GDT Week 5: Eagles(4-0) @ Rams(2-2) - Trip out West... Hopefully not a Trap?

AZ_Eaglesfan

6 minutes ago, Jays3 said:

Has anybody said what went wrong on that interception play? It seemed to me like it wasn’t just a bad throw, I think Jalen and AJ weren’t on the right page for whatever reason. I think Jalen anticipated a different route or AJ opening up to the sideline or something.

It was a bad throw.

11 minutes ago, downundermike said:

It was a bad throw.

I found this. So this wasn’t necessarily a bad pass then, it was just a great play by a player that studied his film. Sometimes the defense just makes good plays and he was sitting on that one.

43 minutes ago, Jays3 said:

Has anybody said what went wrong on that interception play? It seemed to me like it wasn’t just a bad throw, I think Jalen and AJ weren’t on the right page for whatever reason. I think Jalen anticipated a different route or AJ opening up to the sideline or something.

I mean Jalen clearly was trying to throw back shoulder while AJ was carrying to the corner. He should have just thrown it to the corner in that situation, but if they were on the same page it likely would have just been incomplete and not an INT. 

1 hour ago, Jays3 said:

Well Sirianni lit Jalen up on the sideline, so I think that's a pretty solid indication that he was not happy with Jalen's decision making there.

12 minutes ago, CasperX22 said:

Well Sirianni lit Jalen up on the sideline, so I think that's a pretty solid indication that he was not happy with Jalen's decision making there.

But as acho pointed out in the video above, they did this play in the first half and it worked. So I don’t understand blasting him on one play and not on a similar play earlier in the game. Unless he did at the end of the first half and I just didn’t see it.

I just think there’s more to it than meets the eye, that’s all I’m saying.

I'm very pleased with the change from Gannon to Desai. Although we have some serious problems in coverage (which was the case with Gannon for different reasons anyway), it is refreshing to see that we are not siloed with the same D-Line rotation/personnel for each situation, which made us super predictable. We blitz more which means the team will know how to do it in the post-season, but he doesn't play with the edges as wide that's the downside, which has made our edges less effective rushing the passer. 

It's going to be interesting how it looks when Dean comes back, Roby gets more used to the team and hopefully Sidney Brown is playing a bigger role. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jays3 said:

But as acho pointed out in the video above, they did this play in the first half and it worked. So I don’t understand blasting him on one play and not on a similar play earlier in the game. Unless he did at the end of the first half and I just didn’t see it.

I just think there’s more to it than meets the eye, that’s all I’m saying.

It was quite clear live that AJ had his man beaten deep and that is where the ball should have gone.  AJ was to far past the defender for a back shoulder throw.

14 minutes ago, downundermike said:

It was quite clear live that AJ had his man beaten deep and that is where the ball should have gone.  AJ was to far past the defender for a back shoulder throw.

AJ wasn’t even past the defender till way after the ball was already in the air.lol

in the moment I did not appreciate how good our D played in that 2nd half. Eagerly awaiting some nice Xs & Os film breakdown to learn specifically what we did to hold Kupp in check after he beat us on same concept 4x on 1st drive. Looked like he would have an insane game but after that drive only other notable play he had was the huge gain against Slay, which to me was just a great route & throw to beat man coverage.

1 hour ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

in the moment I did not appreciate how good our D played in that 2nd half. Eagerly awaiting some nice Xs & Os film breakdown to learn specifically what we did to hold Kupp in check after he beat us on same concept 4x on 1st drive. Looked like he would have an insane game but after that drive only other notable play he had was the huge gain against Slay, which to me was just a great route & throw to beat man coverage.

Me too. I think it will be very interesting to see people break down the progression the defense had. The adjustment that was made to contain the passing game is impressive..

Kupp/Puka 1st half: 9 catches 120 yards 1 TD

kupp/puka 2nd half: 6 catches for 69 yards 0 TD

An adjustment was made to contain those two, and it worked. Might actually be one of the main reasons the eagles won.

Edited by Jays3

18 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Yeah, feels like a long time ago now tbh.

But, y’all have definitely surprised a lot of people this year with your level of play, especially with the level of talent you have on the roster which I don’t think is too great like I’m surprised the defense was top 10 in so many categories coming into this game. Stafford is playing really well so far this year from the pocket when he gets time, but we were able to get some pressure on him in the second half. I’m not sure if you’ll get a wildcard or not, but I’m sure you’ll be in the race. Two of your losses were against the only undefeated teams left so that’s not too shabby. I do have to say though that we are the Aaron Donald stoppers. One of my favorite defensive players ever to watch, but he has 0 sacks in 5 games against us and only 1 TFL. Pretty wild considering I think he’s arguably a top 3/4 defensive player ever like there isn’t many players you can put in the same class as him.

While that’s true is also a bit unfair. Donald has never really played with a stack line. He’s gotten other guys payed. But imagine if he ever had a Dline like the eagles or Niners for his career. His numbers would Be outrages. Not to mention the doubles and triples he sees.. He would always have 2 guys on him every play. Also, you can kinda tell age is catching up to him. we need to trade for another guy to suck 2-3 more years out of him. Otherwise he might see single digit sacks.. Best of luck going forward it looks like we’ll see a rematch of last year’s championship game. While you guys may not be clicking at all cylinders 5-0 is a great outcome… The talent discrepancy showed up in the second half. Man I was just impressed with Jalen keeping downs alive with his feet. We had him stopped dead to rights on 3 3rd and longs. He broke some tackles and made it happen! As a fan it sucked the wind I can’t imagine what it did for our defense.. Baring injury we might be a competitive.500 team but unless our young talent shows up fast we might be below what. Stafford being healthy helps but it’s a big concern going forward. Best of luck guys! You guys are a rough and tough team. Mammoths on both lines.. You gotta be happy with how you guys are winning. They may not be blowouts but they’re closing teams out and to me that’s more impressive. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EAGLES3658 said:

I thought it was on AJ as well. Aj was looking at the ball and never made an effort to go back for it. 

Agree! Not sure AJ and Hurts were on the same page, just like the Swift INT. 

In the end 3 of his 4 INT were either great plays by the DB or a miscommunication.  All 3 absolutely suck but we're not talking about throwing into triple coverage type , no business thriwn that  GD ball type situations.

Both the AJ/Smitty Int could of just as easily been TD and we are not having this discussion.  Let's be real.

Edited by Nabbs4u

1 hour ago, El Ramster said:

While that’s true is also a bit unfair. Donald has never really played with a stack line. He’s gotten other guys payed.

Oh nah... you're definitely right about this, especially THIS year. Like the talent on that line outside of him is just pretty bad like they're relying pretty heavily on Byron Young (older rookie) who I kinda like to be like the 2nd biggest contributor.

Eagles have also pretty much ever since Donald has been in the league had a great OL that could send a great center to help on doubles against him. Not that Donald didn't have some more one on one match-ups yesterday. Dickerson did a nice job against him on a couple I think. But, yeah its gonna be hard for him to beat such a talented line without other guys making his job a little easier.

2 hours ago, El Ramster said:

But imagine if he ever had a Dline like the eagles or Niners for his career. His numbers would Be outrages

Definitely. That's why even though Carter has 23 pressures in his first 5 games as a rookie versus Donald's 7 pressures... I have to consider that he may be playing on a better DL. Although Chris Long, Robert Quinn, and Michael Brockers was pretty good lol.

Also, you can kinda tell age is catching up to him. we need to trade for another guy to suck 2-3 more years out of him. Otherwise he might see single digit sacks..

Sacks yeah maybe, but he'll still get his pressures. He had 22 and was leading the NFL coming into our game and now he's still tied with Carter at #1 with 23. But, I agree I hope they're able to get him some more help to finish out his career. It's still wild to me that you guys really haven't made a 1st round pick since I think Jared Goff???

Best of luck going forward it looks like we’ll see a rematch of last year’s championship game. While you guys may not be clicking at all cylinders 5-0 is a great outcome… The talent discrepancy showed up in the second half.

Yeah, SF is gonna be really hard to beat this year though. They definitely have a huge advantage having Purdy on his miniscule rookie deal like they're paying him Mr. Irrelevant money which might as well be nothing lol. There is no way they would be able to afford some of their defenders and like CMC if they didn't have that going in their favor. They won't have to start paying him until 2026, but hopefully they'll have to give him a boat load of money cause he's gonna continue to put up big stats with Shanny. Definitely looking forward to that day.

Man I was just impressed with Jalen keeping downs alive with his feet.

Funnily enough he hadn't been running much at all and when he would escape the pocket or a defender got near him he would just go down immediately. It was like he was trying extra hard not to get hurt. But, he made some crazy runs in the game against y'all. Like the one where 2 guys bounced off him or the one where he patiently waited for Donald to pick a side of the offensive lineman before committing on which way he was going. Chris Long said on his pod before the game that the Rams aren't always the most disciplined in their rush lanes so this was gonna be a game he could take advantage of his legs. Jalen isn't the most athletic from a speed perspective, but dude is powerful and he can make nice cuts.

Baring injury we might be a competitive.500 team but unless our young talent shows up fast we might be below what. Stafford being healthy helps but it’s a big concern going forward

Yeah, I mean that may be true, but so far you have to love the fight you've seen from the team even against the likes of the Eagles and Niners. You just are too outclassed talent wise to win those games, but you definitely need some more good drafts and to bring in the right FAs in the offseason. I'm not sure you'll sneak into the playoffs, but either way you're a more fun team than people expected you to be.

Best of luck to y'all moving forward as well!

You guys are a rough and tough team. Mammoths on both lines.. You gotta be happy with how you guys are winning. They may not be blowouts but they’re closing teams out and to me that’s more impressive. 

I know Hurts and Sirianni aren't gonna let the team not have a growth mindset, so I'm pretty confident in the fact they'll keep improving as the season goes and that's just what they've done the past few weeks, so that's encouraging.

Upcoming schedule is brutal, but its gonna tell us a lot about this team.