Lame and tired pick. 

So what did they get for trading down so far?