2nd Quarter

Louis Friend

2 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Gibbs is a concern because he is not a RB in the true sense and he was brought in as a passing down type back.

He is trying to do too much and look ahead on the play versus doing a better job securing the ball.

14 catches for 70 yards is gross.  He needs to relax a bit and just let his ability take over versus pressing so hard.

I remember explicitly his drops and was surprised when they happened because they were easy screens/check downs. He is probably just thinking too fast.

• Like 2

Just now, General Tso said:

I remember explicitly his drops and was surprised when they happened because they were easy screens/check downs. He is probably just thinking too fast.

Yea he is looking downfield to see where to go versus actually just getting the ball.  There was a couple times he did this that were not drops but could have been as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Just Want A Title said:

So, one dropped pass is the difference between being ranked 28 and 18.  What is the overall rank of our offense?  Based on the link below I think we will be OK for now:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team

You're talking about the difference between being towards the bottom vs below average. It hasn't been an issue so far. It doesn't mean that it won't come and bite us in the future. It's something to fix if you're a member of the coaching staff. 

If Goff continues at this rate (8.3%) and we use his 2022 snaps (587), that's 48 drops. That's almost 3 per game. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

You're talking about the difference between being towards the bottom vs below average. It hasn't been an issue so far. It doesn't mean that it won't come and bite us in the future. It's something to fix if you're a member of the coaching staff. 

If Goff continues at this rate (8.3%) and we use his 2022 snaps (587), that's 48 drops. That's almost 3 per game. 

Yea it is an issue for sure over the course of the entire season.  That is without the biggest liability (Jamo) having a lot of snaps so it could get worse.

In close games these drops could start to be a big issue so hoping they are focusing on it like you said

1 minute ago, detfan782004 said:

Yea it is an issue for sure over the course of the entire season.  That is without the biggest liability (Jamo) having a lot of snaps so it could get worse.

In close games these drops could start to be a big issue so hoping they are focusing on it like you said

If we are still having this problem in mid-November it is a legitimate issue.  Gibbs and LaPorta are rookies.  Montgomery is in his first year with Goff.  Jameson Williams is a wild-card but you would like to think he will get his head straight as some point.  Heck, Marvin Jones is generally pretty sure-handed had a drop.  I think we are over-reacting and over-analyzing this issue heading into Week 6.  

Just now, Just Want A Title said:

If we are still having this problem in mid-November it is a legitimate issue.  Gibbs and LaPorta are rookies.  Montgomery is in his first year with Goff.  Jameson Williams is a wild-card but you would like to think he will get his head straight as some point.  Heck, Marvin Jones is generally pretty sure-handed had a drop.  I think we are over-reacting and over-analyzing this issue heading into Week 6.  

And I think you are apologizing for every single negative thing said on this forum which has to be exhausting for you.

People can have a differing opinion on things and it not be over reacting or what not.

The data supports the concern period.  Just let it go.  You dont have to go forcing koolaide down on every single post.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

And I think you are apologizing for every single negative thing said on this forum which has to be exhausting for you.

People can have a differing opinion on things and it not be over reacting or what not.

The data supports the concern period.  Just let it go.  You dont have to go forcing koolaide down on every single post.

Weren't you complaining about other posters attacking you?  Seems a but hypocritical given the tone of the post above.   By the way, data is simply numbers without any context.  What was posted was information.  If you had read the information that was posted, you would note the difference between what is a bad problem and league average isn't all that significant at this point.  Thanks for the feedback.

Edited by Just Want A Title

8 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Weren't you complaining about other posters attacking you?  Seems a but hypocritical given the tone of the post above.   By the way, data is simply numbers without any context.  What was posted was information.  If you had read the information that was posted, you would note the difference between what is a bad problem and league average isn't all that significant at this point.  Thanks for the feedback.

i was being sincere it has to be exhausting to feel the need to correct every post that is negative.

Let people have an opinion about the team ...not everything is roses despite how good of start.  The drops are a concern regardless.  Something they need to work on.

That is all he was pointing out.

Edited by detfan782004
  • Like 1

The drops are definitely something we need to clean up.  The fact that the whole team is doing it makes me think they are teaching them to be thinking about their run and need to re-focus on making the catch first.  Nobody on the team has more than 2 drops which is the same as Davante Adams, AJ Brown, Travis Kelce, Deandre Hopkins, Garrett Wilson, Tyreeke Hill, TJ Hockenson, and many more as there are 57 players with at least two drops.  Puka leads the NFL with 6 drops but he has 63 targets and is a rookie so it is expected.  Rashee Rice and Tee Higgins have 4 drops, Calvin Ridley, Mark Andrews, Mike Evans and a bunch of RBs have 3 drops each. 

What that is saying, is that not a single player is the problem, they have all combined to be collectively bad on paper.  If we get a WR via trade, who do you replace?  Laporta will not lose targets and is a top 5 TE per PFF, plus he had a drop on his first drive of the season and only 1 in the 5 games since then.  ARSB, Reynolds and Raymond are all top 20 WRs per PFF and Raymond has zero drops this year so not likely to bench any of them.  Jamo obviously needs to step up but he has three targets on the year so you can't write him off at this point but if anyone loses targets, it will be him which hurts his development.  We need to get him reps and chances to get some value out of that pick and as long as we are spreading out the drops and still winning, then let him learn on the job. 

I will say the drops are an issue.  They can hurt us in games like it did against Seattle when Gibbs dropped that ball that likely would have been a 30+ yard gain late in the game and instead turned into a punt.  We definitely need to work on it, but I also do not think it is anything to freak out about and over react by making roster changes.  Extrapolating our drops over the season 

Another note, we had 1-2 drops per game each game until this past game in which we had 3 drops in the second half while up big.  I will guarantee some of that is due to being up big and losing concentration.  

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

Top 20 

1. Bryce Young - 1
  2. Justin Herbert - 2
  3. Russell Wilson - 3
  4. Kenny Pickett - 3
  5. Derek Carr - 3
  6. Jimmy G - 3
  7. Baker Mayfield - 3
  8. Tua - 4
  9. Justin Fields - 4
  10. Daniel Jones - 4
  11. Brock Purdy - 4
  12. Geno Smith - 4
  13. Desmond Ridder - 5
  14. Deshaun Watson - 5
  15. Mac Jones - 6
  16. Sam Howell - 7
  17. Josh Allen - 7
  18. Jalen Hurts - 7
  19. Joshua Dobbs - 7
  20. Patrick Mahomes - 8
  21. Joe Burrow - 9

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2023/advanced.htm

According to this, we are tied for 3rd with 12, which is 2 ahead of 5th-7th.  So we are 5 drops from being in the top 20.  We also are the worst in the league in drop % at 7.5, just a touch worse than the Chiefs.  

Interestingly enough, 6 of the worst 7 teams on the list are all likely playoff teams (KC, LA Rams, Detroit, Jacksonville, Cinci, Dallas).  Indy is the other in that top 7 and they have a chance at the playoffs too.  

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2023/advanced.htm

According to this, we are tied for 3rd with 12, which is 2 ahead of 5th-7th.  So we are 3 drops from being in the top 20.  We also are the worst in the league in drop % at 7.5, just a touch worse than the Chiefs.  

Interestingly enough, 6 of the worst 7 teams on the list are all likely playoff teams (KC, LA Rams, Detroit, Jacksonville, Cinci, Dallas).  Indy is the other in that top 7 and they have a chance at the playoffs too.  

Probably has something to dye with volume of offensive snaps if I was guessing. Better team are on offense more. Leads to more drops

pure speculation 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...