In Flores We Trust - How Good Can This Defense Be?

cconocool

@Ozzy how many teams have this kind of depth at online that your asking for?

You're also cherry picking stats, considering that just about every outlet that charts players have the Vikings line highly graded and then there's the fact that they just did what they did to the 9ers defense. That was an incredible show of ability, so going back to the first two games is rather poor support of your point.

• Like 1

The point of my post relates to the D and Flores' evolution of scheme.   

So, Ozzy, I appreciate arguments, but completely disagree.   Once the players are weighed and measured, tangibles are racked and stacked.   What doesn't happen on ratings is chemistry with other players and intangibles.

I think all of us need to sit back and see that KOC, Flores and the coaches are able to blend personalities with game plans to be competitive, if not winning games.  

If the D gives up 150 yards rushing, 300 yards passing and 3 TDs, what are the odds of winning?  Let's cheer Flores and Co to keeping opponents out of the end zone and off the field.

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Vikings Defensive Ranks since Week 4:

Yards allowed per play = 3rd
Turnovers forced = 3rd
Rush yards allowed per carry = 5th
QB Pressures = 5th
Sacks = 6th
Total TDs allowed = 9th

VikingAge.com

Vikings are 6th sure maybe but that is inflated because there is a 2 way tie for 3rd, 2 way tie for 4th, 2 way tie for 5th and 2 way tie for 6th.  Well actually Vikings would be 7th on that list if this is accurate and up to date.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/most-team-sacks-this-season

There are 11 teams ahead of them actually instead of "5" if they were ranked "6th".  

5 hours ago, Dolmonite26 said:

@Ozzy how many teams have this kind of depth at online that your asking for?

You're also cherry picking stats, considering that just about every outlet that charts players have the Vikings line highly graded and then there's the fact that they just did what they did to the 9ers defense. That was an incredible show of ability, so going back to the first two games is rather poor support of your point.

Philadelphia absolutely does and develops OL greatly because they have the best OL coach in the NFL.  Kansas City has quality OL depth as well, the 49ers are some what thin but then again they did replace their starting LT and he did ok but he is their best backup OL, their depth on the OL is a question especially on the interior.  Dallas has moderate OL depth and some decent backup players for sure.  Lions are pretty thin with backups outside of Glasgow who is a backup OG or C for them.  Packers have solid depth on the OL and have to deal with injuries a lot and big time injuries.  Seattle has good depth also and had to deal with both starting OTs being out and were able to get by, have backup guards who are solid and backup tackles and center with potential.  Texans have very quality depth and it has shown with multiple big time injuries on the OL this year and they still hold up.  Dolphins have done ok with some big time injuries as well and have guys who are versatile and can fill in, same with the Patriots but that was a little extreme at times and I think once they had four starters out but still had depth and guys who might need some more development filling in.  Ravens have extremely quality backups with some great developmental players as well.  I like the Browns depth a lot as well and they lost their Pro Bowl RT for the year and Jones fills right in and in super talented along with some other guys.  Bengals also have crazy depth on the OL, have not had to use it as much but many versatile parts who can fill in when need be but also need more time together with some new parts....So yeah many teams have way more quality depth on the OL than the Vikings do.  

There are teams that have that kind of depth, and it is not cherry picking stats, it happened and I am not pretending it did not.  The Vikings OL got rocked a lot early in this season and out of those four games gave up well over 40 QB hits, that is not some freaking great OL.  Where is one is looking at to see charts of the great Viking OL, well again yeah maybe after their best performance in arguably years of play against the 49ers.  That one game does not make a season and their play before that game did happen still even though it was in the past.    

Kirk Cousins has been getting freaking killed year in and year out for multiple seasons.  And there is a difference between getting sacked and getting a QB hit, Cousins has multiple games where he has got hit double digits and again that happened even this season way more than one or two games.  

If they Vikings OL can put out consistent effort like they did against the 49ers week in and week out, awesome but they have yet to do that in arguably years and have never really done that consistently in the entire time Kirk Cousins has been here.  It is a miracle Cousins has never got seriously injured with as often as he has been hit.

So glad to see Brian Flores is at least impacted the QB on the other side a bit and playing more aggressively and being far more creative than last year which was not creative or aggressive on defense what so ever.  

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Vikings Defensive Ranks since Week 4:

Yards allowed per play = 3rd
Turnovers forced = 3rd
Rush yards allowed per carry = 5th
QB Pressures = 5th
Sacks = 6th
Total TDs allowed = 9th

VikingAge.com

Again sorry I never saw it but since week 4?  Who cares about since week 4 statistics it is going into week 9.  I guess it might show improvement I suppose but what is done is done and does still count.  

Vikings currently have 9 takeaways, the top team in the NFL has 16 and the bottom has 5.

Yards per attempt passing they are 19th with  6.8.  But the really bad thing is they have a 74.6 completion percentage against them which is 31st in the NFL or 2nd worst in the league.  Teams have completed 173 out of 232 attempts which speaks to the bad CB play I assume or lack of depth there and is not a good sign.   Mayfield 61%, Jalen Hurts 78%, Herbert 85%, Bryce Young 78%, Mahomes 75%, Fields/Bagent 66%, Purdy 70%...

But an impressive 7th in the NFL in yards per carry at 3.6, still kind of deceptive because they are 15th in rush yards allowed per game.  

Not great on those passing stats but still Brian Flores provides a much needed attitude to the unit and they are improving and playing better as the year goes on and they get the system down.  So considering what he is working with he is doing a lot of good things.  If he have Davenport and another CB that would be great and improve a lot of things, not to mention a true pass rushing DT who can actually get to the QB.  

it. shows. improvement.

significant. improvement.

what did we all hope for at the beginning of the season with the Flores signing? improvement. and i'd say we will continue to improve with the same trend.

jeez, it even makes watching Viking games more fun. kill me, if that's not the goal of sports - to entertain.

• Like 4

Kindle Vildor, Mario Goodrich, Tiawan Mullen are all on the Eagles practice squad and Josiah Scott was before and not is on the active roster.  They have had a lot of moving parts with the Maddox injury on the slot then bringing in Roby and he is even hurt.

Not totally sure but I think Mekhi Garner is on the Eagles practice squad a lot as well.  The first three though are all potential slot corners especially Goodrich and Mullen.  I am curious why Flores does not bite on another corner to put in the room and play the slot allowing Murphy to be outside.  Maybe they think Booth will come around and are happy enough by his little progress to stay firm, or they like the development of Blackmon I guess.  Still the depth is very questionable unless they are greatly confident in Coldon, Thompson, or Jaylin Williams.  

Essang Bassey is another one that was floating around but now is on an active roster with the Chargers, and even Michael Ojemudia is on a practice squad currently.  There are guys out there I think worth a shot but if Flores does not have a connect to them doubt they bring them in.  

The Eagles have one hell of a practice squad with Tarron Jackson, Ben VanSumeren, Thomas Booker, Devon Allen, Noah Ellis, Greg Ward and Brandon Smith.  Defenders on the wait ready to go in most of them, not to mention the guys I talked about before but possibly Mullen might not be on their PS anymore.  Either way that is four corners at times on the Eagles practice squad the Vikings could have used one of them currently.

Curious if Flores likes Asamoah or not in his system, because if not I would trade him if possible, seriously long term I think VanSumeren has a better chance in the league than Asamoah does because he has been instincts.  

8 hours ago, vike daddy said:

it. shows. improvement.

significant. improvement.

what did we all hope for at the beginning of the season with the Flores signing? improvement. and i'd say we will continue to improve with the same trend.

jeez, it even makes watching Viking games more fun. kill me, if that's not the goal of sports - to entertain.

True but it is a business and winning is not just about serendipity or something.  

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 1

If the Eagles have a "hell of a practice squad" as you say, why haven't other teams signed those players to their 53-man roster?  Honestly, I'm not signing other teams' PS players unless I'm extremely concerned about our current roster...and we already have 2 CBs on our PS that can be called up if necessary...who already know the defensive scheme and playcalls.  Trading for a guy with starting experience and who potentially may be an upgrade is one thing...picking up someone else's "scraps" is another, especially if they aren't even good enough to make it as a special teamer.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, swede700 said:

If the Eagles have a "hell of a practice squad" as you say, why haven't other teams signed those players to their 53-man roster?  Honestly, I'm not signing other teams' PS players unless I'm extremely concerned about our current roster...and we already have 2 CBs on our PS that can be called up if necessary...who already know the defensive scheme and playcalls.  Trading for a guy with starting experience and who potentially may be an upgrade is one thing...picking up someone else's "scraps" is another, especially if they aren't even good enough to make it as a special teamer.  

You do realize the Eagles have the deepest CB room in the NFL right?  And teams usually do not sign guys off other teams practice squads because unless a coach in the building can vouch for the guy and has experience with them they do not trust it or take that chance.  Or if a team was really high on that specific player in the draft, but outside of those two things teams just do not do it because yeah it speaks to the GM and clearly the GM does not want to get fired or admit they picked the wrong guy here or there.    Easy to talk smart if you basically only care about super star players and Pro Bowlers, they get a lot of attention but do not make up the entire roster and last time I checked football is a team game.

Knowing the scheme is important no question but to pretend the Vikings do not absolutely need another CB to step up in a big way is flat out ridiculous.  Maybe that will be a guy currently on the roster maybe not.  Also to call them all scraps on the Eagles practice squad, well that is just stupid because some of these guys have just started in the NFL and are rookies or are in their 2nd season, call them crap after that is a bit of a reach.  You check and see though in 3-4 years who is better VanSumeren or Asamoah.  Much less who is better in a few years or still around Goodrich, M. Garner, Mullen, Scott or Vildor....or the Vikings guy in what CJ Coldon Jr and Jaylin Williams?

Washington apparently will be on the trade block if they lose to the Eagles and their playoff chances go downhill, seems a bit extreme but it was brought up Montez Sweat, Chase Young who are both off the contract after this year and will be free agents and Jonathan Allen who has expressed dislike of how things have been running there.  Still not totally sold on ok lets trade away a lot to get one of those edge guys for one season.  All depends on price I guess but not sure there is a precedent for such a move on super talented DL like those three.  ZaDarius Smith is clearly not a precedent being an older dude and probably close to retirement with his injury history.  

It seems like the Vikings defense is finding its footing and building its identity, despite being so varied in its personnel groupings seven games into Brian Flores' tenure as defensive coordinator.

Minnesota leads the NFL in blitz rate at 56.8 percent, according to Next Gen Stats.

The Vikings aggressive play has helped limit three of Minnesota's past four opponents — all featuring young starting quarterbacks — to 17 or fewer points.

vikings.com

• Like 5

FWIW, I never called them crap...I called them scraps.  There's a difference.

Either way, the Eagles are deep in their secondary in name only.  They certainly aren't performing like it this year, as, at least according to a couple of different sources, the Vikings' secondary has been far better than the Eagles have this year.

I don't feel the same way you do, I see no urgent need to bring in any CB help.  I'm okay with where they are...they've actually been far better than I expected, especially compared to last year.  I think Flores has done a great job with them this year and I'm far more interested in bringing in DL help than I am CB help.  That's more critical of a need than CB is.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, swede700 said:

FWIW, I never called them crap...I called them scraps.  There's a difference.

Either way, the Eagles are deep in their secondary in name only.  They certainly aren't performing like it this year, as, at least according to a couple of different sources, the Vikings' secondary has been far better than the Eagles have this year.

I don't feel the same way you do, I see no urgent need to bring in any CB help.  I'm okay with where they are...they've actually been far better than I expected, especially compared to last year.  I think Flores has done a great job with them this year and I'm far more interested in bringing in DL help than I am CB help.  That's more critical of a need than CB is.

This where I am also.