Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?

NinerNation21

Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?

The ultimate irony in this discussion is the fact that the Chiefs are in the superbowl right now literally because the greatest game changer on the planet (Patrick Mahomes) transformed into the ultimate a game manager for the post-season.

If Josh Allen was more of a game manager he might be in the superbowl instead. 

The bottom line is you have to be proficient at being both.

If you're too much of a game manager you become Alex Smith.
If you're too much of a game changer you become Jameis Winston.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

He's just said stupid **** over the years, and seemed like a diva too much at times. I was talking about my perspective if he was the franchise QB on the team I support. I'm used to the more professional behavior from the perceived captain of the squad that Joe, Steve, Jimmy, and Brock have displayed as a public figure. That may not matter for you, but I was speaking for me, so I'm not sure why you're grouping Carolina as a whole as if whatever they felt I should feel the same way??? That's a random irrelevancy. 

If he's moving the goalposts then that really isn't the same as backing down from a perspective. That's just being stubborn, and refusing to give any ground in fear of being wrong. And why is that type of opinion worth taking seriously when it displays such an obvious fallacy in it's logic that it instantly crumbles??? 

Honestly this soft stance of "he's just sharing his opinion" is pretty surprising coming from you mate considering how many times you've brought the hammer down on Lombardi for doing the same thing on anything he says where he's just speaking his mind too. 

Lol, I'm not taking your bait on Lombardi. 

He's moving the goalposts but sticking to his original opinion. He's not wavering off his thoughts. Cam is just now adding more barriers to why he is not a game changer. Either that, or he didn't explain himself well enough initially. 

Anyways, it's stupid regardless of how good one thinks Purdy is or isn't to call him a game manager. Opposite of that. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Lol, I'm not taking your bait on Lombardi. 

He's moving the goalposts but sticking to his original opinion. He's not wavering off his thoughts. Cam is just now adding more barriers to why he is not a game changer. Either that, or he didn't explain himself well enough initially. 

Anyways, it's stupid regardless of how good one thinks Purdy is or isn't to call him a game manager. Opposite of that. 

View the dichotomies between the two people as you wish :)

I'd rather Cam stick to his original opinion without moving the goalposts, but oh well. You're right that this is all stupid. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

2 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

Really good stuff from Peter King on the 49ers/Brock Purdy. There's too much to quote, so i'll link the entire article below. Worth a read 

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/fmia/news/nfl-super-bowl-49ers-chiefs-kyle-shanahan-brock-purdy-peter-king-fmia

Funny, I didn't realize the comp pick came from CJ Beathard signing with Jax... a former Iowa QB opened the door for the Iowa State kid to come in

Everyone should give this a read, Peter King is one of the best to ever do it and really got Kyle to open up in a pretty short interview 

interesting bit here...

Now for one of the topics of the week. “Did you tell Brock Purdy you were trying to sign Tom Brady to start for the Niners last offseason?” I asked.

“I’m glad you asked me that question,” Shanahan said.

“Yes, I was serious about it,” Shanahan said. He said he and the young quarterback spoke about Purdy’s status as starter early last offseason. “As we talked, I’m looking at Brock, and he’s got his arm in a sling, and I really am not sure I’ve got a quarterback who’s going to be ready for the start of the 2023 season. That started all of this.”

I actually thought it was giving Brock the biggest compliment,” Shanahan said. “I let him know he’s our guy long-term. No question. And if Tom Brady wanted to come here and start for one year, that’s the only way you’re not starting when you’re healthy this year. That’s pretty cool. I wanted to assure him, ‘Don’t worry. You’re our guy. But how cool would it be if Tom Brady would be the quarterback here for one season? How cool would it be for you to learn from him?’

“I mean, if Brock never got hurt, this wouldn’t have been a consideration at all. I’d never have brought it up. But I’ve got to think about the team. What if he’s not ready in September?”

Moot point, as it turned out. Brady said no. 

Edited by adamq

5 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

Really good stuff from Peter King on the 49ers/Brock Purdy. There's too much to quote, so i'll link the entire article below. Worth a read 

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/fmia/news/nfl-super-bowl-49ers-chiefs-kyle-shanahan-brock-purdy-peter-king-fmia

This is unrelated to Brock but honestly a great question:

Very good question from a coach. From Russell Jones, of Albuquerque, N.M.: “I don’t claim to know more than NFL coaches because I just coach high school and youth football but there’s something I consistently see happen at the collegiate and pro level that baffles me. A team is down 10 points with under 5 minutes to go and they ALWAYS seem to go for the touchdown first, wasting valuable time. Why don’t they kick the field goal the moment they are in range instead of continuing to run the clock, wasting valuable time and then forcing an onside kick? It happened again in the NFC Championship Game and it’s never made sense to me. What am I missing?”

Like how has this not been tried before? Logically it never occurred to me but it makes a ton of sense.

10 hours ago, Geek said:

This is unrelated to Brock but honestly a great question:

Very good question from a coach. From Russell Jones, of Albuquerque, N.M.: “I don’t claim to know more than NFL coaches because I just coach high school and youth football but there’s something I consistently see happen at the collegiate and pro level that baffles me. A team is down 10 points with under 5 minutes to go and they ALWAYS seem to go for the touchdown first, wasting valuable time. Why don’t they kick the field goal the moment they are in range instead of continuing to run the clock, wasting valuable time and then forcing an onside kick? It happened again in the NFC Championship Game and it’s never made sense to me. What am I missing?”

Like how has this not been tried before? Logically it never occurred to me but it makes a ton of sense.

I think it would be a situational call. Like say you have two minutes left and you just had a big play that brought you from your own 45 to the opponents 10. In that case you aren't kicking the field goal first. The last game against Detroit it would have better served them to kick earlier, but not all situations are equal is my point.

9 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Brock is humble and puts on that on display in public....But no way do I believe this lol. Brock is a stone cold assassin and knows exactly who went ahead of him and at what pick lol. 

50 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Brock is humble and puts on that on display in public....But no way do I believe this lol. Brock is a stone cold assassin and knows exactly who went ahead of him and at what pick lol. 

Naw, people have different personalities. Not everyone lets people live rent free in their head like Brady apparently has for 20 plus years. Brock doesn't seem like the guy that will let something like that guide him, let alone eat at him. Rather he's continuedly talked about his faith in God as his guiding force, and that's so important to him, it's all that seems to matter. 

Montana was asked on record if he cared if he was picked in the third round, and he said no that he really didn't. He was just happy to have been drafted at all, and have gone somewhere to get an opportunity. Folks are different. Not everyone feels like they need to keep a vendetta of people picked ahead of them or "prove people wrong", which may seem like a form of mind control anyway. 

Personally I'm glad Brock's persona seems like a complete 180 from someone like Tom Brady's. A breath of fresh air as a consumer. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Naw, people have different personalities. Not everyone lets people live rent free in their head like Brady apparently has for 20 plus years. Brock doesn't seem like the guy that will let something like that guide him, let alone eat at him. Rather he's continuedly talked about his faith in God as his guiding force, and that's so important to him, it's all that seems to matter. 

Montana was asked on record if he cared if he was picked in the third round, and he said no that he really didn't. He was just happy to have been drafted at all, and have gone somewhere to get an opportunity. Folks are different. Not everyone feels like they need to keep a vendetta of people picked ahead of them or "prove people wrong", which may seem like a form of mind control anyway. 

Personally I'm glad Brock's persona seems like a complete 180 from someone like Tom Brady's. A breath of fresh air as a consumer. 

Certainly possible, but this guy is too competitive and too much of an "assassin" as everyone describes him to be to not know who went ahead of him...At least that's what I'm thinking. But it could be that he just happy to be drafted and have a chance to play in the league. 

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Certainly possible, but this guy is too competitive and too much of an "assassin" as everyone describes him to be to not know who went ahead of him...At least that's what I'm thinking. But it could be that he just happy to be drafted and have a chance to play in the league. 

Brock doesn't seem like the type that needs outside forces to motivate him.

Just because he's competitive doesn't mean he's fueled by the naysayers. 

I think Brock is just supremely confident in his abilities.

Not everyone needs to prove their critics wrong, as much as it's about validating the belief in themselves.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 3