Week 4 Thread: (2-1) Commanders at (3-0) Eagles - GIF THEME Rocky

MikeT14

8 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Fair enough. I appreciate the response. Yeah, I do feel he’s been our most disruptive collectively over the last 3 weeks. He’s been consistently in the other teams backfield getting sacks, hits, TFL and at least getting a hand on the QB. I’m happy about. I’m encouraged and I think as time goes on and more of the rust comes off he’ll get even better. But it could go either way as well. Payne has been a monster. Love him. 

100%

I hope JDR schemes up some better stuff from our D-Line. One thing I have been surprised about is the lack of stunts and different rushing patterns. I feel like we just rush 4 in a traditional gap for gap capacity and have no exotic rush packages or stunts. I also could go the rest of the season without seeing any of our D-Line in pass coverage or spying because those have not worked at all this year. 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Scott Land said:

So you get pissed when he does his speed rush outside because he gets too far outside. You get pissed when he just does a bullrush but keeps contain, probably get pissed when he does his spin inside because the qb can get outside. What exactly do you want him to do besides get 2+ sacks every game? A lot of times his bullrush is putting the tackle in the QB's lap and affects throws. Ya I wish he could get a sack every play too but not gonna happen. 

It's actually not. I was watching him a lot yesterday for whatever reason. He often did the move and then just kinda ... I dunno. If you see it differently, fine. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I also want to point out that the same things I said about buying into Chase Young apply to Montez Sweat. Show me a truly dominant performance and we can talk, but so far I would call their performances good or above average.

Sweat's week 1 game was pretty dominant. 

• Like 1

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Sweat's week 1 game was pretty dominant. 

For sure it was his best game of the year. I felt that a lot of our guys had good games that day too. One of the reasons I was more impressed with Chase's sack against Philly yesterday is that it came at a time when we really needed someone to step up. I feel that we were kind of feasting week 1 against Arizona's oline. We had 11 TFL in that game and I would call it more of a team effort.

(This is not intended to take away from Sweat who was very good in week 1)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

What can Chase do? Have a truly dominant game like any top tier DEs. At no point this season or even during his DROTY season has he looked "unblockable". If he showed out and had that type of game, I would buy in for sure. 

Also, its crazy that you can say he was our most disruptive DL, considering Daron Payne has been far and away our most consistent and productive d-lineman this year. Plus he shows effort consistently and doesn't appear to take plays off like his teammates. 

*Edit*

I also want to point out that the same things I said about buying into Chase Young apply to Montez Sweat. Show me a truly dominant performance and we can talk, but so far I would call their performances good or above average. 

All of this ^^^^.

If I'm handing that large of a bag to someone, they'd better be dominating. So far, while they both have been pretty good, I've yet to see a dominating game from either of them 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Because he is supposed to be a generational talent. I want Bosa. I want Watt. I don't think what he is doing is worth what he would be paid. He's been pretty good, but he is still disappearing. I don't see that from other elite guys. You wanna pay him pretty good money? Do it. But let's not evaporate a lot of cap yet if we don't have to. And if we have to franchise him because it is warranted? Then it's worth it. To me, there is 100% no shame in waiting it out and seeing how it went. 

Again...all...of...this ^^^

1 hour ago, Scott Land said:

So you get pissed when he does his speed rush outside because he gets too far outside. You get pissed when he just does a bullrush but keeps contain, probably get pissed when he does his spin inside because the qb can get outside. What exactly do you want him to do besides get 2+ sacks every game? A lot of times his bullrush is putting the tackle in the QB's lap and affects throws. Ya I wish he could get a sack every play too but not gonna happen. 

For myself, I want him to win the vast majority of reps where he is one on one.  I don't expect that to be a sack, but I do expect disruption.  I am not seeing that.  That is what we need to see for him to earn a big deal.  He looks decent, but he isn't a DE people are scared of right now.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lavar703 said:

So Chase Young is on pace for 14 sacks and Sweat is on pace for 16 sacks. Again, not picking up the 5th year option on Chase was a disaster move. Unless they can work a deal out with one and tag the other we’re basically going to lose one of these guys for nothing. 

Yeah man. We’ve been on the same page about this all offseason. My hope would be that they can work out a LTD w/ one of them before March & then tag the other while trying to work out a LTD but they can’t have a player play on the franchise tag again. They gave to trade that tagged player before training camp so we can get back more than just a freakin 3rd round comp for them.

2 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

100%

I hope JDR schemes up some better stuff from our D-Line. One thing I have been surprised about is the lack of stunts and different rushing patterns. I feel like we just rush 4 in a traditional gap for gap capacity and have no exotic rush packages or stunts. I also could go the rest of the season without seeing any of our D-Line in pass coverage or spying because those have not worked at all this year. 

He won’t! JDR’s D is a bend don’t break vanilla 🍨 D. I hate our D & the lack of creativity. If our D ever dominates a game it will be bc Bruce Allen/Kyle Smith/Gruden & Ron/Mayhew stacked the D w/ 1st round talent in the front 7 & now at one CB spot.

I feel like our D has potential to be much better but it isn’t schemed up by our DC to put the players in place to get pressures w/o just beating their man 1 on 1 or even a double team to get to the QB.

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

All of this ^^^^.

If I'm handing that large of a bag to someone, they'd better be dominating. So far, while they both have been pretty good, I've yet to see a dominating game from either of them 

The question becomes - it’s like with Rak & Preston Smith - if you’re not retaining at least one of them then you’re opening up a huge hole at both DE spots so we’ll have to sign another good DE and draft someone high to replace them.

Then, that has a ripple effect on replacing our offensive tackles on the OL & upgrading Mike LB with earlier picks in the draft to get better there.

I think at minimum one of them has to be re-signed even if they’re good but not great bc we can’t have 2 huge holes at DE.

You guys will probably think I'm nuts. But with Chase Young putting up good numbers in his 3 games?

I'd look to secretly shop him around right now. We're gonna lose him for nothing after the season anyways. Why not land an important piece to this team in the process for THIS year?

Trade him for a much needed player this season & then we can just focus on working on a deal for Montez Sweat after the season. ( but have the franchise tag just in case)

I'm sick & tired of losing players for nothing.

If Cousins was so damn good, why didn't we get multiple 1st Rd picks for his ***.

Same for Trent Williams.

Sorry, if Colts would consider RB Johnathan Taylor for Chase Young straight up?

How do you not consider that deal. And we don't even need a RB. But I would do it! Make a strength on the team, elite.

7 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

You guys will probably think I'm nuts. But with Chase Young putting up good numbers in his 3 games?

I'd look to secretly shop him around right now. We're gonna lose him for nothing after the season anyways. Why not land an important piece to this team in the process for THIS year?

Trade him for a much needed player this season & then we can just focus on working on a deal for Montez Sweat after the season. ( but have the franchise tag just in case)

If Cousins was so damn good, why didn't we get multiple 1st Rd picks for his ***.

Same for Trent Williams.

How do you not consider that deal. And we don't even need a RB. But I would do it! Make a strength on the team, elite.

Why focus on Sweat? I don’t understand the obsession with locking down Sweat? He’s like three years older and is just as inconsistent. I love the guy but he just disappears for stretches at a time and it’s like it goes completely unnoticed. You don’t consider it because if this continues a 25-year old premier pass rusher has exponentially more value than a RB on a big contract. 

And the reason we didn’t get multiple first round picks for Kirk and Trent is because the owner was an idiot. That is the simplest and only answer needed. He’s the reason. 

Edited by lavar703
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

The question becomes - it’s like with Rak & Preston Smith - if you’re not retaining at least one of them then you’re opening up a huge hole at both DE spots so we’ll have to sign another good DE and draft someone high to replace them.

Then, that has a ripple effect on replacing our offensive tackles on the OL & upgrading Mike LB with earlier picks in the draft to get better there.

I think at minimum one of them has to be re-signed even if they’re good but not great bc we can’t have 2 huge holes at DE.

I will say that getting "good defensive ends" doesn't mean we have to draft them high or pay an arm and a leg to sign them in FA. 

Maxx Crosby 4th round, Josh Sweat 4th round, Danielle Hunter 3rd round, Trey Hendrickson 3rd Round, Josh Uche 2nd round, Zadarius Smith 4th round, etc*. 

It isn't impossible to get a quality DE outside of drafting them in the 1st and I absolutely would not allow this staff to draft another DLineman in the 1st, if I had any say. 

I expect one of them to get franchised if they perform well and essentially told, "good job for that season, now do it again if you want the LTD."

*I could have listed more, especially historically from non-active players, but I think I listed enough to make the point. 

19 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Why focus on Sweat? I don’t understand the obsession with locking down Sweat? He’s like three years older and is just as inconsistent. I love the guy but he just disappears for stretches at a time and it’s like it goes completely unnoticed. You don’t consider it because if this continues a 25-year old premier pass rusher has exponentially more value than a RB on a big contract. 

This post is exactly why, before the season, I suggested that neither were going to get a LTD (barring a historic season).

To answer your question however, Sweat had a huge lead over Chase before the season on earning a LTD. A lot of it has to do with availability. Also, Sweats stats are simply just better than Chase's. Even this year (I know Chase missed week 1) Sweat has the advantage on his production. 

Chase: 2.5 sacks, 7 tackles, 2 assist, 3 TFL, 4 QB hits

Montez: 3 sacks, 12 tackles, 3 assist, 4 TFL, 7 QB hits, 2 FF.

If neither of them separate from each other, I do feel that Sweat would earn the contract before Young, but unless either of them break double digit sacks and show true game changing ability, I don't expect either to be resigned to a LTD.

I know this opinion isn't popular around here, but I do think one could earn a LTD, but the likelihood that both are gone is still high, IMO. 

39 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Same for Trent Williams.

We were getting offered the #2 overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft by the 49ers bc Kyle Shanahan wanted Kirk so badly. Dan Snyder wouldn’t allow Bruce Allen to even talk to the 49ers bc Dan hated the Shanhan’s so much.

So, we could’ve had the #2 pick in the draft in 2017 and been able to draft Mahomes or DaShaun Watson to replace Kirk.

If Dan hadn’t had a stick so far up his butt about the Shanahan’s then we’d be a Super Bowl contender w/ either one of those QBs.

• Like 1