In Flores We Trust - How Good Can This Defense Be?

cconocool

7 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

What’s amazing about this is from a talent standpoint, there really isn’t much there in terms of proven talent. Seems like a mix of mediocre free agent vets, young guys who weren’t drafted high (or at all), and Danielle Hunter. 

I think at the NFL level a lot of coaching success is about not having an ego and using the tools in the toolbox to do what they were designed to do. A tiny UDFA LB that hits like a truck and wins pass rush reps should rush the passer. A veteran safety that can play almost any position on the defense should move all over and take advantage of matchups. Man coverage corners should play in man coverage.

Flores is getting the maximum out of his guys and proving that most NFL players have talents that land them on rosters. Coaches just have to use it effectively.

Edited by JDBrocks
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, JDBrocks said:

Flores is getting the maximum out of his guys and proving that most NFL players have talents that land them on rosters. Coaches just have to use it effectively.

it's the opposite of cramming a square peg in a round hole and insisting it will work out.

Flores and KOC reshape the equations in front of them, to use the variables they have of players' abilities.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

it's the opposite of cramming a square peg in a round hole and insisting it will work out.

Flores and KOC reshape the equations in front of them, to use the variables they have of players' abilities.

a lot of flash in the pan coaches have success when they get a bunch of guys that fit their scheme, and then go elsewhere only to fail because they insist it's the scheme that works, and not the guys that run the scheme. Mike Martz is always the guy that comes to mind for me with that mindset.

KO and Flo seem to be the opposite of that, or at least not wired that way.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

that's really rude and antagonistic. so he has a differing viewpoint?

might want to just let it go...

Differing viewpoints are great. But honest discussions can’t be had when someone goes on long winded responses with counterpoints to positions that no body made. 

And when it happens over, and over, and over again, I’ll stand by my statement questioning reading comprehension. 

• Like 1

So, hypothetically, should Flores end up with another HC job and we are looking at potential DC's again next year, who would you want? Where would you look? Internal candidate like Daronte Jones (DC at LSU but otherwise been a position coach), or an external candidate?

7 minutes ago, RpMc said:

So, hypothetically, should Flores end up with another HC job and we are looking at potential DC's again next year, who would you want? Where would you look? Internal candidate like Daronte Jones (DC at LSU but otherwise been a position coach), or an external candidate?

I don't think there's anyone that does what Flores does, so it'd be hard to expect to replicate what he's doing this year, but Jones would be a good candidate. I'd also look at Kris Kocurek from SF.

6 minutes ago, RpMc said:

I think I’d go with Jones. I certainly don’t see any external candidates who are going to come in and build off of Flores’ scheme. 

I think it’s pretty well known that Jones is well thought of by O’Connell and the players that you see if he can keep some continuity going. 

Otherwise I think you’re going to end up changing the scheme, again. 

27 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Differing viewpoints are great. But honest discussions can’t be had when someone goes on long winded responses with counterpoints to positions that no body made. 

And when it happens over, and over, and over again, I’ll stand by my statement questioning reading comprehension. 

but you see... what is your end game? what do you hope to achieve?

that he changes his opinion and agrees with you, and the logic you used to get to your point? do you think that's going to occur? do you think insulting him personally makes it more likely to occur?

sometimes we just reach a point where no further forward movement can really take place. so the best alternative then is to ensure we don't move backwards as a result of something that can't succeed.

my two cents, nothing more than that. but i can ensure you those two pennies are valuable.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I think I’d go with Jones. I certainly don’t see any external candidates who are going to come in and build off of Flores’ scheme. 

I think it’s pretty well known that Jones is well thought of by O’Connell and the players that you see if he can keep some continuity going. 

Otherwise I think you’re going to end up changing the scheme, again. 

I wouldn’t mind looking at any former head coaching retreads. Sometimes those guys end up sticking around like Dan Quinn and the Cowboys. I’d rather be looking for a new defensive staff every other year than an offensive staff. Any head coaches likely to be fired that were once good defensive coordinators? I just hope whoever they bring in if Flores leaves has a more aggressive nature.  

Edited by vikingsrule

3 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I’d rather be looking for a new defensive staff every other year than an offensive staff.

I wouldn't.  We had a revolving door on the offensive staff when the HC was a defensive guy.  Having a revolving door on the defense now with an offensive staff would likely lead to the same situation.  They need some stability overall on the staff for more than just a season at a time.  They're not yet to the point of the 49ers where they can lose coaches and not really miss a beat. 

9 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I wouldn’t mind looking at any former head coaching retreads. Sometimes those guys end up sticking around like Dan Quinn and the Cowboys. I’d rather be looking for a new defensive staff every other year than an offensive staff. Any head coaches likely to be fired that were once good defensive coordinators? I just hope whoever they bring in if Flores leaves has a more aggressive nature.  

Unfortunately there really aren’t any of those coaches that I would see as worthwhile. Unless there is a surprise firing like Robert Saleh.

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

I think we all expected the Flores hire to be an upgrade from Donatell, but the way the defense has stepped up over the last month+ has been truly extraordinary. Their performances have been instrumental in covering up any mistakes the offense with Josh Dobbs is making and will inevitably make, and will be the key to a playoff run and a playoff run where we could really make some noise. 

• Like 5