Rank the 32 Starters at QB

Tank4Drake

4 hours ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Herbert, Dak, Purdy and Goff over Love is quite a statement.

Herbert has played on stacked offenses and doesn't have a playoff win yet.

The "stacked offense" is a myth. Keenan is awesome. MW is an inconsistent big play guy who can't get open or stay on the field. He has 2 1000 yard seasons. He has been in the league for 7 years. Ekeler is a TD vulture who offers little else. His catches are screens and dump offs, not anything actually downfield. They have essentially no speed on offense besides Jalen Guyton, who sucks. It's not the worst situation ever, but The Bengals, Dolphins, and 49ers weapons all clear.

Dak has had an elite supporting cast his entire career and never made it past the 2nd round.

Purdy has been incredible, especially for the last pick in the draft but he's arguably the 6th best player on his own offense(Trent, Aiyuk, Deebo, CMC, Kittle)

I agree with both of these statements, though I feel Dak has been let down by coaching a fair bit.

Goff is a game manager. The second pressure gets to him he crumbles. 

I think this is a bit unfair. I don't think Goff is the same guy he was in LA, where McVay essentially had to hold his hand.

Love in his 1st year starting is putting up better numbers than any QB in the league throwing to all rookies and 2nd year players.

Love struggled early in the year. He lit it up down the stretch, but so did TLAW last year, and he floundered. I think it's fair to say Love's weapons have overperformed expectations as well. HOWEVER, I really like Love, and he's pretty much penciled in at 11 for me. Depending on how the rest of the playoffs go, he can tremendously rise. The only thing holding him back is lack of game time and exposure right now. There are times where I say "he literally looks like Aaron Rodgers right now". He just needs to prove his consistency.

15 hours ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Herbert, Dak, Purdy and Goff over Love is quite a statement.

Herbert and Purdy I can get.  The other two, not so much.  Jared Goff is a system QB.  He's really good when he can protect the ball, but they're bad when teams manage to take the ball away.  In games where Goff throws an interceptions, the Lions are 4-4.  When he doesn't, they're 8-1.  And Detroit (Ben Johnson) does a GREAT job at trying to keep things simple for Jared Goff.  Detroit has the 4th lowest IAY/PA at 6.7 yards.  Compare that to Jordan Love who 5th at 8.5 yards.

Dak (IMO) is a regular season QB.  He's CMP% of 67%, TD/INT ratio of 2.73, and ANY/A of 7.00 in the regular season.  In the playoffs, his CMP% of 64.5%, TD/INT ratio of 2, and ANY/A of 6.30.  Granted, it's only been 1 playoff game for Jordan Love, so more games are going to be necessary to form an opinion on him in that regard.

Justin Herbert is a byproduct of poor coaching and a bad defense.  They've been a bottom 10 defense in 3 out of the 4 seasons he's been in the league, and the one time they weren't bottom 10 they were 11th.  Put him on a better team with a better coach, and they're a playoff team.  As for Purdy, he's a PERFECT fit for their offense. Yes, he plays with some great offensive weapons, but he's a better (and healthier) version of Jimmy G.  And we know how well Jimmy G ran that offense.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Jared Goff is a system QB.  He's really good when he can protect the ball, but they're bad when teams manage to take the ball away.  In games where Goff throws an interceptions, the Lions are 4-4.  When he doesn't, they're 8-1.  And Detroit (Ben Johnson) does a GREAT job at trying to keep things simple for Jared Goff.  Detroit has the 4th lowest IAY/PA at 6.7 yards.  Compare that to Jordan Love who 5th at 8.5 yards.

GB is 1-6 when Love throws an INT and 9-2 when he doesn't. 

I helped you out here since you forgot to add that in your "Compare that to Jordan Love.." section. 

As for IAY/PA, Burrow was at 6.8 yards in 2022. Compare that to Justin Fields at 9.1 yards. Doesn't look like that stat really tells you anything on its own. 

Traverse City doesn't have their cherry festival until July. 

3 hours ago, Jameson_Neat said:

GB is 1-6 when Love throws an INT and 9-2 when he doesn't. 

I helped you out here since you forgot to add that in your "Compare that to Jordan Love.." section. 

As for IAY/PA, Burrow was at 6.8 yards in 2022. Compare that to Justin Fields at 9.1 yards. Doesn't look like that stat really tells you anything on its own. 

Traverse City doesn't have their cherry festival until July. 

Stats without context don't mean much, so if the concept was lost on you than that's on me.  Jared Goff (in his 7th year as a starting QB) has a career INT% of 2.0, which is 0.1% less than Jordan Love..  Jared Goff this year had the 29th lowest IAY/PA at 6.7 yards per attempt.  Jordan Love (n his 1st year as a starting QB) was 5th at 8.5 yards per attempt.  From an experience perspective, Jared Goff is less likely to improve upon what he's done over the course of his career compared to Jordan Love.  We're seeing what peak Jordan Love Is capable of doing.  You watch Jared Goff play in that offense, and they do a GREAT job minimizing mistakes.  One plays a very conservative style offense, and one doesn't.  And I think we all know which one is which.  If Jordan Love starts turning the ball over more like he did early in the season, than we can have this discussion again.  His INT% since that Pittsburgh game has been 0.3%.  The first 9 games, his INT% was 3.5%.  That's part of the reason why what CJ Stroud has done this year is so impressive.  Leading the league in INT% as a rookie is unheard of.  Even if he was closer to Geno Smith in terms of TD%, he's been by far the most impressive rookie.

As for the Joe Burrow/Justin Fields comparison, Joe Burrow completed 68% of his passes and an INT rate of 2.0 in 2022.  Justin Fields (that same year I'm assuming) completed 60% of his passes and an INT% of 3.5%.  And the other part of the issue was the sack%.  Justin Fields was at 14.7% while Joe Burrow was at 6.3%.  IAY/PA has value if you understand what it's trying to show.  It's basically telling you how aggressive or conservative the play calling is.  The lower the IAY/PA, the more conservative the game is called.  The more aggressive is when the number goes up.

41 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Stats without context don't mean much, so if the concept was lost on you than that's on me.  Jared Goff (in his 7th year as a starting QB) has a career INT% of 2.0, which is 0.1% less than Jordan Love..  Jared Goff this year had the 29th lowest IAY/PA at 6.7 yards per attempt.  Jordan Love (n his 1st year as a starting QB) was 5th at 8.5 yards per attempt.  From an experience perspective, Jared Goff is less likely to improve upon what he's done over the course of his career compared to Jordan Love.  We're seeing what peak Jordan Love Is capable of doing.  You watch Jared Goff play in that offense, and they do a GREAT job minimizing mistakes.  One plays a very conservative style offense, and one doesn't.  And I think we all know which one is which.  If Jordan Love starts turning the ball over more like he did early in the season, than we can have this discussion again.  His INT% since that Pittsburgh game has been 0.3%.  The first 9 games, his INT% was 3.5%.  That's part of the reason why what CJ Stroud has done this year is so impressive.  Leading the league in INT% as a rookie is unheard of.  Even if he was closer to Geno Smith in terms of TD%, he's been by far the most impressive rookie.

As for the Joe Burrow/Justin Fields comparison, Joe Burrow completed 68% of his passes and an INT rate of 2.0 in 2022.  Justin Fields (that same year I'm assuming) completed 60% of his passes and an INT% of 3.5%.  And the other part of the issue was the sack%.  Justin Fields was at 14.7% while Joe Burrow was at 6.3%.  IAY/PA has value if you understand what it's trying to show.  It's basically telling you how aggressive or conservative the play calling is.  The lower the IAY/PA, the more conservative the game is called.  The more aggressive is when the number goes up.

Goff is a check down, over the middle of the field, YAC merchant

Edited by NYRaider

• 2 weeks later...

Top-5 going into next season:

Mahomes- pretty easy choice. KC fans are a lucky bunch. Mahomes is elite, obviously, but pairing him with Reid is unfair and it's why they have so many AFC championships and SB appearances. Great QBs usually have a great coach behind them. Not a slight at Mahomes at all. Montana, Brady, etc...had grea coaches as well. 

Allen- Him and Mahomes are the two best playoff performers. He actually has one of he lowest INT rates of any QB and is top-5 (I believe) in QBR among ALL QBs ever in the playoffs. Hes top-5 ever in the playoffs in 3TD games (close to Mahomes) and tied for 1st in 4TD games. He's also consistently been in the conversation for MVP every year since 2020.

Burrow- Burrow is a savage, but he hasnt been on Allen's or Mahomes' level in the playoffs. His health is also a concern. But man, he's a beast, and could definitely jump to #2 if healthy. 

Lamar- Man, the playoff woes really hold me back from putting him with Allen and Burrow. He's close. I was hoping he'd get his ring this year. Great year from him, and I think he'll be just as good next year. Here's to hoping he gets his ring one of these years.

Herbert- the stench of the Chargers rubs off on him, unfortunately. Put him on the Chiefs, Bills, Ravens, or Bengals, and he'd be considered top-3. 

Edited by WizeGuy

52 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

Top-5 going into next season:

Mahomes- pretty easy choice. KC fans are a lucky bunch. Mahomes is elite, obviously, but pairing him with Reid is unfair and it's why they have so many AFC championships and SB appearances. Great QBs usually have a great coach behind them. Not a slight at Mahomes at all. Montana, Brady, etc...had grea coaches as well. 

Allen- Him and Mahomes are the two best playoff performers. He actually has one of he lowest INT rates of any QB and is top-5 (I believe) in QBR among ALL QBs ever in the playoffs. Hes top-5 ever in the playoffs in 3TD games (close to Mahomes) and tied for 1st in 4TD games. He's also consistently been in the conversation for MVP every year since 2020.

Burrow- Burrow is a savage, but he hasnt been on Allen's or Mahomes' level in the playoffs. His health is also a concern. But man, he's a beast, and could definitely jump to #2 if healthy. 

Lamar- Man, the playoff woes really hold me back from putting him with Allen and Burrow. He's close. I was hoping he'd get his ring this year. Great year from him, and I think he'll be just as good next year. Here's to hoping he gets his ring one of these years.

Herbert- the stench of the Chargers rubs off on him, unfortunately. Put him on the Chiefs, Bills, Ravens, or Bengals, and he'd be considered top-3. 

Define “consistently in mvp convo every year”. Josh got a second place finish in 2020(many would argue that shouldn’t have been the case) and that’s about it 

53 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

Allen- Him and Mahomes are the two best playoff performers. He actually has one of he lowest INT rates of any QB and is top-5 (I believe) in QBR among ALL QBs in the playoffs. Hes top-5 ever in the playoffs in 3TD games (close to Mahomes) and tied for 1st in 4TD games. He's also consistently been in the conversation for MVP every year since 2020.

30 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

Define “consistently in mvp convo every year”. Josh got a second place finish in 2020(many would argue that shouldn’t have been the case) and that’s about it 

He has been a finalist in 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023.

That would be the convo.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

He has been a finalist in 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023.

That would be the convo.

2020-2022, he received 5 total votes…

Is number 9 in the conversation for being bigger than the number 10? 

3 minutes ago, Soko said:

2020-2022, he received 5 total votes…

Is number 9 in the conversation for being bigger than the number 10? 

The question was to define "consistently in the mvp convo every year". Allen has been every year since 2020. 

Finishing 2nd in 2020 and 3rd in 2022 with that little votes speaks more to the winner than anything else. 

10 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

The question was to define "consistently in the mvp convo every year". Allen has been every year since 2020. 

Finishing 2nd in 2020 and 3rd in 2022 with that little votes speaks more to the winner than anything else. 

Again, is 9 in the conversation for being bigger than 10? I don’t really view it as a conversation if one guy is receiving 90%+ of the votes. I mean, 2021 he didn’t even receive any. 

Unless you mean like, in the conversation during midseason? Then I guess that makes sense. Like, Jalen Hurts was in the conversation last year…until he got hurt at the end. So I guess at one point he was in consideration, but not by the time actual voting started. Probably a dozen+ people you could include in any given season, in that sense. 

EDIT: FWIW, I do consider Allen to be the type of guy that could win it in any given year. Just questioning the history of contention, here. It’s not like he was ever close to winning it (again, by the time voting began). 

Edited by Soko

12 minutes ago, Soko said:

Again, is 9 in the conversation for being bigger than 10? I don’t really view it as a conversation if one guy is receiving 90%+ of the votes. I mean, 2021 he didn’t even receive any. 

Unless you mean like, in the conversation during midseason? Then I guess that makes sense. Like, Jalen Hurts was in the conversation last year…until he got hurt at the end. So I guess at one point he was in consideration, but not by the time actual voting started. Probably a dozen+ people you could include in any given season, in that sense. 

EDIT: FWIW, I do consider Allen to be the type of guy that could win it in any given year. Just questioning the history of contention, here. It’s not like he was ever close to winning it (again, by the time voting began). 

You'd have to ask the OP what his definition was of the conversation. My response was to the guy saying Allen was only in it for 2020. Being a finalist those other years IMO at least puts him "in the conversation".