GDT Week 5: Eagles(4-0) @ Rams(2-2) - Trip out West... Hopefully not a Trap?

AZ_Eaglesfan

Eagles travel out west in a NFC battle vs a surprisingly good Rams team. The Rams offense has been putting up some solid performances this year, and while their Defense is young it is still headlined by one of the best defenders ever in Aaron Donald. Traveling all the way out west is always difficult even though I do expect Eagles fans will likely takeover SoFi stadium.

Eagles have been pretty damn beat up this year and that looks like it is going to continue with another injury we had vs Washington: 

With Jurgens out at least a couple weeks Opeta will have to step up and play good football. He looked adequate vs Washington so lets hope that continues next week.

We really need help in the secondary this week... so one can only hope that Brown and Evans have recovered a bit and are ready to play. Tomorrow's injury report will say a lot.

The Rams are a pretty good team. Stafford has played really well so far this year and if Kupp comes back they have a nice trio of WR's in Puka, Tutu, and Kupp. We will need to play better in coverage and let the pass rush work a bit. Stafford will put the ball in harms way if we do that so we need to capitalize.  If we can double Donald and keep him out of the backfield I think our offense should definitely be able to get yards in bunches. You can get the Rams both on the ground and through the air. Hopefully the Eagles are up to the task. I don't think they are a contender for a title by any means, but this Rams team has the ability to win any game week in and week out.

I am actually travelling to LA for this one as it was the closest Eagles game to me this year. Should be a blast and I am hoping Eagles fans just take over the stadium.

So what we thinking?

Edited by AZ_Eaglesfan
  • Like 1

I wouldn't consider it a trap by any means, a difficult game against a good team only not as good as in year's past.

This game is super important for us, if we win we will either have the 1st place in the NFC or 2 game advantage over the Cowboys for the division. We're just a quarter of the season in, but given the second half of our schedule, we need any cushion we can get. 

2 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Kelce gonna have to slide to wherever Donald goes.

Yeah he was going to do that regardless of any injury! Just gotta hope Landon can hold his own for most of the game. 

Zero doubt Donald will be on Opeta's side most of the game!

17 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Kelce gonna have to slide to wherever Donald goes.

That being said, it will open a blitz gap.

The Eagles higher rated backs in pass pro are Scott and Penny.

Might we see less of Swift and Gainwell on third down?

Maybe not in the first half, but as the game progresses.

3 hours ago, babyatemydingo said:

That being said, it will open a blitz gap.

The Eagles higher rated backs in pass pro are Scott and Penny.

Might we see less of Swift and Gainwell on third down?

Maybe not in the first half, but as the game progresses.

Scott is back healthy, so maybe he gets more looks. Penny will probably be inactive.

That is one area I definitely wanna see Swift get better, but maybe he just is what he is in pass pro.

And, as far as Donald I feel like we've done a solid to good job on him, so I'll trust Stout/Kelce to handle that.

I'm more worried about McVay versus Desai.

22 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I am actually travelling to LA for this one as it was the closest Eagles game to me this year. Should be a blast and I am hoping Eagles fans just take over the stadium.

If you're going to the game. I heard Quintin Mikell say on his podcast with Jason Avant that he'll be out there for the tailgating. 

I'm not sure Eagles fans will take it over like when we played the Chargers in that little soccer stadium, but there should be a ton of Eagles fans there. I think that group that does planned trips to different cities is going to L.A., so yeah, we should have a good amount there. Plus, there is a lot of Eagles fans in Southern California in general whether its transplants or just fans who had no team and latched onto the birds in the early 2000s like myself.

I went there last year for a game (Chargers-Browns) and SoFi has great acoustics, so if our fans show out we can make it really loud for the Rams when they're on offense. 

Niners had it rocking a couple weeks ago...

Should be a good time. Wish I could go.

Probably doubtful he plays this week as its pretty rare for a guy to get a concussion and come back the same week.

Olamide is listed on the Eagles website as the back-up punt returner.

Speaking of receivers... Quez was also back at practice today. Don't think he fully gets his job back, but we could still utilize his speed to help open some stuff up for other guys underneath like Goedert.

Hopefully Fletch is okay. One week he was on there for ribs, then last week it was knee, and this week is back. I'm not sure if he really has all those areas hurting or they're just using something as an excuse to sit him out of practice lol.

Not too much else surprising here. I guess Marlon with the tricep. If he can't go, then we might see Moro Ojomo active for the 1st time this year.

3 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

This is what worries me for this week

McVay is really good at utilizing stacks/bunches, so hopefully that's something Desai and the defense is correcting for.

That's been a problem since at least the Jacksonville game last year, so it is unlikely. 

• Like 1